The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 5, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1
at-home-daddy

How do you quote a previous post?

I'm seeing it done all the time...but I can't figure out how to do it. There's no 'Quote' button on each post as there is in some other forums...so how do you do it here?
Old January 5, 2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Twycross

You have to copy and paste what you want to quote. There is a "quote" button in the toolbar, or you can write out the tags yourself:

[quot]the material you want to quote[/quote]

I've deliberately misspelled the first 'quote' there, so it doesn't come out as:

Quote:
the material you want to quote
Old January 5, 2006, 01:18 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twycross
You have to copy and paste what you want to quote. There is a "quote" button in the toolbar, or you can write out the tags yourself:

[quot]the material you want to quote[/quot]

I've deliberately misspelled the first 'quote' there, so it doesn't come out as:

Quote:

"Show honor in the face of death, and death shall show you honor in return." - Dragon Shadowlaw (Glock 31)
The reason the quote button isn't there is to prevent the inevitable abuse that will result - as shown above...
Old January 5, 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Avizpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluesMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twycross

[quot]the material you want to quote[/quot]

Quote:

"Show honor in the face of death, and death shall show you honor in return." - Dragon Shadowlaw (Glock 31)

The reason the quote button isn't there is to prevent the inevitable abuse that will result - as shown above...

Like what? FWIW I agree completely. Having to type it in manually takes some effort and makes you think twice. This results in useful quotes, not just using a quote button instead of a reply button.
Old January 5, 2006, 02:58 PM   #5
at-home-daddy

Okay, let's give that a try:
Quote:
this is a quote attempt
Old January 5, 2006, 03:01 PM   #6
at-home-daddy

Okay, found 'em...let's try again:
Quote:
this is a quote attempt
Edit: sorry for the double-post...didn't think the other one went through. Thanks for the instruction on quotes...don't worry, I'll use 'em sparingly.
Old January 5, 2006, 03:04 PM   #7
Twycross

Nevermind.
Old January 5, 2006, 04:23 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Twycross - just in case you think TheBluesMan was talking about you when he said, "the inevitable abuse that will result - as shown above...", he wasn't, I assure you. He was talking about the abuse he himself demonstrated by quoting your entire post in his post when it was unnecessary to do so.

Your explanation was spot on and appreciated.
Old January 5, 2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Twycross

I know, but thanks anyway.

I mean, I know it wasn't directed at me.
Old January 5, 2006, 05:00 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

Good. I probably read too much into your "nevermind".
Old January 5, 2006, 05:10 PM   #11
Twycross

Story on the 'nevermind' - at-home-daddy's 2nd post asked the location of the bracket keys. I typed the original content of the 'nevermind' post. Before I finish, at-home-daddy finishes his 3rd post, and edits his 2nd post. My post is now useless, and so I edit.
Old January 5, 2006, 05:15 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Ah, ha!
Old January 5, 2006, 05:29 PM   #13
Harley Quinn

Why do we want a bunny for world domination?

Bunnies reproduce to quick and then we would really have an over populated planet (internet). Just curious?

Harley
Old January 5, 2006, 06:01 PM   #14
at-home-daddy

Quote:
Story on the 'nevermind' - at-home-daddy's 2nd post asked the location of the bracket keys. I typed the original content of the 'nevermind' post. Before I finish, at-home-daddy finishes his 3rd post, and edits his 2nd post. My post is now useless, and so I edit.
Just to get a little quoting practice in...ahem.

Sorry 'bout that, Twycross -- as soon as I hit Submit, I -- for the first time ever (though maybe the fact that I actually *looked* this time instead of assuming it was some hidden wingding that I'd never find in my system) -- found the brackets immediately after. I'd hoped to spare my embarrassment over it...but I see I wasn't quick enough.
Old January 6, 2006, 01:16 AM   #15
Twycross

Ahhh, don't give it a second thought.

Quote:
Bunnies reproduce to quick and then we would really have an over populated planet (internet). Just curious?
Well, so far, this bunny has been pretty slow at reproducing. I just thought it was kinda cool. At some point, he will be deleted in favor of some other quip or quote that catches my eye.