The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 29, 2015, 10:08 PM   #76
SVO

How about a Model 94 in good ole 30-30?
Old July 31, 2015, 12:46 AM   #77
samsmix

That's not a horrible choice, buy a bit overpenetrative for the job at hand.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 5, 2015, 08:07 AM   #78
Tikka_shooter

I live in a forest on 49 acres; so, shot after damage isn't a concern. Maybe if I stood on the roof with a 300?

In other environments, shot after damage and over penetration would be a major concern. If bullets started penetrating the walls of your house; my guess is you'd shoot back.

The M4, M16 and the MP5A are so popular with many worldwide Special Operations units is the ergonomics are good.
As the ergonomics suck; the best way to carry an AK is safety off and have the selector where it needs to be.
I own quite a few AKs and ARs in a variety of calibers; I apply Clint Eastwood's limitations to weapons as well as myself.

The unit that fought at Ia Drang fought with the M16 which answers any questions on the subject of combat reliability. As Colonel Moore was old school infantry; his Troopers cleaned their weapons.
Same as any soldier or Vet who has used the M16/M4 in combat; I don't debate what people believe or read online.
Old August 15, 2015, 06:10 AM   #79
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Still safe on farm with a Winchester 30M1 Carbine.All I ever had,100% dependable,probably on better health plan than me!Great posts guys.
Old August 15, 2015, 10:25 AM   #80
Pilot

I recently acquired an USGI M1 Carbine, and have been putting rounds downrange with it to assure reliability. Since home defense carbines are shot indoor, I am sensitive to noise, and muzzle blast, so shooting essentially a hot pistol round is fine for me. I will be using the M1 to supplement my 9MM and .45 pistols. YMMV.
Old August 27, 2015, 04:02 AM   #81
WV_gunner

For a carbine, I think .45 Colt is best. I used to keep a Rossi Circuit Judge loaded.