The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
dal22ses

Just picked up my RUGER SP101. Maybe a problem??

Got it used for $400 very clean looking stainless steel 2.5" barrel 5 shot 38spl.

Got it home cleaned it up nice and noticed a little rattle coming from the frame near the section where the cylinder closes. The noise can be heard if you move the gun quickly or shake it. Yes this is unloaded still making the noise. The noise does not sound like it is coming from the grip it sounds like it is coming from the frame. When I open the cylinder I see a few spots that maybe the noise is coming from. But I am honestly clueless. SHould I bring it back to the gun store wednesday?

Any suggestins or is this common/normal. This is my first revolver among many semi's.

EDIT: I just looked closer with the hammer cocked and I see a small metal "plate" that is near the hammer. There obviously is no hammer spur but could this plate be the firing plate for lack of better terms here? It moves a little but if I shake the gun it rattles?

Thanks

Last edited by dal22ses; December 31, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Pahoo

Transfer Bar

Yes, was going to mention the transfer bar as they do rattle with somewhat of a ringing sound. I'd say you should be okay ...

Range-time and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 31, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
dal22ses

What does the transfer bar do for the gun? Sorry if that is a silly question
Old December 31, 2012, 06:09 PM   #4
DAVID NANCARROW

The transfer bar comes up as the trigger is pulled. The transfer bar is hit by the hammer to set off the cartridge. With the pistol at rest, the hammer nose rests on the frame and cannot strike the firing pin.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Glenn Dee

Dont worry about it... Just turn up the music... It'll go away. As long as it functions it's fine. Many service style weapons have a rattle in them. I'd suggest that you get to the range and test the ignition/transfer bar safety.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:40 PM   #6
dal22ses

Thanks very much for the help. Put my mind at ease. Now to the range in the next couple days.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:50 PM   #7
CajunBass

Quote:
Dont worry about it... Just turn up the music... It'll go away.
Glen called it. That's what we call a "radio noise". Just turn the radio up and it'll go away.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 31, 2012, 07:36 PM   #8
9mm

Yes, some revolvers transfer bars rattle, my Taurus 94 has a bit of rattle on the transfer bar, IIRC my GP 100 did also.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:05 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

The other source of rattling is often the loose & hollow ejector rod up front.
Neither is a problem.

The transfer bar is a flat movable part that normally sits down out of the way below the firing pin, leaving the hammer nose resting against the frame. When the trigger is pulled or the hammer is cocked, that transfer bar is raised up to sit between the hammer and the firing pin. Pull the trigger, drop the hammer, and the bar remains in place to transfer energy from the hammer through the bar to the firing pin, igniting the primer.
With everything at rest, there's no way the hammer can touch a primer to ignite it accidentally if the gun's dropped.

You can watch it move up & down if you manipulate the hammer backwards slowly.

There has to be some room to clear the bar's channel & to function through dirt & gunk, so the bar rattles.
Denis
Old December 31, 2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Pahoo

When all else fails; .......

dal22ses
This may sound a bit basic but one of the safety rules that I teach, is to read your manual. Now then, yours is used so somewhere back then, the manual got lost. Go on line and download a manual or request a hard copy. The last one I got for my ROA, took three days to recieve. In fact, your barrel probably mentions this manual. Those ruger folks are great on customer service. .....

Red, Shoot and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 31, 2012, 09:14 PM   #11
dal22ses

I just emailed ruger about the manual and a box
Old December 31, 2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Crankgrinder

just like they said its the transfer bar safety mechanism. its just a little paddle looking thing that moves up as the trigger is pulled taking up space between the hammer and firing pin in the process. When the "transfer bar" is struck, it "transfers" the energy from the hammer into the firing pin. The gun cannot fire if the trigger is not pulled to the rear. That rattle is very typical in rugers it is not a sign of bad quality.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:03 PM   #13
dal22ses

awesome . I really apprecite the help. Very happy with my purchase
Old January 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #14
Pahoo

A Box !!!

Quote:
I just emailed ruger about the manual and a box
A big thanks to you as well as I was not aware, that you could order a box ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Obambulate

That sound really bothered me when I got the LCR-22. Now, I don't really hear it.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Kreyzhorse

They are nice little guns. You will be very happy with yours and eventually, you will cease to notice the transfer bar making a sound at all.

Just a hint, but if your trigger still feels a little gritty, dry firing the hell out of the gun will help smooth it out. Of course, just make sure, and make sure again, that the gun is not loaded.