The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Electric Factory

Range Report- Mossberg 930 SPX

Having just picked up a new Mossberg 930 SPX I thought it might be useful to post some impressions, problems and questions. Before shooting I cleaned and oiled the gun, and as others have reported it was indeed very dirty.
Having read that there is break in period I can confirm that as Ithink I may be experiencing break in blues. Ammo used ;
-Federal Power Shok 2 3/4" slugs
-Fiocchi Reduced Recoil 2 3/4" slugs [ 1350 fps ]
-Federal 7 1/2" Game Loads 2 3/4"

I started with [5] Federal Power Shok slugs in order to help the gun settle in a little. I fed one Fed Pwr Slug round at a time directly into the chamber whereupon I switched to the Fiocchi rounds and tried using the magazine tube. I loaded one round in the chamber and one in the mag and this is where I encountered my first problem, as round#2 hung up, not quite feeding from mag tube to chamber. This happened three times in a row with the Fiocchi Reduced Power Slugs- a function of the gun breaking in ?
And this leads to the second issue; the charging handle is a little loose, is it supposed to be ? Has anyone else noticed being able to slightly 'jiggle' the charging handle ? Is this normal, or is there something that needs an adjustment ?

Overall I'm very pleased with the 930 SPX in terms of ergonomics, fit and finish. Let me emphasize- VERY pleased. My shooting impressions are a little premature as I plan on trying other ammo to discover which the SPX likes best. Also I'll be adding a few xtras- Choate pistol grip stock, mag extension, some kind of sling adapter and a Vang safety. I already bought the Choate but still have to find the mag ext and Vang safety.

I'd also like to know if anyone's charging handle also feels slightly loose,maybe that's normal. If not what do I have to do to 'tighten' mine ? Finally, what ammo you guys are successfully feeding your 930 SPX, and about how many rounds was your break in period was until you were getting consistent function, feeding, extraction ?

More to follow.

Last edited by Electric Factory; January 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
cedjunior

Seriously looking at one of those. Where did you pick it up from, internet purchase or local dealer?
Old January 28, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Electric Factory

I blindly stumbled into this in a rack at a local gun shop while stopping by on a whim. I'd previously been sweeping the internet looking for one with absolutely no luck They're sold out or simply not in stock everywhere I looked. Even with the aforementioned 'issues'[ all resolvable ] I'm really happy to have snagged it. The 930 SPX has a great feel and I'm confident breaking the gun in and simply shooting it more will work out the initial kinks.
Old January 28, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
SMiller

Please keep us updated on your shooting and how you are liking the gun. Like you I have called all over looking for one with no luck, but not in a real hurry, so not that big of a deal. Let us know if it keeps feeling lose or sloppy. How is the recoil, I really want a low recoil shotgun. Thanks for the thread!

Last edited by SMiller; January 29, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old January 29, 2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Electric Factory

Range Report continued- Mossberg 930 SPX

Well, I guess the break in period is over. I shot 10 Federal '00' buck rounds today at the range, after that I fed it an equal number of the Fiocchi Reduced Power loads and heck, even a few game loads- all of them cycling slick as you know what through a goose- yea !

The 930 SPX is indeed a good buy and pound for pound A LOT of gun for the money. I'll mount the Choate pistol grip stock tomorrow and continue ammo testing and i'll post a few additional pics.

In the meantime does anyone know where I can order a clamp mount w/ an HK-type 'ring' sling attachment ?
Old January 30, 2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Electric Factory

For me its perfect and I definitely prefer it to the original stock.
As has been noticed there is a very slight 'step' where the receiver meets the stock as it isn't perfectly flush, that said its hardly noticeable and definitely doesn't detract, either in form or function. I like this stock a lot more than I thought I would, tomorrow at the range is the acid test.
I'm adding a sling, extended bolt handle and Vang safety, once I do this baby will be good to go. Oh, did I mention the break in period ending in about 20 or so rounds ? Shot it today, the gun eating everything in sight.

