The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 16, 2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Bella

Indoor or Outdoor?

I prefer shooting at outdoor ranges. Indoor ranges seem to echo sound. I realize indoor ranges have ventilation, but I still seem to walk out of them with a headache.

Also there is a limited distance that you can shoot and how big of a gun that you can shoot.

Actually I prefer to find places to do informal plinking.

So, what about the rest of you? Where do you prefer to do your shooting?
Old October 16, 2014, 10:53 PM   #2
TDL

I belong to a Walton League. I try to do some shooting in bad weather as adversity is always good training.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:21 AM   #3
jasmith85

I have never gone to an indoor range. The only time I went to an actual shooting range was when I took my carry permit course and it was outdoor. I am lucky enough to live in the middle of nowhere so I do all of my shooting on private property. If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go outdoor though. Much better scenery.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Sevens

I have a hard time imagining there's going to be a heap of people who are ever going to choose an indoor range over a great outdoor range, but I have to keep in mind that everyone has their own experiences and a really great indoor range probably comes somewhat close to a really lousy outdoor range.

To me, it seems obvious that indoor ranges have a lot of faults and negatives that I could list:
irrationally noisy, next to impossible to have even a bit of conversation
comparatively expensive, usually paying by the hour
excessive (often necessary) rules and enforcement of same
lots and lots of lost brass
smelly, dirty, cramped
busy & distracting

On the flip side, a decent indoor range gives me a place to shoot when the weather is completely wrecked -- typically in the depths of snow & ice winter hell. A good indoor range gives me extremely consistent light on my sights and target... not always fantastic light, but consistent light. And the indoor range is basically built around a hanging paper target that allows for affixing, retrieval and replacement right from my shooting point without a range stoppage and a cold range, which is certainly a welcome thing, especially when you're being charged as the clock ticks. I often look at the indoor range as a bit more "serious" session of shooting as the paper doesn't lie and it does NOT reward laziness or lack of effort.

For me, the winter season where I live typically means that 2-3 months are mostly or entirely LOST to outdoor shooting. During these months, I do very much look forward to the kind of shooting I experience on the indoor range, which is, in my opinion, a FAR different shooting experience than I get when shooting outdoors. And because it's a much smaller portion of the year, I look forward to it.

But if I were forced to choose one over the other, it's no contest and not close... I much, much, MUCH prefer the great outdoors.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Bella

Mr. Sevens

Do you prefer formal or informal outdoor ranges?

Informal ranges are the ones that usually found on public land. Its typically a bench and a berm and not much else. Policicing is left up to the shooters as is supplying most, if not all supplies. A user might even have to bring their own target stand.

Private ranges have an officer that runs and oversees the shooting. Shooting seccions are timed and so are the breaks. Often they even have a store to buy supplies and maybe a snack.

I prefer the informal ranges.
Old October 17, 2014, 10:10 AM   #6
zincwarrior

Indoors:
Good:
-Typically rapid fire.
-Typically shoot any distance.
-Good for inconsiderate weather.
Bad:
-Loud
-Typically pay by the hour or 30 minutes.
-Ventilation may not be great.
-Lighting may be relatively poor.
Note: The new one in Cedar Park Texas is the best I’ve ever seen. Extremely clean, extremely well lit. Its like one of the cool places you see in the movies.
http://www.shadyoaksgunrange.com/

Outdoors (regulated)
Good:
-Typically pay to get in – so can relax and shoot all day.
-Typically have longer distances to shoot.
-Typically unlimited on types on calibers.
Bad:
-Weather may not be your friend.
-Often not rapid fire approved.
-Range officers can be good or bad.
-Set distances.

Other outdoors (open areas and bay shooting)
-HAPPY HAPPY FUN TIME!
Old October 17, 2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Jimboh247

I've shot at both indoor and outdoor:
I'll give a few good and bad for both.

Indoor is good because the weather doesn't affect you!
Indoor is good because brass is easy to find!

Indoor is bad because it is really loud! You have to keep Ear protection on constantly, because even a .22 sounds like a cannon, and you can't really regulate who's firing next.
Indoor is bad because my SR9c seems to eject it's cases over or around any known barrier, usually landing on the guy in the next lane.

Outdoor is good because of the fresh air. I don't feel like I have been dipped in a vat of grime when I'm done shooting.
Outdoor is good because you tend to have a much larger area to keep your stuff. My local indoor range is definitely space limited for spots to hold your bag, ammo etc.
Outdoor is bad because your brass usually flies everywhere!
Outdoor is bad because of rain and extreme heat always keep me from shooting. It doesn't really snow much in NC, and cold won't stop me.

