The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2015, 03:18 PM   #1
JJ45

Fiocchi Rifle Brass

Anyone have experience with this brass? Any problems?

Specifically 30-30, it's getting hard to find. if you haven't loaded this brass for 30-30 then any experience loading Fiocchi centerfire rifle brass would be helpful....Thanks, JJ

I prefer US brass but tough to find.
Old December 3, 2015, 07:04 PM   #2
iraiam

I have loaded some Fiocchi rifle brass in 223 and 30-06 that I can recall. I don't think there is anything real great about it, but I also don't think there is anything at all wrong with it. I initially thought 7.62X39 also, but I think that was Prvi Partizan brass.

I seem to recall some where the flash hole was off center a little, but I have ran into that on other brands as well on occasion.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; December 3, 2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old December 4, 2015, 12:36 AM   #3
Marco Califo

I have reloaded Fiocci 223. It is good brass. I group it in with my Hornady (also from buying loaded) and other non-LC. I use these mixed "any brass" for less than max loads of 55 gr FMJ.

I keep my LC, and FC, each in a separate group. I prefer LC. FC is OK if you process only FC at one time.

Fiocci has plants in the US and makes the brass (and ammo) here. The Fiocci website says they sometimes move components and ammo from one global region to another as market conditions require.

http://fiocchi.gunsamerica.com/ammunition/
Old December 4, 2015, 01:15 AM   #4
Old Stony

I had some problems with fiocchi pistol brass, but never used the rifle stuff that I can remember. I had a case of 9mm hp ammo that sat around my shop for a couple of years before I opened it up and used any. Maybe half of the brass was split for about the length of the bullet as seated. Maybe bad anealing...who knows. Anyway...I contacted them and it drug on for a while to get taken care of. They finally said they didn't have any hp ammo to replace it with and sent me fmj's as replacements.
Not stellar business I suppose, but I would think twice about their brass if it was me.
Old December 4, 2015, 08:11 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I assume Fiocchi brass is the same as PMA made. But ~~not sure?

As far a 30-30 brass. Pretty common deer hunting cartridge up here. Haven't had a problem finding what I need ~~yet. My preference in 30-30 brass has always been Federal or Frontier. Winchester is OK. Remingtons stay where they lay.
Old December 4, 2015, 12:25 PM   #6
JJ45

Sure shot, as I said, I prefer US but it is somewhat scarce at this time. Hunting Season you know

I have been loading 30-30 for a long time. As a deer cartridge for sure but also as a survival/scout rifle type. I have never had an issue with Rem or Win brass.

I found 80 Federal cases, claimed to be new brass on gun auction for $30 bucks and this includes shipping...I was/am skeptical of the claim that it is new for that price but will check it out when it comes in.
Old December 4, 2015, 12:54 PM   #7
SSA

Amazon and MidwayUSA show Hornady 30-30 brass in stock.
No idea about Fiocchi rifle brass. The only Fiocchi I have used is 357 mag, USA production with Starline brass.
Old December 4, 2015, 01:25 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

For handgun cartridges, I use Fiocchi brass all the time. It's fine.

For rifle cartridges, I rarely encounter it. But, when I do, I usually recycle it. Because...

Quote:
I assume Fiocchi brass is the same as PMA made. But ~~not sure?
I don't know what PMA is, actually. But, Fiocchi brass can be pretty much anything.
When they want to sell ammunition that they aren't set up to produce, or when there's more demand for a product than capacity, Fiocchi contracts with other manufacturers. Almost always, the contract includes Fiocchi's headstamp on the brass.

Companies that have been known to make "Fiocchi" brass:
Fiocchi
PMC
CBC/A USA/ACP (ArmsCor)
PPU
S&B
CCI/Federal
Olin (owner of Winchester Ammunition)
And more...

Within that list are some brands of brass that I don't mind, and some that I even like. But there are a few rotten eggs, as well (PMC, S&B, some Winchester). And since it's all stamped "Fiocchi", there's no way of knowing what's what. To avoid the rotten eggs, I throw them all out.

Fiocchi isn't the only company that does this, either. For example, "Winchester Metrics" cartridges are now loaded with Winchester-stamped S&B brass, but the line has also been loaded by PPU in the past (higher quality, too).
Old December 4, 2015, 01:49 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I knew it was PM something. Thanks> PMC is correct
Old December 4, 2015, 03:46 PM   #10
JJ45

SSA... Midway is selling 50 pieces of Hornady 30-30 brass for $35. 100 30-06 for $95 and that doesn't include the usual $11.00 bucks or whatever shipping costs. Kinda takes the fun out of reloading. Oh for the good old days!

Expensive Brass...Thats why this brass is always available and I've never used Hornady brass but it's probably good stuff.

Other brass will work for my dirty- dirtys, when it's available but it's hard to find right now... I'm not trying to set any bench rest records with this cartridge
Old December 4, 2015, 08:17 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Write a wanted add here on TFLF. Maybe get lucky.
Old December 5, 2015, 05:55 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Write a wanted add here on TFLF. Maybe get lucky.
Quite possible.

I have about 3,000 pieces of .30-30 brass.

...And no longer own a .30-30.
Old December 5, 2015, 11:27 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

There you go JJ45 make the fellow F/M "a offer he can't refuse."
BTW: A 100 pcs will last you a long long time.