The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 14, 2010, 07:47 PM   #51
BigJimP

Its about time I converted some of you guys to 30" and 32" barrels ( or at least a 30" barrel on your semi-autos )...

"shorter is never better ...."
Old March 14, 2010, 08:13 PM   #52
krimmie

You don't have to convince me; I have a 30" on my Beretta 390 Sport...it's my main gun for clays.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:19 PM   #53
Ricklin

It's not the arrow. it's the indian.

Actually not 100% true. One needs the proper tool for the job to do quality work.

If you are going to shoot doubles a pump would be a hardship. It's tough enough with the right equipment.

If you get in to clays much you will find your shotgun to be the cheapest part of the whole deal. Those boxes of shells and round fees add up pretty fast.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:24 PM   #54
REL1203

Gents (and ladies),

Thanks so much for all the info.. I think i have decided against the 870, and am going to go with a Auto that should also suffice if I ever pick pack up Goose hunting again....

Dont know which auto yet, it seems Shotgun prices have ballooned up since i remember last paying attention to prices..
Old March 17, 2010, 02:53 AM   #55
LanceOregon

Quote:
What is wrong with using a pump?
Now my horse is laughing even more.

Old March 20, 2010, 11:14 AM   #56
Ricklin

7 1/2s are the max

A previous poster recommended # 6 shot. Don't use anything bigger than 7 1/2 for trap. Have not started shooting skeet yet but I think it is the same.

Most ranges and clubs are of finite size, the larger pellets carry farther and may not remain on the clubs property. At our club large pellets could hit cars out on the highway, not good.
Besides those darn clays are hard enough to hit using the right ammo and equipment.
Old March 20, 2010, 11:25 AM   #57
hopper810

everything i've read and heard is 7.5 is the largest shot that can be used at the clay shooting games.

i like using #8 for everything i shoot.
Old March 20, 2010, 01:02 PM   #58
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin
If you get in to clays much you will find your shotgun to be the cheapest part of the whole deal. Those boxes of shells and round fees add up pretty fast.
AMEN! +1
You've hit on a point that's often overlooked. And, if you get into competition you've got to throw in the tournament fees as well as the costs for travel and accommodations. Shotguns are cheap compared to the price of the motor-home you take to the away tournaments.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:12 PM   #59
WW2

I'm in a similar situation...

I bought a used 870 for $350 about a year ago. It has the 18.5" barrel, an adjustable (4 position) A4 style pistol grip stock and a 7+1 mag extenstion. I added swivels and a sling for $20.

I took the gun to the local clay range and asked if I could shoot it there. The answer was "No; you need a 22" barrel and cannot have a pistol grip." So, I bought a 28" Vented Rib Remington barrel with a screw in modified choke for $199 from the pro shop. I also bought a stock synthetic 870 stock from ebay for $30. So for about $599 I have a shotgun that can be configured in about 30 different ways. For everything from "You got to be kidding, a pistol grip 12 ga. with a 28" barrel" to a small tatictal SD/HD shotgun, to a long 28" barreled clays gun.

On Thursday I will take my first sporting clays lesson. The instructor said he will teach me on the 870 and also let me try his semi. He is excited since he shoots lefthanded and so do I. I will let you know how it comes out!

I have only recently shot shotguns at a Cowboy Action Shooting event where your choice is pump, lever or SxS. These people are FAST! They pick up an empty shotgun, load two shells, shoot two targets, and then reload and shoot two more targets. One event I saw on TV had the second shotgun target send a flyer when it was hit. In that case, after you hit your second target, you had to RELOAD two shells, acquire the target, break the clay and then swing down to the fourth static target. All on the clock, shortest time wins! If you want to see some seriously fast pump and SxS shooting, watch Cowboy Action Shooting. Lever action shotguns are interesting but simply too slow compared to the pump and SxS.

So, since I want to do both Clays and Cowboy, I figure I will learn to quickly manipulate the pump on the 870. If I decide to get serious in sporting clays I will probably get a purpose built gun.

