The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 1999, 06:36 PM   #1
BBINJ

"Einstecklauf 24 mit Zeimunition Kaliber 5,6mm". Can anyone steer me in the direction of a good reference book with information on the Ermawerke .22 caliber conversion unit for the KAR 98k? Also, anyone have knowledge of Heeres WaffenAmpt acceptance markings, or a book that covers the subject thoroughly? I picked up one of these units (after searching for a good one for 15+ years). ERMA, Erfurt 1937 marked - it's matching throughout and minty, right as rain in every way. However, here's the rub. It's 'ampted in a bizzilion places with WaA77, except for one small part on the mag housing assembly which is WaA 280. Like I said, it's correct beyond a doubt - never been messed with. The only reference I have that has anything close on this is GERMAN SMALL ARMS by AJR Cormack. "Production continued for some time as one unit is marked Erma Erfurt 1937 WaA 280" Just wondering if anyone could provide some insight as to the 'ampts used at ERMA, when they used which one, when they changed, etc.
Old November 26, 1999, 11:40 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

From Richard Law's Backbone of the Wehrmacht page 344-345:

"The Sub-Calibre (.22LR) Conversion Unit

"The first such system for the K98k rifle, designated the Einstcklauf 24 mit Zielmunition Kaliber 5.6mm lfB - lang fur Buschsen, was designed by Erfurter Maschinenfabrik Berthold Giepel GmbH (ERMA). First issued in the early 1902s, these kits were capable of single-shot fire only.

"The later version shown here (my comment - photo on Page 344 and 345) was fitted with a 10-shot detachable box magazine and was produced by ERMA of Erfurt well into the 1940s. The unit illustrated is dated 1937, and was issued in a fitted wooden case measuring 33 1/4" long, 2 7/8" wide, and almost 2" high (85x7.3x5cm). Opening the hinged lid of the case reveals the .22 calibre barrel liner, the replacement bolt, a replacement floorplate, two .22 calibre 10-shot magazines, and tool for attaching the insert to the K98k.

"Many of these kits were intended to accompany a particular K98k, and were thus numbered to match by having the rirfle's serial number stenciled onto the underside of thelid of the case and stamped into the replacement .22 calibre floorplate."

Collectors' Grade Publication has another book on the sporter Mauser but I can't find it right now.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 27, 1999, 11:45 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Collectors' Grade Publications also published a work by John Speed on the small bore Mauser. Since the work concentrates on dedicated .22 LR made by the firm, it has only passing comments on the conversion unit. However, the work is rich in acceptance marks. Check it out.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 27, 1999, 12:06 PM   #4
BBINJ

Thanks for your information, Gary. I'll try to get a copy of Law's book. The description you provided from same is pretty close to my unit, except: uses 5-shot mags instead of 10, and this piece doesn't appear to have ever been mated with a particular rifle. The outside of the lid is marked with the units SN in pencil at the upper left hand corner, the inside base of the box is also marked w/ SN in pencil, and the floorplate bears the unit's SN as well. I'll have to also check out the CG book, as you say that it's rich with WaA information. It's that one different ampt on the piece that's got me puzzled.