The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 12, 2000, 11:55 PM   #1
Riss

Have two prized Ruger Red Labels and a S&W 645 go up in smoke. Not really sure if they will be replaced by the insurance co. Forearms burnt up in the fire but the butstocks remained, a little charred though. The 645 is still in holster, missing the alluminum backstrap. I assume that it melted. Otherwise they look like they could be fixable. Any idea at which the stainless in the actions of the Rugers or the Stainless 645 would become ruined. The fire does not appear to have melted the stainless or the barrels of the shotguns. I had heard before of 750 degree embrittlement of steel. It think that is the point it can go to . Any ideas if I could rebuild and re-heat treat the guns ???????

------------------
An X is still an X with a Quarter Inch group at 100 yards
With a Quarter Inch Group on the keyboard an X could be - Z,S,D, or C.
I am a quarter inch typist - Please excuse the errors!
Old November 16, 2000, 07:24 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Riss I think you have a loss there. If I were you, I would contact Ruger and ask them. They have pretty good customer service. The S&W people are a mystery to me, but probably worth a call.

Giz
Old November 16, 2000, 12:41 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd suggest making arrangements to send the guns to the factory. They can check the Rockwell C hardness against loss of temper. And of course replace parts and repair if such is possible.

Art
Old November 16, 2000, 02:19 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would write them off as scrap and take the insurance settlement. I have tried to restore burned guns and, heat treatment aside, it just is not worth it. The stocks alone will cost more than the usual loss in insurance settlement (which pays used value, not new). So I think you would end up in the hole. Aluminum has a melting point of 933 degrees, although alloys are higher. If aluminum melted, chances are the springs are shot, the heat treatment is gone or very iffy, and if water got to them, the guns are a mass of rust. Forget them.

Jim
Old November 18, 2000, 10:59 PM   #5
Riss

the reason I am asking.............

The whole reason for asking is that I do lots of "light" gunsmithing work, and need to work on my familiarity with these guns. Much better to work on one that does not need to ever get put back together. HOWEVER, the insurance co will write them off as scrap and I can keep them to 'try' to restore if I wish. I figured I might as well try to restore them to working if it's possible. Thanks for the help.- Riss
Old November 20, 2000, 12:50 AM   #6
Jesse168

If you take your guns to your local machine shop they can do a rockwell test for you. Especially one of your larger shops. In all probability at no charge. It doesn't take but a minute or two for the test.

Jesse

Old November 20, 2000, 11:06 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Just to add in a war story: Summer of '52 (That's 1952, Dennis!), my father and cronies were driving slowly, one night, mumbling about going rabbit hunting. A fella running about 85 or so rear-ended the '49 Mercury they were in. Rolled, endo-ed, burned.

In the trunk was my father's Model 70, .220 Swift. The barrel was bent in the crash, and the stock burned badly in the fire. The scope, of course, was plumb ruint.

Winchester put a new stock and barrel on the action; it still shoots...

Damfino, Art