The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 18, 2011, 03:17 PM   #1
markj

A shooting right in front of you

My co worker witnessed this event:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2011101...ep-police-busy

spoke to the cops gave descriptions etc. Shooter was shooting at a guy on a moped right in front of his vehicle.

How would you react?What tactic would you use in this situation?
Old October 18, 2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Patriot86

Not sure if you are asking what I would do if I was the guy getting shot at...or just a bystander. Unless I am the target, the GET THE #### down or get to cover tactic works pretty good for starters.

The shooting sounds gang related and unless my family or I was directly threatened I would probably stay out of it.

If the guy on his moped was infront of me I would probably run his ass over. Unless you are carrying a serious gun, I would worry about penetrating the windshield then what the bullet would do beyond the penetration.
Old October 18, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
markj

Sorry, let me clarify that

just a bystander

the shooter was across the street the van was headed towards the shooter, the mo ped came out of a parking lot in front of the work van. In the pic the shooters were right where the yellow line is.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:42 PM   #4
AdamSean

If I or any of my loved one were not involved in a shooting nearby, I would remain behind some type of cover and observe as much as I could while being safe. That way I could relay the information to the police so they could do their jobs and turn the wheels of the justice system. It is not my responsibility to engage in a street fight that is going on near me. I don't know all the details of the situation. For all I know it may be an undercover police officer making a critical decision that ends up saving countless lives. The truth is we really don't know what we WILL do in any given situation.

I have been close to a shooting in the past. I was standing outside with a friend of mine in the downtown area of Birmingham, AL when shots opened up less than 50 feet away. We both dove behind his car. I was carrying and did draw my pistol into a ready position, yet I stayed behind the car. If the threat came to us, I was ready, but I kept safe by staying behind cover and noting the car speeding off and the direction. I believe what I did was the best thing anyone could have done.

Hope for the best, but train for the worst.
Old October 18, 2011, 10:12 PM   #5
farmerboy

Hope for the best, train for the worst and Hide! Hahahaha. That's funny
Old October 19, 2011, 12:55 AM   #6
CTA Trainers

Self preservation. After that is achieved. Observe and try to remember details in order to be a good witness.
Old October 19, 2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Steel Talon

I would di di mao.....
Old October 19, 2011, 03:22 AM   #8
briandg

I don't know. There will be thousands of little cues that tell me what to do.

I could not just ignore it and I don't think I could just drop and hide.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:32 AM   #9
Outlaw81

Wait till the perp isn't looking.... and R U N O F T!!!
Old October 19, 2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Whirlwind06

Here is what I did.

One night around 2am about 10 years ago I was sitting in my living room getting ready to go to bed. I lived in the inner city at the time. I hear a couple guys arguing in front of my house. I look out and see the 2 guys about 20 feet from my front door yelling and pushing each other. Then the guy facing me pulls out a revolver and shoots the other guy. The other guy seeing a gun starts running towards my house! The shooter is chasing him and shooting more rounds at him.

When I saw and heard the first shot I hit the ground, grabbed the phone and called 911. Meanwhile I hear shots being fired all around my house, these guys ran all around the house with the shooter firing the whole time. This all happened in about 15-20 seconds

Get off the phone with 911 hear the now victim moaning in my front yard. Come out he is holding his belly. I tell him cops and EMS are on the way. Grab a hand towel and give it to him. (Not touching him HIV/AIDS risk IMO)

LEOs get there, EMS gets there take him way (LEO's told me later the victim was going to be ok). One out 6 bullets hit him. LEOs look for bullet holes, don't find any. I can't give much of a description. Finally get to bed about 2 hours later.

About 2 months later, I find a bullet hole in the trunk of my car. The bullet went through the license plate, so it was really hard to see. I looked around in the trunk and find the round, it was either .32 or .38.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:32 AM   #11
Skans

If I had my cell phone with me, I'd call 911. Other than that, I'd stay put in my vehicle with my gun ready to go. Not about to engage in a car-to-car shootout with someone.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:39 AM   #12
Deja vu

Quote:
If I had my cell phone with me, I'd call 911. Other than that, I'd stay put in my vehicle with my gun ready to go. Not about to engage in a car-to-car shootout with someone.
I agree 100%.

1. Keep your self (and your family) safe
2. Call 911
3. Be the best witness you can so the police can do there job.

the gun is what you use when you don't have the option to hide/get away.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 19, 2011, 09:43 AM   #13
TailGator

I agree with the above posts. First priority is safety, and I have no idea what is going on or who the bad guys and good guys really are in this situation. Clear leather and prepare to defend against any direct threat, look for opportunities to seek cover, including the cover of distance from the shooter. Drive away if possible. Exiting the vehicle if it is trapped or boxed in in some way may or may not be prudent depending on which direction the bullets are flying, how close other cover may be, etc.

