The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
jcsturgeon

Small Safe?

I currently own a Beretta 92FS, a Rock Island Armory 1911, a Beretta U22 Neos, a Beretta Stampede, and a Ruger LC9. Since I don't have any children I have yet to invest in a gun safe. Still, with my collection growing, what would you guys recommend? I have a few long guns too, and I am looking to not spend too much.
Old December 12, 2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Jim Watson

My safe cost as much as my three best guns.
But I have accumulated a few more than you.
Old December 12, 2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Dino.

Don't buy something you'll grow out of when you can buy something you can grow into (and you will!).
I have a decent size Cannon safe that holds all my rifles and handguns.
I only paid around $700 for it at Costco.

When it comes to safes ... bigger is better.
(that's what she said)
Old December 12, 2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Yung.gunr

I paid a little over $400 for a Stack On fire rated safe (not cabinet). It's a 24 gun safe and I thought I was going big, but it is already pretty full. Glad I didn't go any smaller. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods on Black Friday. If you hold out for another year or so to save up the cash I understand they have great Black Friday sales on safes every year. You could end up saving a lot of cash by just waiting.

Oh and don't waste your money on a small safe. Get one that you think will take a couple years to grow into. Then go one size bigger.

Last edited by Yung.gunr; December 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:48 AM   #5
shortwave

Good advice so far with the 'bigger is better' approach.

Also remember the weight. Nothing makes a thief any happier then to break into your house and find that for him, you have consolidated all your valuable guns in one neat package that he and his buddy can pack out in one trip.
Old December 12, 2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Yung.gunr

+1 ^

When I was at Bass looking at safes and cabinets the salesman had a good thought.. "If you don't bolt down your cabinet all you have done is make a nice carrying case for a thief to take all your guns in one trip"

Wise words... Either bolt it down or get one heavy enough that it will take a lot of time and guys to get out. It took myself and three other guys to get the safe up into place.
Old December 12, 2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Flapjack23

Bigger IS better

Buy something that will look empty when you have all your guns in it. You will be surprised how quickly it fills up.
Old December 12, 2011, 01:36 PM   #8
nate45

Looks like only Jim Watson might have a real safe.

If you want a real safe thats small and secure and only for a few handguns look at a small TL-15. They have interiors that are approximately 18" high x 16" wide x 12" deep. It would take advanced safe opening skills to get into. Its compact, but heavy +/- 750 lbs. You might could find a used one.

As far as mid priced Gun Security Lockers go, its pretty much a no brainer, between the Amsec BF series and the Sturdy Safe. After that if you want more security you pay at least twice probably three times as much for an Amsec TL-15/30, or a Graffunder E/F rated safe.

Anything less than the above can be cracked open with a pry bar, sawzall, fire ax, etc.

I know, I moved last year from a home that had an old basement storm shelter that I had converted to a vault, to one where I needed a new safe. I did a lot of research and know what I'm talking about.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Adirondack

^^ +1 for what nate45 said.

I own a Sturdy safe and would buy again or another without hesitation. They are a family owned company who completely fabricates their safes on site in Fresno Ca. The use high quality materials, have excellent craftsmanship and design and their warranty and customer service are top notch as well. IMO their safes are a big step up from the traditional RSCs (residential security container) you find out there. Without firelining, a 24"W x 19"D x 60"H is $1220 delivered: that's a gunsafe with a 7ga steel body (3/16" or 3 times 12ga thickness) and a 5/16" plate door. Their fire lining is excellent and well worth the price but you can always add some fire protection yourself later to your safe and save some money up front (I.e., fire rated closet etc).

http://www.sturdysafe.com/model2419.htm

Last edited by Adirondack; December 13, 2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old December 13, 2011, 06:23 PM   #10
thedaddycat

I've been looking at fire rated gun safes of late, too. I'm trying to decide between the Sturdy and Patriot brands. Both look pretty good and yes I'm going to go big. I'm looking at $2500-3000 for what I want, something that weighs probably half a ton enmpty. Then again, with a couple of rifles in the $1000 range and a lot more lower monetary value ones (there's no way to put a price on something that got passed from my Grandpa to my dad to me, and some day to my son...) it is well worth it if it saves them from thieves or fire...
Old December 13, 2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Adirondack

Quote:
I've been looking at fire rated gun safes of late, too. I'm trying to decide between the Sturdy and Patriot brands. Both look pretty good and yes I'm going to go big. I'm looking at $2500-3000 for what I want, something that weighs probably half a ton empty. Then again, with a couple of rifles in the $1000 range and a lot more lower monetary value ones (there's no way to put a price on something that got passed from my Grandpa to my dad to me, and some day to my son...) it is well worth it if it saves them from thieves or fire...
To be honest, instead of the Patriot Safes; Summit safes made by Prosteel are a closer match to Sturdy on security and fire protection. The Summit Denali Ex might be a little above your price range but the Summit Rainer should be in it.

