The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 6, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1
JunyTuck

Just a newbie observation.

I'm new here after lurking for awhile. When I joined I read the forum rules and took them seriously. I hope my post's to date reflect that. My concern is that a number of member's continue to flaunt the rules of behavior or stay just on the edge avoiding censure. The Mod's do a very good job of stopping blatant violation's but it seems like some members ( especially with high thread counts) get a little more slack in pushing the envelope than others.
I like this forum alot and have learned a great deal, so I would hope that all members be treated as equals whether they have one post or 10,000! My hope is that this can be a forum for all levels of experience and not a domain for all the good 'ole boys that have the time to post often.
Seems like the " ban" button should be used more often than the "warning" one. Just an honest observation from a new respectful member.
Old July 6, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

First of all, welcome to TFL, JunyTuck!

Now, in order for your observation to have any merit, then you must know what private messages and warnings are issued by the moderators and to whom they are issued. I have a feeling you don't have that knowledge. Therefore, I have to ask how you came to the conclusion that more established members are given more slack than the member who joined only a week or two ago? If you are basing your observation on only one or two instances, that isn't a sufficient number to be called a pattern by any stretch of the imagination. For every instance you cite of an older member getting some slack, I can show you five instances where a "newbie" gets the same consideration.

It is practically impossible for the moderators to see everything that goes on in every single thread here. Therefore, one request all the moderators ask of the members of TFL is to help us out and report flagrantly bad posts by pressing the "Report this post" button ( ).

We don't take banning a member, any member, lightly. Unless the offense is obvious (spam, trolling, dual registration etc.), the necessity of a ban is discussed by the staff, often at length. This is where the established member might get some leeway. If a single incident of non-TFL behavior is weighed against years of good behavior, we would be remiss in not giving some weight to prior behavior and a good posting record.

Your implied suggestion that we keep our finger poised above the "ban button" will definitely not be accepted as a good suggestion.
Old July 7, 2007, 06:39 PM   #3
JunyTuck

MalH,
Sorry my inexperience with forums and procedures is obvious!