The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 30, 2013, 11:41 AM   #51
jmr40

Not a huge fan of most of Henry's products. The standard model 22 is a decent gun for the money, but the centerfires are everything a lever action is not supposed to be. The Golden Boy's in any caliber look like a Pimp's gun.

If we were to get wound up over names there are few manufacturers we would buy from. Ruger is one of the few with any roots to their original manufacturer. S&W, Remington, Winchester, and Marlin have all been bought and sold more than once.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:22 PM   #52
Mr. Whimsy

A Henry rifle can't get through 10 consecutive rounds in a CAS match? Really? They're that bad, huh? Just surprised. A rifle so terrible ... that they are practically unobtainable? Seems the buying public disagrees with you.

Also, at some point the "Henry's are made of plastic and pot metal/I've never owned one" guys are getting tiresome. Wouldn't it be funny if they turned out to be industry plants from Henry's competitors?
Old January 30, 2013, 02:38 PM   #53
Hawg

Quote:
A Henry rifle can't get through 10 consecutive rounds in a CAS match? Really?
Probably from trying to run them fast.

Quote:
Also, at some point the "Henry's are made of plastic and pot metal/
Nope. The Big Boys are all brass and steel. The standard .22 used to have plastic sights and barrel bands but the receiver cover is Zamak which has a higher tensile strength than steel. The receiver under it is steel. The Golden Boy has always had metal sights and barrel bands.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:26 PM   #54
USMCGrunt

Isn't Zamak the same thing they make Walther P22s out of?
Old January 30, 2013, 03:44 PM   #55
DPris
Member Emeritus

Zamak is ONLY the receiver COVER, a totally non-stressed part on those guns.
As far as relating to function goes, its strength is not an issue.
Denis
Old January 30, 2013, 03:58 PM   #56
Jerry45

Dishonest in general aggravates the hell out of me. Problem is, in to-days screwed up society it seems it has become totally acceptable and practiced by most. I wonder why a company that has a "good" product should have to or want to be disingenuous in advertising. I guess it's just because they can.

Here's a perfect example. 2nd. day air. I ordered a produce Sunday 2nd. day air. It shipped Monday "morning". I traced it and it is being trucked from stop to stop no "AIR" involved. Either that or they have one slow arss plain. It's out for delivery but not here yet. 2 days are 24 hours. 24 hours ended at 7:AM this morning. Nit picky. Yep! But it proves that exaggeration is perfectly acceptably by today's standers. I didn't pay for 34 hour delivery (that's if it gets here by 5:PM. Last time didn't arive until 9:30 PM) I paid for 24 hour delivery.

Last edited by Jerry45; January 30, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:46 PM   #57
shafter

I don't care if a company has been bought and sold over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Smith and Wesson today the same company as it was a hundred years ago? The owners may have changed but its still S&W. I don't see any dishonesty here. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

In the case of Henry they are a relatively new company that has no ties whatsoever to the original Henry Rifle which is what they're trying to market their rifles as direct decendents of.

I am in no way bashing Henry quality or customer service or their product in general. I've never owned one so I can't speak to that.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:12 PM   #58
tomrkba

Sheesh.

We really are a nation of bungholes if that irritates you. Maybe thereoughttabealaw!

Maybe you should spend that irritation on little things such as the new AWB, Congress spending trillions of dollars beyond its income, and the President ordering the murder of American citizens without jury trial. It's these little things, such as advertising, that caused the Founders to suffer through nearly a decade of war with a world power. Nah...gun ads are far more important.

Last edited by tomrkba; January 30, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:15 PM   #59
Denezin

So i guess we shouldnt buy a coke cause it doesnt have the special ingredient that it originally had...... To be quite frank if it shoots good and is cheap for its cost and has a low failure rate in the statistics then why complain. And as a for the zamak 5 reciever, It says it can take a load over 45k psi and seeing as a .22lr by saami standards are half that..........
Old January 30, 2013, 06:25 PM   #60
Hawg

Quote:
And as a for the zamak 5 reciever, It says it can take a load over 45k psi and seeing as a .22lr by saami standards are half that.....
Its not even the entire receiver, just the cover.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:44 PM   #61
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
I don't care if a company has been bought and sold over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Smith and Wesson today the same company as it was a hundred years ago?
Actually it's not. S&W sold us down the river to to the Klinkton administration AWB bunch. Many of us stopped doing business with them. The new owners denounced to old and promised to be more 2nd. Amendment friendly. We show our support by doing business with them. I wouldn't call that the SAME company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba
Sheesh.

We really are a nation of bungholes if that irritates you. Maybe thereoughttabealaw!

Maybe you should spend that irritation on little things such as the new AWB, Congress spending trillions of dollars beyond its income, and the President ordering the murder of American citizens without jury trial. It's these little things, such as advertising, that caused the Founders to suffer through nearly a decade of war with a world power. Nah...gun ads are far more important.
I just sent an E-mail to my local Whole Foods and a letter the CEO because of a No Firearms sign that has just been posted. I'm in constant contact with my Congressmen/Congresswoman. Some of us can do more than one thing at a time. Maybe others should give it a try.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:28 PM   #62
shafter

Quote:
Sheesh.

I'd call a few cents tax on tea that no one made the Founders buy to be pretty trivial but that's besides the point. I'm not telling anyone to stop doing business with Henry. I merely wanted to know if I was the only one that is irked by Henry's false marketing. All of the items you mentioned above bother me a great deal but I'm capable of being irked by big and small things alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
I don't care if a company has been bought and sold over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Smith and Wesson today the same company as it was a hundred years ago?

Actually it's not. S&W sold us down the river to to the Klinkton administration AWB bunch. Many of us stopped doing business with them. The new owners denounced to old and promised to be more 2nd. Amendment friendly. We show our support by doing business with them. I wouldn't call that the SAME company.
I won't argue on being sold to the Clinton administration but Smith and Wesson as a company is basically the same company it used to be. To market products on their long history really isn't the same as what Henry is doing.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:34 AM   #63
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...Zamak which has a higher tensile strength than steel.
As mentioned, the zamak receiver cover is not a stressed part, so its strength is not an issue.

However, the tensile strength of zamak is not higher than that of steel.

There are a number of zamak alloys, with tensile strengths ranging from 268MPa to 397MPa. Zamak 5 tensile strength is 331MPa.

Low-carbon mild steel alloys (on the very low end of steels in terms of tensile strength) will have tensile strengths in the range of 370MPa to 410MPa.

The steels typically used in firearms have tensile strengths in the range of 590MPa to 830MPa.

In other words, the strongest zamak alloy can match or exceed the strength of the weakest steels but can not begin to approach the tensile strength of a good quality steel. The tensile strength of zamak 5 doesn't even match the weakest steels.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:47 AM   #64
mr.t7024

Henry honesty??

Scorch said it all and then some! I have two Henry's one a 17HMR Goldenboy and one Hoo1, the quality and wood to metal fit is awesome & accuracy is deeeeelightful!

BTW anyone who listens to MR. Imperato's commercials knows it is not the same company from the 1860's.

Do not forget,Winchester is not the Winchester of old! Cliff
Old January 31, 2013, 09:55 AM   #65
Revolver1

Henry rifles, you get what you pay for!
Old January 31, 2013, 07:39 PM   #66
Hawg

Quote:
Henry rifles, you get what you pay for!
I cant speak for the big bores but I wouldn't trade my Golden Boy for a Browning, Winchester or even a Marlin.