Whirlwind, you did fine except I am not sure I would leave the cover of my house in the situation you described. I wouldn't want to be there if the shooter left to reload and came back, for example, and a towel doesn't really change the course of abdominal bleeding - it just makes applying pressure to the wound a little neater. Your compassion was admirable, but it put you in at least some amount of danger.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:50 PM   #14
markj

Yeah his was safety too but in a moving van with other vehicles behind and in front it was a scary situation he says.

He called 911 on our company phone which also sent a call to our police force here on campus which also responded to the call.

He remembered the color of the pants and jacket and shoes the guys were also caught on film but so far no one has been arrested.

So today somone puts a small bag of popcorn in the microwave, yep poof up in flames, alarms go off fire dept shows up cops too had to go outside and wait till they checked it all out.

Maybe we will get hazardous duty pay
Old October 20, 2011, 11:37 AM   #15
tmorone

On halloween night in 2008 or 2009 I was in downtown Spokane, WA and watched a guy get shot twice in the chest- then the shooter started shooting at 5 or 6 of us standing on the sidewalk about 75 feet away. I hit the ground, and people on both my right and left sides were hit as they stood there and screamed. Remember the parking lot sign above my head had a hole in it. Was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. Overall 4 people were hit I think, and the first one shot was dead right there.

I was unarmed, so trying to get out of his line of fire and make myself the smallest target was the best option.
Old October 20, 2011, 12:28 PM   #16
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
If I or any of my loved one were not involved in a shooting nearby, I would remain behind some type of cover and observe as much as I could while being safe. That way I could relay the information to the police so they could do their jobs and turn the wheels of the justice system. It is not my responsibility to engage in a street fight that is going on near me. I don't know all the details of the situation. For all I know it may be an undercover police officer making a critical decision that ends up saving countless lives.
I think that is the best tactic and I'd like to think that's what I'd do. I would probably turn tail and run like the dickens, calling 911 once I've gotten as far as I could run (not very far). I wouldn't want to stay near the scene because

1) too many times in my life (twice) I've resembled the suspect. Thats probably because I'm average weight, height and because of my ethnic background I'm often mistaken for being alot of different races, including regular old white guy.

2) More than often I'm carrying and I dont want to be any where near the scene of a shooting or surrounding area while armed.

3) I do what ever I can to avoid being physically harmed or harming someone else. I've found that running is the best way to avoid both.

Some people have a visceral need to intervene or provide assistance. Some states even have laws that make it compulsory. When it comes to fighting, shooting or violence in general, I prefer to run. Sure there are some circumstances that are exceptions to the rule (old ladies, danzels in distress, children, ect.).
Old October 21, 2011, 06:55 AM   #17
omkhan

Some months ago,

I was having lunch with my colleagues on the 2nd floor of a restaurant. We heard shots from down the street. Went to the windows to see whats happening (Dumbest Idea, I know). So here we saw 2-3 guys in sitting position firing in a particular direction which we could not see. The other side was also returning fire. It was a mess, women, bystanders etc were all could be seen running to find some safe spot. Suddenly a bullet came in on the 2nd floor making a hole in the window. At this spot every 1 in the restaurant laid down. I called 15 (our version of 911, supposedly) and informed the police which came in 5 minutes after the shootout which lasted around 3-4 minutes hardly.

Later it was learned through news that a political figure (who I also saw firing) was attacked by assassins of a rival party but he and his private guards repelled the attack. No casualties happened but it was indeed a scary incident.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:24 PM   #18
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkhan View Post
Some months ago,

I was having lunch with my colleagues on the 2nd floor of a restaurant. We heard shots from down the street. Went to the windows to see whats happening (Dumbest Idea, I know). So here we saw 2-3 guys in sitting position firing in a particular direction which we could not see. The other side was also returning fire. It was a mess, women, bystanders etc were all could be seen running to find some safe spot. Suddenly a bullet came in on the 2nd floor making a hole in the window. At this spot every 1 in the restaurant laid down. I called 15 (our version of 911, supposedly) and informed the police which came in 5 minutes after the shootout which lasted around 3-4 minutes hardly.

Later it was learned through news that a political figure (who I also saw firing) was attacked by assassins of a rival party but he and his private guards repelled the attack. No casualties happened but it was indeed a scary incident.
Where do you live?
Old October 26, 2011, 04:46 AM   #19
omkhan

Karachi, Pakistan