The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 10, 2005, 01:05 AM   #1
foogoo

.22 Scope basics

Hi, I've been shooting my Marlin .22 for a few months now with a lot of fun with the iron sights. I also have an SKS which is a good iron sight rifle so I would like to scope my .22. Can someone direct me in the right direction? What type and kind of scope rings should I look into? What is an affordable scope for a mostly plinker?
Old February 11, 2005, 12:16 AM   #2
tintcutter

Ok I am going to save you money and hassle.

The lowly 22 is a 50 yard gun for killing purposes. I like to plink at 100 yards for a challenge, so I have bench guns, and custom barrels and such. But the most fun you will have is to put that money into a clay target thrower and keep the iron sights. For useful purpose, a scope is silly on a 22. But then I have scopes on some of mine. Mainly the bench guns, and those scopes are sort of like spotting scopes at the same time, so I can see the dime sized target at 100 yards. Out past 0 to 75 yards those little bullets start doing wierd things. I mean they are only traveling about 1100 feet per second to start with, and I have a pellet rifle near that. So are the majority of pistol bullets. Ever see a guy with a pistol shooting to 100 yards?

Anyway, its not the scope type round. Unless the target is still, which is ok when you are sitting there at the range waiting on a big gun to cool its barrel for the the next shot, but not for chasing critters about the house. Your scope will be 1.5 inches higher than the bullet up close and that is a problem for something the size of a rodents head. Hitting a moving target is what makes you a good shot.

If you buy a scope make sure it matches the finish of the barrel. Rings also. If you buy a scope with caliber specific reticle markings, it will be easier to range bullet drop, and a mil dot will do in a pinch, you just gotta shoot til you learn what each dot means up and down and windage left and right. Problem is, when you try to shoot up close with a scope you will not be able to see much and will miss your target. Unless you practice that shot.

Get the clay tosser. Big fun. Warning though, it leads to shotguns for some.
Old February 11, 2005, 12:49 AM   #3
fastforty

Can't hurt, putting a scope on it. Ifya don't like it, you can always go back to iron sights. The Savage single shot Model 74 that I got when I was 8 years old is still the most accurate out of a host of 22's I now own. Never had a problem with headshots on sparrows at any barnyard distance, until I got into my late 30's. I thought that old barrel musta just been getting plumb wore out, after the countless 10's of 1,000's of rounds I've sent down it (actually, it was my eyes that were getting old). I finally broke down & had it drilled and tapped for a scope mount & mounted a shiney new $18 Tasco Walmart Special on top of it. Woohoo!!! I'd forgotten how fun & accurate that little rifle is. I think it's a 3-7 power scope, and anything but the lowest magnification makes it all but impossible to find a small bird in a tree less then 40 yards away. 7 power is great when yer looking to put a hole in a dime 100 yards away. Go for it, you don't need to shell out a lot to do it (though you might want to step up into the $50-$75 price range for a 1/2 decent scope).

Last edited by fastforty; February 11, 2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: numerical error
Old February 12, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4
foogoo

Thanks for the replies! I was considering a scope for targets at 100 yards. But reading a few other threads it looks like I won't be able to get a high quality scope without probably more money than it's worth on a plinker.

Tintcutter: Do you happen to work in a tintshop?
Old February 14, 2005, 09:02 AM   #5
johnbt

"The lowly 22 is a 50 yard gun for killing purposes"

I never knew...and lowly, too. Maybe you need to get a better .22.

As far as inexpensive scopes for a .22 go, I have no experience. You can find good suggestions at www.rimfirecentral.com

Good rings, and only $20 for the model 257, are made by www.bkltech.com

John
Old February 14, 2005, 06:54 PM   #6
greg531mi

Simmons has a rimfire special, starting at $29.95 to a target model for $119
BSA's for $29.95 to $39.95
Barska's for $24.95
Bushell Legend and Trophy $89.95 to $199
Tasco World Class, bought on sale for $29.95 after the $10 rebate...
Tasco, side by side with the above, beat those above, hands down, I bought the Worlds Class...in fact, I got a lot of flack about it, but it was almost as good as the Redfield, Nikon, Sightron and Weaver, comparing them side by side in the store, costing from $140 to over $300!!!
For a best value, buy the World Class.....
Old February 14, 2005, 07:10 PM   #7
bill k

