The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 3, 2000, 09:20 AM   #1
Tracker

I saw this quote elsewhere in discussions here:

"The 686 is the Universal Soldier--it does everything well.Hot loads,soft loads,it doesn't matter-Accuracy too,you might need to add a millet sight..."

I have a 686+ 4" Mountain Gun. Love it. I've found the perfect grip. Now I'm looking for the perfect sight picture. Any suggestions? How 'bout that new light gathering tube S&W is putting on their new kit gun?

Thanks,
Rick

http://www.starseedcreations.com/RKBA.html
Old February 3, 2000, 09:31 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tracker, I've always considered the S&W sights to be the perfect sight picture. Millet makes a more or less replacement for the Smiths. I've made Ghost Ring sights for a few Ruger Blackhawks but have yet to be asked to make one for the Smith. Along with the Ghost Ring rear I can also install a fiber optic insert in the front. Folks seem to like them. If that sounds like what you'd be interested in feel free to e-mail me. George
Old February 3, 2000, 10:14 AM   #3
Tracker

The 686 came with a black front ramp, which when aligned with the black rear sight on a dark object, well everything goes dark. This may also be an issue of more practice. I've currently painted the ramp with one of those front site colors and that seems to help. I was thinking the light tube might be even better but I've yet to see one on a handgun.

Old February 3, 2000, 11:41 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tracker, I install red and green fiber optic tubes in handguns. Basically a slot is cut in the front sight with a ball end mill and the tube installed. Your local smith should be able to do this for you. I charge $25 so it should be relatively inexpensive. George