The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
buenhec

Delta Elite 10mm convert to 9mm?

Hi,

I would like to convert my Delta Elite 10mm to 9mm for steel shooting.

I have read several posts on this forum of shooters who did this successfully. Some said they just changed the barrel. Would I need another bushing?

Would anyone be able to list the exact parts I would need. Specifically a Brownells part number? There are so many variations to the parts.

So far I think it would be the barrel, spring and mag?

Thanks
Old November 25, 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
jackpine

I'll take a stab at this and say if your asking what parts you need would you know how to fit them to spec?? It's not a drop in deal. Get some 1911 shop manuals and then think about doing this
Old November 26, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3
LDBennett

The biggies are the barrel and the ejector. I believe the bolt face on the slide may also be different. Those are the differences I know of. There may be other more subtle differences.

As the cartridge exits the mag is has to slip up and under the extractor. As part of the guiding of the cartridge into the chamber, the bolt face has a cut in it the width of the cartridge rim. Obviously 10mm and 9mm have different rim diameters. This could effect feeding 9mm cartirdges using a 10mm slide (??). This needs investigation.

But why do the conversion at all if you reload and you are only trying to reduce felt recoil. (Is that you concern???) 10mm is easily down loaded to 40 S&W levels. I don't like the heavy twisting action of full load 10mm and download all my ammo to 40 S&W levels using 10 mm brass for my Delta Elite. Using lighter bullets helps too.

LDBennett
Old December 3, 2013, 04:37 AM   #4
HiBC

Its your gun.

Some folks might think a Delta Elite in 10 mm is kind of special.

IMO,for less money than modding your Delta,check Philipino 1911 9mms.I expect you can get a "tactical" version for $500 ish

Or,look at a 9mm Fusion kit,or?STI doublestack?Frame is about $450

Your Delta is about 10 mm.Even if it means selling it,I'd let it be what it is.
Old December 3, 2013, 07:59 AM   #5
CowTowner

^^ I'm with HiBC ^^
I think the Delta should be what Colt set out for it to be.
The are lots of 1911 style pistols chambered for 9mm available and will have a price tag cheaper than the conversion.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 3, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
RickB

I'd think the toughest part would be getting the gun to run reliably with a 9mm case and a 10mm breechface. I have heard that some manufacturers use the same breechface for 10mm and .38 Super, and others use the same, but smaller breechface for .38 Super and 9mm, but it may be too much of a jump from 10mm to 9mm.
In my experiece, 1911s manufactured in 9mm are not as reliable as Super/10mm/.45, so trying to cobble together a good-running 9mm from a 10mm might be difficult. The money might be better spent on handloading equipment, so that 10mm loads can be tailored for what you want to do. I've loaded some 135gr and 155gr bullets for my 10mm, and you could easily come up with loads that will ring the steel with minimum recoil.
Old December 3, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
HiBC

Another option,if you want to shoot steel with a 9mm.

I own 1911's.I have never fired a Glock.I'm not a rabid Glock fan.

But,for a modest investment,by reputation,out of the box you can get busy shooting steel.Doublestack,etc.Just a thought.

Not lately,but I have seen police trade ins in the $300 range.

Back to the conversion idea,a .40 S+W would be easy.I understand 10 mm brass is a limiter,but 40 is obtainable.

Remember,1911's are often not "just swap parts" guns.A little fitting/tuning is usually necessary.An ejector is not a quick parts swap.Going 40 could be practical.

Last edited by HiBC; December 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Tags
10 mm , 1911 , 9 mm , conversion , delta