The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 17, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1
pwrstrkd

M1A Question

Dumb question but kinda bugging me. I used to hear a ding noise when dry firing my M1a after the trigger is pulled, like a resonating echo I guess is the best description. Anyways, now I dont hear that noise with that rifle, but I do hear it with my brand new standard M1A. Does this mean the hammer is slower or there could be a potential problem? I just dont get why it doesnt make the noise anymore.
Old June 17, 2012, 07:21 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

The ringing sound is likely from two things. One is the flash hider. If it doesn't it may have a crack in it. The other is the firing pin. It won't ring if there is a snap cap or spent shell in the chamber. It also may not ring if some crud has accumulated and has damped the movement of the firing pin.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old June 17, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
nbkky71

The flash hider is usually responsible for the ringing. If you get a "thunk" sound instead of a ringing when you dry fire, it may indicate a crack or flaw in the flash hider.
Old June 17, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
pwrstrkd

The other one is relatively new too, everything functions fine but just dont understand why I cant hear the ping at all. Its a socom 2 with the muzzle brake.
Old June 18, 2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Jo6pak

Quote:
Its a socom 2 with the muzzle brake.
There's your answer my friend. The muzzle brake doens't have the "tuning fork" effect like the flash hider.