The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 10, 2005, 08:11 AM   #1
qurious

Browning Hipower

Just wondering where I can check on the history of a Browning that I've had since the early 80's.
Any suggestions where I might be able to find this info.?

FN Browning
Made in Argentina
9mm semi-auto SA
13 rd mags
Old January 10, 2005, 08:40 AM   #2
HunterTRW

Browning has a feature on their Website (www.browning.com) called "Date Your Gun" which may be accessed via the "Services" tab (located toward the top of the page). Click on this and you can drill down to information for your specific Browning model.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Last edited by HunterTRW; January 12, 2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old January 10, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3
qurious

Browning HP

Thanks for the link.
Old January 10, 2005, 04:15 PM   #4
MVF

qurious,

High powers made in Argentina were made at the military arms and munitions plant in Rosario, under license from FN Herstal, until the late 80's or so. Now the FM Model 90 and FM Model 95 were also made there, but after the license was lifted by FN, thus, the quality control standards overseen by FN are not necessarily in place currently (do a search over at www.fnhipower.com for more details). You cannot date your pistol through Browning's website as Browning did not import the FN manufactured pistols. Rather the Argentinian pistols, although sometimes stamped "FN," are designated as FM by the manufacturer and were imported in lots by various importers (e.g., Armscorp of Silver Springs, MD) and should bear an importer stamp of some sort. The one I had was stamped on barrel, frame, and slide with a matching six-digit serial number sans letters.

Forward a little more information and maybe I can be of greater assistance.

Sincerely,

Michael