Old February 1, 2009, 03:48 PM   #7
longcall911

Yes, the 930 spx is a lot of gun alright... love mine. Try some Remington 3" Magnum loads if you like some kick :-)

/*tom*/
Old February 1, 2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Homerboy

Mine wasn't dirty at all when I bought it new. Took it to the range twice and randomly loaded birdshot, buckshot, reduced recoil slugs from Winchester, Sellier and Ballot, and Remington. Then I pulled the trigger as fast as I could. Not one malfunction. Shot probably 75 rounds total and all was perfect. I am looking to get a Limbsaver pad for it, though. Semi auto or not, after 5 or six rounds of 12 gauge, I want to call it a day. I slipped on a no-name recoil pad and it tamed it some. My Remington 870 has the Knoxx Spec Ops stock, so I guess I'm spoiled.
Old February 2, 2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Electric Factory

Another installment of my new 930 SPX range report, put another 25 rnds of the Fiocchi Reduced Power HP slugs and [5] five Federal full power HP slugs as a warmup. Then I shot 45 rnds of Federal 7 1/2" game loads, all of them but one[ again in the first mag full, a slight tap on the bottom of the elevator sent the round on its way to the barrel chamber ]- fed, chambered and shot without incident.
I added an Eagle butt stock ammo carrier and sling as, at least to date there is no receiver mounted ammo carrier [ Mesa Tactical ]. I like this unit because it has a comfortable cheek pad, a practical and useful addition.

Old February 16, 2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Electric Factory

This gun has now shot 200 rounds in total, all of these with only rudimetary cleaning of the gun. I've added a few accesories which seem to be working well ; a Surefire E2DL Defender light, Nordic Components barrel mag clamp+rail and a VLTor light mount. The mounts have thus far successfully held the light in place without 'drifting' forward from recoil. I considered buying a Surefire tape switch for the E2DL light but am on the fence, as it's a pretty simple move forward of the left hand to engage the push button of the E2DL.
The light and mount do add a bit of weight forward but it actually serves to steady the gun, at least it does for me. The only other add on may be a red dot sight on the rear rail, perhaps the Aimpoint Micro T-1. I must say however that the Aimpoint might prove to be a superfluous addition as the 930 spx ghost rear and fiber optic front sight tower are an effective and easily picked up combination.
Opinions ?

Last edited by Electric Factory; February 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:46 PM   #11
scott0

very nice!
Old April 11, 2009, 03:41 AM   #12
wrath

How hard was it to install that pistol grip? I love my spx!!!
Old April 12, 2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath
How hard was it to install that pistol grip? I love my spx!!!
Remove two phillps head screws, remove the 3/4" nut and washer, remove "Factory" stock. Install Pistol Grip stock, install washer and nut and tighten, install phillips head screws.... that simple.....

Check your local laws before ordering the Choate Pistol Grip stock, Here in Connecticut, adding a pistol grip stock to a 930SPX makes it an assault weapon!!! Even posession (intent doesn't matter) of the stock is enough in this crazy state!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old April 12, 2009, 10:57 AM   #14
zippy13

Greetings, wrath, and welcome aboard.

Electric Factory
As a point of info, do you know if the trigger group can be removed with the detached pistol grip stock installed?

Pete
Old April 12, 2009, 11:16 AM   #15
38superhero

dangit now i want 1 of these....
Old June 9, 2009, 11:51 PM   #16
FALLING

New Stock

Last edited by FALLING; June 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: question already answered
Old September 8, 2009, 06:11 PM   #17
Hallucinator

I've had mine for about a month. The only problem I had was that the mag tube was screwed on so tight I had to take it back to the shop.

So far I've shot Fed HD slugs, Remington Slugs, @7 shot, Federal 000 buckshot, and Fiocci slugs. I've shot 110 rounds through mine and no problems. The receiver didn't even get dirty during these two outings.

I sighted in at 75 yards the first day and was surprised how accurate it was at that distance. I had to use the screw driver a lot to get the elevation down.

The next session I re-sighted to 30 feet for self defense purposes and shot very tight groups.

I'm thinking about taking a course in defensive shotgun and wondering where I'm going to get a sling to fit it.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:05 PM   #18
Blindjim

for posterities sake...

I bought mine new. I have put very likely 125 – 150 rounds thru it. 2 ¾ for the first 100 +, then I shot some 3 in magnums. Almost all but one box were 00 or 0 buck. 50 were 2.75 in, #7 1/2.

Not one time has it failed to feed or fire. I never mix up the types of shot I send thru it. One sort or another, all 2.75 or all 3in. which # shot they are doesn’t seem to matter, I just never mix up the size of the rounds I am shooting.

It did not care too much for some cheap 7 ½ shot and let off a ton of smoke and flames when fired quickly or one at a time. Since then I stick with better known brands like Federal & Remington or the like. They fire much cleaner.

I’ve not even broken it down to clean it yet but I will prior to another trip to the range.

I’ve added initially some Nordic Arms mag tube extension, extended mag spring, Choate spring follower, and a Nordic Arms barrel & magazine brace. I had to, as the magazine now extends a couple inches beyond the muzzle and I felt it a prudent move. oh, and I bought an el cheapo hard case for transporting to and from the range. All I can say about it is it is long enough and it stays shut when you snap it closed. Egg Crate loose foam cradles it from rubbing aginst the enclosure. it'll do.... barely.

