The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 13, 2006, 01:56 AM   #1
Crosshair

Suppressor performance: 14.5" vs 24" barrel?

I'm getting started with the process of buying a suppressor. (After many false starts.) I am planing on buying a HTG Universal II can since you can use it on both 22LR and .223 guns. Since this saves alot of money vs buying two cans I am willing to accept the its "low end" 29 dB rating with .223, though it does get very good performance with 22LR.(44 dB) Anyway, I have some questions.

1. .223 cans are often tested on 14.5" barrels and that is where the Universal II gets its rating. However, for .223 work, I plan on using it on a .223 H&R Ultra Rifle. It has a 24" barrel and as a result I would assume that it would be much quieter than a 14.5" barrel. Having been near shorter .223 guns I know that the longer barrels are noticibly quieter and have less blast. However, does anyone actualy know how much quieter, in dB, a 24" barrel with a suppressor on the end would be compared to a shorter one? Since the can would have a cooler and lower pressure gas volume from the longer barrel it would probably work better. Am I right in this thinking?

2. Cans today are advertised as being used dry. However, if I wanted maximum suppression, could I add some water into the can to help it work better? (I know I should ask the maker of the suppressor but I would like your oppinions as well.)

Thanks all.
Old October 13, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Zak Smith

The modern centerfire rifle suppressors I have experience with, their makers recommend AGAINST adding water, due to increased pressure.

Last edited by Zak Smith; October 13, 2006 at 01:15 PM.