Outdoor is bad because of all the brass that can be left behind!
Old October 17, 2014, 03:26 PM   #8
condor bravo

Both depending on the weather and how far I feel like driving. Outdoor ranges are some 40 or more driving miles while a great indoor range is only 10 miles; thereby much incentive to go to the indoor range most of the time. Indoors great for handgun but due to limited distance serious rifle shooting cannot be done. So indoors I shoot all rifles from standing off hand 10 shot groups, with scoped or non-scoped rifles. Much of this is with reduced loads since the range disapproves of anything much over .300 Wby.
Old October 17, 2014, 04:01 PM   #9
southjk

Unfortunately there is nowhere to shoot outdoors close by. So for me, indoor range it is.
Old October 17, 2014, 07:39 PM   #10
OPC

Definitely prefer outdoors. Less chance of ricochets, less noise (reverberations), longer distances.

Interestingly, Seattle Times published an article earlier this week on lead exposure, especially at indoor ranges. Read here: SeattleTimes
Old October 17, 2014, 07:48 PM   #11
hoss1969

OUTDOOR.

First I admit Im a range officer at a outdoor range. But the outdoor ranges tend to allow a more types and calibers, automatic 's than a indoor and longer distance shooting and rifle and shotgun shooting. Outdoor ranges tend to allow reactive and steel targets, clays. The also tend to have more room between shooters and some have private shooting between dirt berms.

Weather can be a big problem to some. Covered shooting areas help with the sun and rain. Mine is luckily in an area were snow is not a factor and rain is limited but we have extreme high summer temps, UV INDEX ect that make a shade a must for those days.

While indoor is more comfortable in the high and low temp. The indoor range is more restrictive and costly especially with OSHA regulation and increased health hazard to the workers and shooters.
Old October 17, 2014, 08:27 PM   #12
subhuman

since I have my own range set up on my property outdoor is my choice, if I move all the way back across my yard to the back porch I have 80 yards to shoot across , I have 35 yards in gravel with range stakes set. I shoot at an indoor range now and then but I don't like it
Old October 18, 2014, 02:23 AM   #13
thunderarms

I am a member of an outdoor range shooting club. Most indoor and outdoor ranges for that matter only allow you to stand in one spot at a fixed distance and shoot one round at a time. Thats about as boring as watching grass grow, not to mention it does not prepare you for a real world situation.

My range allows shooting while moving, drawing from concielment, rapid shooting and multiple shots at varying distances. and use of a shot timer.
01 ffl dealer
Old October 18, 2014, 06:22 AM   #14
zach_

I prefer indoor ranges when shooting pistols, or an ar at 25 yards. The convenience of railed targets is huge. As far as air quality, Eagle in Lewisville, TX has the best air. Almost as good as outdoor with a breeze. Summer time can be brutal when it is really hot at an outdoor range.

I only know of a single 100 yard indoor rifle range around here. I went there to check it out. No real shooting benches to speak of, only a simple pistol bench. There was an inexperienced shooter with an ar, standing, attempting 50 yards shooting off hand. An employee (R.O. ???) standing there watching. The guy ricocheted the first shot off of the wall about 30 feet down range. The employee said nothing. I left immediately. I have not been back. Same range had a R.O. have an AD with an injury on their grand opening weekend.
Old October 19, 2014, 08:56 PM   #15
Snyper

I haven't done any indoor shooting since the 60's, shooting 22's at a National Guard Armory.

But then I've always lived where I had access to private land to hunt and shoot all I wanted

A friend used to own an outdoor range open to the public, but I'd only go there during the week to avoid the crowds.
Old October 20, 2014, 10:51 AM   #16
skoro

I much prefer outdoor, but use an indoor on rare occasions when I don't want to deal with weather.
Old October 21, 2014, 01:26 AM   #17
Brotherbadger

I grew up shooting outside, so indoor ranges seem weird to me. Personally, I prefer outdoors. It is nice too be indoors in the middle of January though.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old October 21, 2014, 10:48 AM   #18
TailGator

I do most of my shooting indoors. For much of the year in southern Florida, A/C is a very good thing.
Old October 21, 2014, 10:57 AM   #19
wogpotter

Outdoors.
(However I reserve the right to re post in February when its 20 below & there is 4~7' of snow on the open range.)

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”