So lets see... 1897 12 Ga for Cowboy, 1895 Lever Rifle for Cowboy, a pair of single action revolvers for cowboy, the 870 for home defense, and a autoloader 12ga for sporting clays. I probably will need a 12Ga for trap after I get in to the sporting clays, and another one for skeet. Yes, my wife is going to love me buying all of these!
Old March 24, 2010, 07:13 AM   #60
southernmaninla

I've used a benelli nova pump shotgun for years used to use a Beretta Urika 390 had a lot of hang ups and switched back to the nova. I shoot average 92-96 out of 100.
Old March 24, 2010, 10:48 AM   #61
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL1203
…have decided against the 870… Dont know which auto yet
Since you're looking for a inexpensive auto-loader, you might take a look at TriStar's Viper 2. Their wood stock version is $539.00 in 12 and 20-ga (a similar Mossberg's 930 is $584.00). Their 28-ga model is $599!

This is a new gun and I've not seen one, but NSSA's Nick Sisley gave it a favorable review.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:37 PM   #62
WW2

Just got back from my first sporting clays lesson...

As promised, here is my review of my first experience shooting clays under the guidance of a NSCA Certified level 1 Instructor.

I showed up with my Remington 870 Magnum Express with a 28” vented rib barrel and a modified choke. I had my ear plugs and ear muffs and eye protection.

At the pro shop I bought 75 rounds of #8 shot shells with 1 oz. loads In 12 gauge. Then I headed out to the training station on the range taking the LONG way around the range. I didn’t realize how huge that range is. It has 24 sporting clays stations, 12 trap fields, 12 skeet fields and a number of combined trap and skeet fields.

Once on station, I worked with the instructor to determine if I am left eye dominant or right eye dominant. Turns out “it depends” on where I am focusing. For distance I am left eye dominant. For closer in I am right eye dominant. I told him I could shoot right handed or left handed but prefer left handed. The instructor decided to put me through some shooting trials. He said I was a first for him in that I shoot equally well (or poorly ) from either side!

So we did many drills with the 870. I shot about 30 or so shells from the 870. Then the instructor had me use his Berretta autoloader. I then finished off another 45 shells with the Berretta. Here is what I learned about the two shotguns:

• My Remington was a lot heavier than his Berretta even though both guns were about the same size.
• With the autoloader, I was able to focus on the birds more.
• With the pump I tended to focus on the gun rather than the bird resulting in more missed birds
• His Berretta had a nice walnut stock and beautiful engraving that was silvered to stand out from the receiver. My black synthetic stock Remington looked ugly in comparison
• When pointed right, both guns busted the clays equally well. Although the Berretta had an improved cylinder choke to my Remington Modified choke. This meant that I had a better chance of hitting the bird with the Berretta because of the larger pattern.
• The Remington recoil pad is square at the top of the stock while the Berretta had a rounded recoil pad. The square recoil pad kept hanging up on my shirt when moving from low mount to high mount. Guess I need to modify the recoil pad
• I loved the autoloader, but can use the pump as well. Guess I need to buy a sporting clays specific autoloader! (Honey, I need another gun!)

Another thing I learned is that a shooting vest is a really good idea. I was wearing a long sleeved dress shirt with a pocket on the left breast. Shooting left handed, the shotgun kept hanging up in my pocket when going from high mount to low mount. And when going from low mount to high mount the shirt would stick to the recoil pad making it difficult to properly mount the gun.

Also, hearing protection was an issue. I stopped using the ear muffs as they interfered with mounting the gun. The in ear canal plugs worked fine.

I expected some soreness in my shoulders from firing the 12 gauge, but they are fine; sort of. I did not realize that it took so much muscle just to hold the gun out. The shoulder muscles that have been trained for 32 years to put my arms on a keyboard became fatigued after 50 shells due to the weight of the guns. The last 25 shells were a challenge because of the shoulder muscles being tired. Yet, I was still busting clays to the end!

