The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 5, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Bobisnext

Pietta 1860 Cylinder location issue

I recently had to replace the hand and spring on my Pietta. (Ive put probably 1000 rounds through it in the past year, and the spring finally broke)

I had to file the hand down a little to get rid of a burr on the side.

However, when I reassembled it and took it to the range last night, the cylinder and hammer did not line up accurately. I had to cock and pull the trigger several times on each chamber to fire it.

I cleaned it thoroughly later and put caps on without loading the cylinder. Again it took several tries on each cylinder to fire the cap.

I also noticed when I put it back together that when I went to half cock and spun the cylinder, I did not get the same click, click click that I had before.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Bob
Old April 5, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Welcome to the forum Bob.

Take the pistol apart (Cylinder off the arbor) and examine the extent to which the hand protrudes from the frame with the hammer at half cock.

Could be the spring needs to be sprung out a bit.

Also....

You are saying the cylinder does not go into battery when the hammer is back all the way.

Does it go too far or not far enough?
Old April 5, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Hawg

The new hand is not a drop in fit. It has to be filed down for the timing to be right.
Old April 5, 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Bobisnext

Pietta 1860 cylinder location issue

Hi hog and doc:

Thanks for reply.

I think the Hammer does not to come forward enough to consistently fire the cap. Also doesn't line up with cylinder consistently

The spring and hand went into the hole in the hammer ok but I had to file down a burr on the side where the hand was possibly welded. Maybe I need to file more?

Your thoughts??

Thanks
Old April 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Hawg

The new hand is too long. It is NOT a drop in fit. It has to be filed down to the correct length for the cylinder timing to be correct. If you don't have the old hand to go by you have to file a little and install it to check timing. Keep repeating the file/install process until lockup is perfect.
Old April 6, 2012, 05:30 AM   #6
mykeal

Hawg is correct.

The reason the hammer isn't hitting the cylinder properly is that the hand isn't putting the cylinder in the right place.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Hawg is right

I have never replaced a hand that did not need filing.

On the other hand if the cylinder is not getting to battery but the hammer IS going to its normal position in full cock, then the hand is likely too short. You can't file it to make if longer.

This is the reason for my question, "Is it going to far or not far enough to be in battery?".

A good idea in hand replacement when the problem is a broken spring on an otherwise properly operating pistol, is to compare the length of the broken hand with the length of the replacement hand.

A hand that is too long will:

1. Rotate the cylinder some distance beyond battery. As Mykeal said
or
2. Force the hammer to stop early and perhaps even too early to set the full cock detent.
or
3. Both

As Hawg says, if this is the problem the hand needs filing.

Another symptom of a too long hand although it is hard to detect is that in some cases the shooter has the perception that it is taking more force to start the cylinder in motion. My theory is that this is because of the angle of the hammer when the hand srikes the ratchet.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:44 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Maybe this well help.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...a_Part_One.pdf
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles...a_Part_Two.pdf
Old April 6, 2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Hawg

Good post Doc. I didn't go into that much detail cuz I never saw a new hand that was too short.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Hawg,

I agree with you. Neither have I.

I have accidentally made hands to short through over-enthusiastic, ill advised, and just plain dumb use of a file but never straight from the vendor.

If this hand is too short, it is probably the wrong hand.