The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 08:08 PM   #1
tank1949

Two Charter Arms that need springs

I have two older 38 undercover 5 shot revolvers that my wife and I each carry when we go out. Sorry tree huggers, but I haven't lived 64 year by being stupid, and they are lasered! It is just too dangerous out there.

At the range the other day, I noticed that hers would sometimes not detonate primer in double action mode. Single action delivers enough energy to detonate CCI small pistol primer. I seldom shoot factory ammo. I load my own but until now, have mostly shot semi-auto, which have never failed. I have gone on line looking for enhanced springs, but Wolf doesn't have one listed for Charter Arms undercover models. Anyone know of shop or retailer who sells new or and improved springs? If so, please provide link.

THX!!!!!!
Old January 28, 2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Wheelie_Fan

Charter Arms

For replacement parts, I'd try the factory.... They're pretty good to work with and I think they service the older guns..

Another option would be Valley Firearms (203) 924-5650... A gun shop just down the road from CA. They have a great relationship with the factory and might be of help.

Good luck!
Old January 29, 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
kahrguy

You also could buy from Wolff and have the option of reduced or extra pressure springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=3&mID=72
Old January 29, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Dan-O

If I remember correctly all the Charter revos use the same hammer spring. I would try the XP Hammer spring from Wolff.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=3&mID=72

Or you could call Charter and ask them to send you one. Not sure if they will or not, but it's worth a try. They may want you to send the gun(s) back to them.

It has been my experience that CCI primers have really hard cups.

And by the way, I don't think you need to worry about the "tree huggers". It's the meth and crack heads that I would be worried about.

Last edited by Dan-O; January 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:00 PM   #5
kahrguy

I changed to the RP spring from wolff and it has been great for a few years now. Makes for a better trigger for sure.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Nasty

Lifetime warranty...take advantage of it!
Old January 29, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7
PetahW

AND, if all else fails - change primers.

Old January 29, 2013, 06:19 PM   #8
shootniron

I would try Charter and if that failed I would go Wolf or Wilson.JMO
Old January 31, 2013, 04:09 PM   #9
jrothWA

Sugget sending one at a time ...

to factory for overhaul.

Bought one for daughter and contact the factory to see if they would service it and they indicated they would. They seem to want to stand behind their products no matter which prior entity made them. Call to confirm as my contact was in 2000.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:33 AM   #10
tank1949

Fixed the Charter Arms

Thanks to all who have tried to help!

I gambled and ordered three extra strong Wolf springs that fit Charter Bulldog 44s. They are slightly heavier coils and about 1/2 longer than 38 undercover Charters. The inside diam is same for rod that slide through the spring and connect hammer and frame. You have to trim excessive coils using metal snips or Kline tools. It took a little bit of trial and error, but after triming one coil at a time and finding the optimum numbers of coils to leave, my wife could affectively pull trigger. Hammer now impacts primers wery well. I put same spring in my Charter, as well.

THX!!!!!!!!!