The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 21, 2014, 04:35 PM   #26
swathdiver

Where are you on the Spacecoast, Spacecoast?

I'm on the Treasure Coast.

There are two excellent private ranges in your area, one to the north and one to the south and both have black powder shooters.

Sorry I saw this so late, if you just wanted to shoot it once we could meet up and I've got everything needed and then some.

I drive over to Okeechobee City and shoot at the OK Corral Gun Club which is east of town.
Old March 21, 2014, 05:17 PM   #27
gasmandave

You need to learn how to unload a pistol without having to shoot it. There maybe a time you would need to do that. Unless you want to just pull the caps and plug the nipples with tooth picks. Unloading you will need a nipple wrench and a 1/8 brass rod about 4 inches long. Pull the nipples (make sure before you load that they come off) use a pick or a stout sowing needle to get most of the powder out then drove the ball out with the brass rod and mallet. The cylinder set on the side of a small piece of 2x4 should give you the clearance. Make sure you can pull the caps safely. You don't want an A\D.
Old March 21, 2014, 10:46 PM   #28
leo96150

One more thing, use a small piece of wooden dowel to seat the caps on the nipples. Somewhere on the internet there are pictures of a guy's thumb that didn't.
Old March 22, 2014, 07:13 AM   #29
spacecoast

Thanks for the additional tips guys, seating the caps without incident does have me a bit nervous so I appreciate the point about the dowel.

swathdiver, this morning I will be shooting at Fellsmere, which is south of me.
Old March 22, 2014, 07:50 AM   #30
gasmandave

I use a "popsicle stick" style craft stick. The ones I have are pretty stout and my grandkids don't miss the dozen or so that I swiped. They come in a box of a bunch, how many I don't know. If you know of someone at the local grade school they may pick you up a couple. They probably throw away allot of ones that you could use.
Old March 22, 2014, 07:53 AM   #31
44 Dave

I have only ever had to unload an unfired chamber on 2 or 3 occasions, but it is good to have the required tools. I carry a dowel that just fits when the nipple is taken out, it doesn't take much force to knock the ball out and wood is easy on the threads.
Having concealed carry makes it easier, loaded revolver under my coat. I have a shoulder holster for the 8" barrel .44 and most often carry under my winter coat.
Old March 22, 2014, 08:41 AM   #32
Hawg

Quote:
One more thing, use a small piece of wooden dowel to seat the caps on the nipples. Somewhere on the internet there are pictures of a guy's thumb that didn't.
There's more to that story than he's telling. Looks more like he stuck his thumb in front of the cylinder when he pulled the trigger.
Old March 23, 2014, 06:21 PM   #33
olyinaz

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...ic,1620.0.html
Old March 23, 2014, 07:32 PM   #34
Hawg

I've seen the pic and the story before and it never has added up. For one thing most people press caps on with the end of their thumb or the inside corner. Not the outside edge. And an exploding cap did that much damage? REALLY? Has anyone ever heard of another instance of this happening? Nope, I think not. Methinks he made a dumb mistake and is covering it up.