The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 13, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1
kplender

What grain for 7mm for antelope?

I will be hunting antelope for the first time this fall and was wondering what grain you would use for antelope in a 7mm magnum? I am assuming a fairly light load? Thanks in advance!!
Old August 13, 2010, 05:44 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

140-150
Old August 13, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3
wpcexpert

Yeah 140gr is more than plenty. Any of the available 7mm selections will be more than adequate for antelope. Just like anything else...style of bullet and shot placement above all else.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 13, 2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
140-150
+1. Antelope are not particularly tough animals. Good shot placement is what matters above all else but any light load will do the job.
Old August 13, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
hooligan1

Hornady 139gr INTERLOCKS BTSP, is what I've been shooting out of my Vanguard and it loves em. I guess if you handload there is always these, and 140gr Ballistic Tips. For sure try the hornady Custom loads.
Old August 14, 2010, 04:03 AM   #6
HiBC

To each his own.I understand you can get really screaming velovities and a very flat trajectory with 140's.The 150 Nos Ballistic Tip is also a screamer,and not a bad choice,except one thing or two.I like to eat antelope.A 160,162,etc may not be as destructive.
I personally prefer to select one bullet weight,one load for a hunting rifle.Then it is always zeroed correctly and I only have one trajectory to learn.
I tend to use a 160 ,162,168 , in a 7 mag for everything.
You don't have to,but it works for me.
Old August 14, 2010, 06:49 AM   #7
nate45

Antelope a relatively small bodied animals, no need for heavy bullets.

If you hand load the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 130 grain Hornady Spire Point would be a really good light load for Antelope. I've shot one White tail with the 120 grain BT out of my 7 mm Rem Mag Sako and 4, or 5 with the 130 grain SP out of my old 7 MM Mag Ruger No. 1. They work very well. Anyone claiming they cause excessive destruction, has obviously never used them.
Old August 14, 2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Daryl

Quote:
To each his own.I understand you can get really screaming velovities and a very flat trajectory with 140's.The 150 Nos Ballistic Tip is also a screamer,and not a bad choice,except one thing or two.I like to eat antelope.A 160,162,etc may not be as destructive.
I personally prefer to select one bullet weight,one load for a hunting rifle.Then it is always zeroed correctly and I only have one trajectory to learn.
I tend to use a 160 ,162,168 , in a 7 mag for everything.
You don't have to,but it works for me.
That's exactly my concept, too; 'cept my experience lead me to use 145 grain Speer bullets. More specifically, the SPBT's and/or Grand Slams.

It's been my experience that they stay together better than most other brands, and I lose very little meat with them.

The last antelope I shot was in 1985, but that's what I used, and I lost only a very few ounces of meat.

I've used the same load to kill a couple of buffalo since then (one neck shot, the other chest shot), and the load works equally well on the bigger stuff. I've killed deer out to nearly 500 yards, bear as close as 15 yards, and a lot of stuff in between.

The fact that it's a very effective killer of varous sized game, with minimal meat loss is the reason I shoot it.

As you said, it's also flat shooting.

Daryl
Old August 14, 2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Get a box of each and find out which one your gun shoots the best. 130 or 170 doesn't much matter on that little critter but hitting him where it counts does. My brothers gun prefers 175 grain Federal Premium Power Shok. The 150 grain flavors were all over the place at 100 and barely on paper at 200, it's a gun thing.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 14, 2010, 04:21 PM   #10
HiBC

Nate45,You are absolutely right.I have never loaded 120 or 130 gr bullets in my 7 mag.I also have no doubt they are perfectly adequate for antelope.Actually,I do not take my 7mm antelope hunting anymore.I use 115 gr Ballistic Tips in a .257 Ackley.I cannot think of a better combination.
I think there is more than one way to do things.Your way can be right,and so can mine.
Small shades of grey,a 160 Sierra Boat tail will be less affected by wind if a 400 yd shot happens.But,for me,even that is minor as I try to be closer and closer yet in the wind.
What does matter to me(you can do it differently) is my rifle is a different rifle when I change ammo.If I practice,sight in,and know my trajectory within my duplex withe a 120 gr bullet for antelope late September,then I'd have to load 140's if I went deer hunting.different bullets,load development,etc,learn the holdovers.Oh gosh,I drew a cow tag and I can buy an over the counter bull,so now I'm using 175 partitions another trip to the range,but I have only shot the sight in rounds before I go to hunt.Or,worse,badweather,schedule conflict,I cannot get out and re-sight in.

For me,not for anyone else,for me,I like 115's in my 257,180's in a 30-06,165's in a 308,140s in a 7-08,69's or 75's in a 223,depending on which one,260 accubonds in my .375.
That is what I load,practice with,and they are always zero'd with.
While,once again,I agree the 120 will work great for you,a 160 will also work great for me.Cheers!!!
Old August 14, 2010, 07:27 PM   #11
crowbeaner

Hornady 139 grain Interlock or Sierra 140 Pro Hunter over 66.0 of RL 22 will do. Shoots like a banjo string.