I agree a little with what the others said I also disagree with some of the comments. You said you wanted it for plinking, plinking is having fun right? I have a cheap $29.95 bushnell on a 10-22 and it's a hoot to shoot. My son in law has a cheap BSA red dot scope on his. It's a riot to shoot. I've got one on order for another of my 22's. Just more food for the thought.
Old February 14, 2005, 07:25 PM   #8
tintcutter

Foogoo:

Yes, I tint for a living.

Johnbt:

I have 16 different .22lr long guns. You know something I don't or do u just hunt birds at 75 yards? Of course they kill something the size of a pepsi can at longer distance. However, at 240lbs, I wouldn't want to get shot with one at 100 yards because it would just hurt. I think if I give you general advice, I will at least be conservative. I have killed cattle with a 22lr at 12 inches.

I was talking about not listening to the animal scream, or witnessing torture. I have a few 22 magnums and a .223 black gun to fall back on, as well as others, but I wouldn't take a stray dog with 22lr. I would use the magnum at the minimum. I have friends that headshot these southern boar with 22lr, but that is close in stuff. Coon, possum sized critters at 50 yards, is the most I can consider for my own plans.
Old February 15, 2005, 01:19 PM   #9
johnbt

"The lowly 22 is a 50 yard gun for killing purposes."

I know for a fact that a good .22 will hit a squirrel in the head at WAY more than 50 yards. What are you talking about?

John
Old February 15, 2005, 03:03 PM   #10
Ohio Annie

I just got a BSA 4x32mm scope with rings from Sportsman's Guide for about 25 bux. It works great. Parallax is set at 50 yards. The rings fit on the dovetail, no drillholes required. Squirrels don't stand a chance, now that I can see them!
Old February 16, 2005, 06:39 PM   #11
tintcutter

JohnBT

"I know for a fact that a good .22 will hit a squirrel in the head at WAY more than 50 yards. What are you talking about?"

Your are making my point.

Re-read this part of my previous post:
"Of course they kill something the size of a pepsi can at longer distance."

My point is the size of an average kill is a little to large for the energy of 22lr past a certain point, mostly 50 yards. With Deer as the biggest game/target and quail as the smallest what weight is average? Or better yet, tighten it up and discard deer because nobody would really use 22lr on one, but they will go after feral hog with them (or stray dogs). I think humane hunters would never intentionally use too light a caliber, but they may do so if they simply are not aware of what that bullet is or is not capable of doing energy wise.

Re-read this part of my previous post:
"I have killed cattle with a 22lr at 12 inches." (headshot between the eyes for butchering purposes, so 22lr will drop quite large animals, but at close range.)

I am not saying the 22lr is not a deadly little round. But foogoo is talking about using it for the "mostly plinking" purposes in the original post. Meaning it will have other use, but general and unknown "other use". If he practices for that "other use" at the killing range, he will kill at the practice range. If he sets it up for squirrel at 75 yards, thats a special purpose. Special purposes are why I have so many damn 22lrs. Every time I think up a special purpose, I get to buy a new gun. But if I had only one, a truly general use gun, I would have iron sights set for 50 yards.

See?
Old February 17, 2005, 07:24 PM   #12
johnbt

I don't need to re-read your posts, I read 'em the first time.

For instance, "For useful purpose, a scope is silly on a 22."

Is not. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean others don't like them or maybe even need them.

Every time I think up a special purpose I end up buying 2 or 3 new guns it seems like. Oh well, it's only money and they say you can't take it with you.

John
Old February 18, 2005, 10:32 AM   #13
tintcutter

Ya got me, pard.

I as I get older, a little double vision in my sighting eye is making it more useful to have ghost rings on my iron sighted guns. So when I compare what I can see at 50 yard with and without scopes, I am not even using post sights most of the time.