We had three goals for the day
1. Be Safe – we accomplished this goal. At one point a gardener drove his cart in to the field of fire from the tree line to the left of the shooting station. The instructor noticed him just before I did. Needless to say, we stopped immediately and got the gardener’s attention. He then came over and we yielded to field to him for 10 minutes so he could do what he needed to do. This was a welcome relief for my tired shoulders, and the instructor took the opportunity for some non-gun teaching. Once the gardener was finished, we retrieved our guns from the rack and got right back to the lesion.
2. Have Fun! Well, I had a blast! I would like to get my wife out there to join me on the range. I think she would have fun as well. I think she wants to do this as she called me immediately after the lesson to ask how it went. We accomplished this superbly!
3. Bust some clays – I busted my first clay with my first shot. After that I was hooked.

And one final lesson; Berretta autoloader fore ends do not move like Remington 870 pump fore ends! I guess the pump action became automatic very quickly so that I tried to pump the Berretta after the first shot. No, the instructor did not laugh.

The cost for the day was $35 for an hour of instruction and $53 for 100 clay targets and 75 shot shells.

All I can say is, GET OUT THERE AND DO THIS! It is a blast and not that expensive (after you get your gun and gear).

Old March 25, 2010, 09:41 PM   #63
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13
...take a look at TriStar's Viper 2. Their wood stock version is $539.00 in 12 and 20-ga (a similar Mossberg's 930 is $584.00)...
Are the prices in CA really that high???

Buds's Gun Shop has the Viper for $322, delivered http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/45589

The walnut version of the 930 is $464, shipping included, here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/14640

If the prices are that bad in CA, I feel for you....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 25, 2010, 10:11 PM   #64
zippy13

Smitty in CT,
Those are MSRPs, not street prices.
Old March 26, 2010, 05:48 AM   #65
hopper810

WW2, that's a fine review glad you had a fun,positive time learning about this game many of us love so much.

also sounds like like you had a good instructor,sometimes it hit or miss with them.

remember to keep it fun and all the rest will fall into place.
Old March 26, 2010, 06:22 AM   #66
darkgael

SXS

Quote:
I guess nobody uses Double-barrels (SxS) anymore.
I do. But......I just started down this road and do it just for fun - a little trap, a little Sporting clays. I shot my first SC the other day with a semi-auto. That was OK. I shot as well as the three fellows I was with (a pump gun, a 20 ga. semi, a 12 ga, semi). In addition to the semi, I had brought my field gun with me - a 12 ga. LeFever. I switched to that and shot as well or better than with the semi (BUT....as well or better for me is still not on par with a good SC shot.) I am looking forward to using a SXS for trap (last time - the first time - I used an old Ithaca 37). I will have to go with a SXS that is more tightly choked than the LeFever, I think, maybe an old Flues or a Parker.
Pete
Old March 26, 2010, 11:05 AM   #67
BigJimP

Glad to hear you had a good day WW - keep it up.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:30 PM   #68
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, WW2, your posts may help someone else to get out there and shoot. That's a very good thing.

A couple things....

New Remchokes are neither scarce nor costly. Bass Pro carries them for under $20,less on sale. Aftermarket tubes by Briley, Carlson,Colonial, Angle Port, etc, are also out there for the Remington System. I like a Light Mod for SC, but YMMV.

A belt sander will round off that pad, Go slowly and check as you go. Pachmyer makes a prefit Decellerator that will work.

I rarely wear stuff with pockets on the shooting side any more. I also use a belt and pouch more than a vest. Try both and see what works for you.

HTH.....
Old March 27, 2010, 04:04 PM   #69
zippy13

I rarely wear stuff with pockets on the shooting side any more. I also use a belt and pouch more than a vest. Try both and see what works for you.
+1
Except a pocket with a flap works okay. It's been a lot of years since I had to explain a torn pocket to Mrs. Zip.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:03 PM   #70
oneounceload

I wear vest even in August in FL.............now I wear a polyester Columbia fishing shirt under it when it's that hot, but the vest is a must - as are gloves

Doesn't matter what gun I'm using either.........shot today - weather getting warmer...........vest and gloves rule the day

OP - find what works best for you - gun-wise, clothing-wise, and ammo-wise

Once you find that magical combination - run with it...........

(and have fun)
Old March 28, 2010, 07:27 AM   #71
hopper810

i also use a vest year round,i shoot a lot of low gun and with a vest don't worry about snagging the recoil pad.