Added too, were a Choate pistol grip compliments of Mossberg due to the seller’s mess up. I liked the OEM straight stock a lot. It just felt more natural to me than holding the gun to my side or hip and firing from that stance holding the stock by it’s pistol grip and forend only. . But after a few boxes of shells, I’m not bad from the hip position. Better from under the arm and best from the standard shoulder held placement of course.

Yes, there is a gap just behind the trigger housing, and the base of the pistol grip is incomplete as it has a unfinished opening at its base… and for no good reason as I can tell. Open or not, it makes absolutely no diff in shooting the weapon or handling it. Its merely something that bugs me some as to why it wasn’t closed up at both places. Behind the trigger housing and underneath it’s pistol grip. For $79.95 retail I’m thinking one should get a better made product. Sending an email to Choate yielded no reasonable answer to the why of it all.

With duct tape over it, you can put either another two shells into it’s grip area from underneath, if you push real hard or just hit them with a hammer to shorten them up some, or you can easily put 3 back up 123a batteries inside of it, but they tend to rattle around when you are moving. I guess, wrapping them in gauze could help and provide yet another helpful aid. Just carry the tape and a needle and thread to sew up the wound in your vest pockets.

I added a rail mounted high intensity LED light with a pressure switch for remote control by my forend hand for ON/OFF or continuous light operation. 3 CR 123a batteries fuel the LED 200 lumen spot/target light. Man! Is it ever bright inside the house! Wow. Keeping it on long enough I think you can cook eggs with it. $56 shipped from Cheaper than Dirt.

Yes, my receiver handle jiggles. Its supposed to. It just snaps into a hole on the bolt so about any other handle is a really esy add on… although I don’t see why anyone would.

It holds now 10 rounds of 2 ¾, or 8 rounds of 3 in, unless I Ghost round then you can add one more to the count.

The only real problem but real easy to fix, coming up on 200 rounds is the rail atop the receiver has loosened its front screws so you can move the 8 or 9 in. long light up and down near the front about 3/8ths of an inch. That too will be addressed before another session at the range. Resetting the screws with some locktight should do it.

Otherwise all I’ll do later on is to remove the front sight as I did the rear and have a steel miniature Gator or something welded on in its place. Maybe a Pelican or a Moccasin. Although now, it seems the State bird has become a Python, so maybe that will do instead.

The 930 SPX is truly a terrible thing to have to face and has been utterly steady. True with it’s point and shoot ability and a pleasure to use unless it has 3 in. magnums in it! Their kick is substantial enough that after shooting fifteen in a row, my shoulder hurt for about a day or so. My friends shot it with them and quit after just firing 3 or 4 rounds saying it was just too much to deal with. I’m the large family sized model and have a bit more natural padding in my shoulder than they did perhaps. I’d not want to empty a magazine full of ‘em rapidly at any length. I have thought seriously about mixing up the loads in it and having my first two be 3 in 0 buck but figure I’ll stick with what is proven itself reliable already and keep to one size only.

I keep it filled and ready with one in the chamber so only the safety has to be clicked forward. As intruders have surprised me by their illegal entry, I’d just as soon return the favor and surprise them right back!
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.
Old March 16, 2012, 11:13 PM   #19
CDR_Glock

Blindjim. From what I have been told, shotguns don't have a safety mechanism to prevent a discharge if dropped or jarred - even if the safety is on. I keep mine Cruiser Safe. Check it out, for yourself. I just don't like reading about people getting hurt.

--

The charging handle actually comes off if you pull it. Try taking it out and reinserting it.

I love my SPX. Fun to shoot. Shotguns are my favorite weapons to shoot.

iPad/Tapatalk
Old March 17, 2012, 11:15 AM   #20
Carne Frio

I'm very happy with my 930SPX. It came with a different
charging handle. You can always swap yours out with one
of these.

http://www.elementarms.com/Nordic-Sh...0-SPX-935.html
Old March 17, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Blindjim

someone please remind me to not try posting after midnight. Wow, that last post of mine looks terrible. Oil well.

as said, all I feel I need is a decent nylon sling that attaches quickly and easily to the OEM 'holes' on the forend, and toe of the rear stock foot.

but yes... other than how loose it gets after firing/use which doesn't appear to hamper it at all, it's a fine enough shotgung.

I trust my life to it daily.
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.
Old March 17, 2012, 09:19 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Maybe you did it and I missed that, but change the follower and follower spring.