You won't regret getting a Sturdy Safe though and $3000 will get you a really nice gun safe that will last you a lifetime and protect your collection better than most any RSC out there (Summit Denali I'd consider a tie.) Check out Sturdy's videos if you get a chance and give them a call, their safes are a great value IMO.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Technosavant

Quote:
I'm trying to decide between the Sturdy and Patriot brands. Both look pretty good and yes I'm going to go big. I'm looking at $2500-3000 for what I want, something that weighs probably half a ton enmpty.
If you haven't checked it out, you may want to investigate the AmSec BF as well... that's pretty much what I paid for mine delivered and installed.

A 1000 pound safe isn't all that convenient for thieves to take with them, even if it isn't bolted down. I'd hazard a guess that they aren't running around with the kind of equipment to take a BF 6030 along with them, and if they are, even bolting it down isn't going to stop them.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:16 PM   #13
a1abdj

Quote:
If you haven't checked it out, you may want to investigate the AmSec BF as well... that's pretty much what I paid for mine delivered and installed.

A 1000 pound safe isn't all that convenient for thieves to take with them, even if it isn't bolted down. I'd hazard a guess that they aren't running around with the kind of equipment to take a BF 6030 along with them, and if they are, even bolting it down isn't going to stop them.

I really like the AMSEC BF, and I also offer the Zykan B rate which is a better safe in many regards, and cost less. The lightest safe in that line is also just a hair under 1,000 pounds, although slightly smaller than the AMSEC.

I believe Patriot is misrepresenting their safes in several regards.
Old December 14, 2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Technosavant

Quote:
I really like the AMSEC BF, and I also offer the Zykan B rate which is a better safe in many regards, and cost less. The lightest safe in that line is also just a hair under 1,000 pounds, although slightly smaller than the AMSEC.
There's that one too. I thought the Amsec looked better and there were some weight issues.

Without trying to go too public, you know me and you installed both my 6030s not long ago. You're right, one does get used to the mechanical lock pretty quickly (but the electronic is still faster).
Old December 14, 2011, 11:55 AM   #15
PoorRichRichard

+1 to Dino. Keep an eye on the Costco website. That Cannon safe is great. I have 12 long guns and 4 handguns, and I still have a bit more roon in there. Now is a good time to look for them due to the holiday sales. Got mine for 650$ last year around this time- delivered to my door.
Old December 14, 2011, 10:56 PM   #16
saands

+1000 on the buy bigger than you think you need

I look at the sites that have pics (like Zykan's site) and just laugh at the safes they show with 4-6 rifles and one scope and a pistol or two ... maybe there are some safes like that in the world, but most of the ones I have ever seen have so much stuff crammed in that the owner has to have a strap to keep the contents in while he shuts the door

Saands
Old December 15, 2011, 12:06 AM   #17
a1abdj

Also keep in mind that the manufacturers each make their racks in their own fashion, then determine the capacity by the number of slots in the rack.

You could have two safes that are each 60" x 30" x 26", and so long as their internal dimensions are the same, would hold the exact same volume. However, you may notice that company A states a different capacity than company B. Don't buy one thinking you're getting any more capacity than the other (same goes for fire protection as well).
Old December 15, 2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Technosavant

Quote:
I look at the sites that have pics (like Zykan's site) and just laugh at the safes they show with 4-6 rifles and one scope and a pistol or two ... maybe there are some safes like that in the world, but most of the ones I have ever seen have so much stuff crammed in that the owner has to have a strap to keep the contents in while he shuts the door
The only way a gun safe will ever hold advertised capacity is if the safe owner only plans to store iron sighted traditional stocked .22s in it. Otherwise, it just isn't going to hold what people think.

If you're into AR-15s or other similar rifles, well, go ahead and divide that advertised capacity by at least two, and you're getting closer to a real amount. Some of the nicer ones (AmSec) include door organizers that will let you stash a couple rifles and a few handguns on the door itself, but even those can be a tight fit for some guns.