The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2011, 06:45 AM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Need Help With Primer Confusion...

For a current .357 Mag. load I have been useing the Winchester WSPM primers simply because the Hodgdon loading chart I use says to use them and I can get them locally in small amounts. I am planning on buying more but in slightly larger amounts but do not see them listed in my catalogs. Are any or all of the small pistol magnum load primers listed below comparable to the Winchester WSPM ? Thanks...
CCI#550
Federal#200
Magtech#5-1/2
Remington#5-1/2
Winchester#1-1/2M
Old July 29, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
243winxb

Correct Primer for the 357 Magnum

Reloading data lists these primers to be used with the 357 magnum. CCI 550 Mag., WSPM, FED 200, REM 5 1/2 Reloading data lists these primers to be used with the 38 special and 38special +P. CCI 500,Rem 1 1/2, Fed 100, WSP, Speer list the CCI 550Mag primer for Alliant 2400. This info is available at all primer manufacture websites.
Old July 29, 2011, 08:09 PM   #3
engineermike

Have you looked at Powder Valley, Graf and sons, Natchez?
Old July 29, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

Thanks for the responses. I was sent a comparison chart by another member!
Old July 30, 2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Jim243

I use CCI 550 primers and never had a problem with them.

Jim
Old July 30, 2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Sport45

I've pretty much found all the small pistol mag primers to be interchangable. (With the caveat of always reducing max loads and working back up whenever changing a component of course.)

To add somewhat to the confusion, I've also been known to use standard small pistol primers with the .357mag when using the easy-to-light powders like HP-38, Titegroup, Unique, etc.
Old July 30, 2011, 10:06 AM   #7
lamarw

Currently Winchester brand primers (small pistol, shotgun, large rifle, and etc.) are the least expensive primers of all the brands Primer Valley sells. They are also in stock, and I just receieved and order of six thousand. Even with shipping and Hazmat fee they are far more reasonable than buying local if you buy in quanity. I also had some powder and Hornady rifle bullets included with my order.
Old July 30, 2011, 10:47 AM   #8
UtopiaTexasG19

Does "Primer Valley" have a web site? I've tried 3 search engines with no luck at all. Thanks...
Old July 30, 2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Vividia

He might have meant Powder Valley. Primer Valley might be valid but I simply havent heard of it yet since I have been reloading for only 9 months or so. Powder Valley I have.
Old July 30, 2011, 11:19 AM   #10
UtopiaTexasG19

I looked up the Powder Valley site and it shows the Winchester primers as the most expensive by the 1k. Maybe in larger amounts they give a break but as is the Wolf and Tula are much cheaper, though some sizes are out of stock.
Old July 30, 2011, 11:23 AM   #11
WIL TERRY

BY actual testing the WSPM primer is the most powerful of all the small pistol primers on the market today. Nothing else was really close. On the other hand all the rest do their job just fine, thank you very much.
Old July 30, 2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

And look for that to change some day. Primer specs change all the time with no public notice. That's why you always need to test each lot you buy. This article by a CCI employee explains that and other primer basics.

A chronograph is useful for making comparisons between primers. If velocity doesn't change, then the primers are equivalent. If it goes up you are getting higher pressure, and vice versa.

UtopiaTexasG19,

I just looked at Powder Valley and they show the Winchesters at $25/1000. A the other domestic brands are higher ($30 or $31/1000). Wolf and Tula are cheaper than domestic ($20/1000). So Winchester is the least expensive domestic brand, and the Russian ones are cheaper.

Personally, I prefer the Federal 200 because (so far) it seems to fire more reliably in revolvers with lightened springs. However, if I were loading for a tubular magazine in a lever rifle I would probably go with CCI to reduce sensitivity.

Note that Tula and Wolf primers are the same KVB9M primers made in the same plant in Tula, Russia. Powder Valley has stock in the Tula brand, but not in the Wolf brand. They are truly interchangeable (being that they are the same).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; July 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old July 30, 2011, 09:17 PM   #13
ironhat

Quotes UtopiaTexasG19: "Thanks for the responses. I was sent a comparison chart by another member!"

How 'bout a little love for the team, Utopia TexasG19, and post the chart, pleeeeeease?!?!
Old July 31, 2011, 07:33 AM   #14
UtopiaTexasG19

Here you go. Does not show foreign made primers.....
http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp
Old July 31, 2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Shoney

Here is another primer cross reference chart which also gives primer pocket depths:
http://www.lasc.us/primerchart.htm

Here is an article on primer flash test FWIW:
http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 31, 2011, 09:12 AM   #16
brickeyee

You realize that NOT all .357 loads even require magnum primers?

It depends on what powder you are using.

Some are very easily ignited and work just fine with a regular primer.

Some are harder to ignite, or used i enough quantity that a magnum primer is a good idea.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:34 AM   #17
UtopiaTexasG19

Ok, So where does one find the information?
Old July 31, 2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Note that RWS is foreign made. Also note that it is not currently being imported at all, so that table is outdated. Most primer ranking information is short lived, as mentioned in the article I linked to, which is why load manuals don't typically publish primer tables. The rankings change too frequently.

Basically, you don't normally require magnum primers for easily lit or very fast powders. I find medium to long grain stick powders almost never need them. They light easily. Quick powders like Bullseye, 231, Unique, Universal, don't need them in anything I've found. Hard to light powders, like 296 usually are more consistent performers with magnum primers.

However, as with many things, the proof is in the pudding. The article I linked to points out that some rounds can benefit from the greater pressurization of the empty space in the case done by magnum primers. That improves MV consistency when it is helping. So, the best way to tell is to take a chronograph out and see what primer gives you the most consistent muzzle velocity with your powder and it's starting load. Then adjust your charge weight to get the velocity you want or the best accuracy with that particular primer afterward.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle