The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 18, 2014, 03:29 PM   #1
ZVP

Pawn Shop Shopping?

I have been shopping for a used .36 Cal Colt style BPRevolver and noy is is a chore! I habe seen over a dozen that "may: be worth considering but it's really hard to spot trouble areas even moreso than Cartrige guns!
Overlooked are the Brassers of course, and the CVA Kits!
It's hard to discover repeated dry firing other tjan to look for flat nipples.
I look at barrel wedge fit and cylinder creep.
I try lock=up and wiggle as the hammer is let down slow.
Can you help with any other trouble areas to look for?
Thanks,
ZVP
Old March 18, 2014, 07:15 PM   #2
chaz12

My initial response is that it's not worth it to look for used percussion revolvers. Most folks ask a price that is maybe 10 percent less than a brand new revolver from Cabelas.

Brand new steel frame 1851 navy Pietta from Cabelas = 249 dollars. If you wait for a sale, you can often get these for 219.

Lowest price for a steel frame 1851 navy Pietta right now on gunbroker = 190 dollars. ( Current asking price, not the sale price)

Lowest price for a steel frame remington right now on gunbroker, caliber not mentioned = 150 dollars.

The gunbroker auctions will most likely close higher than the current price.

The remington might be worth it if you got it at 150, but remington 44's are on sale right now at Cabelas for 199.

I gave up looking for deals on used percussion revolvers a long time ago. You might find one, but it will be very very seldom.

Chaz
Old March 18, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Kappe

I agree with chaz12, it's not really worth bothering looking for used cap & ball revolvers. They're not very expensive to begin with.

I bought a new Uberti Navy for $259 about a year ago. In the same store there was a beautiful new stainless Uberti Remington New Model, which is basically the top of the line, in the case for around $320 IIRC.
Old March 19, 2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Z et al.,

Here is a thought.

A pawnbroker will only have about forty or fifty dollars in a cap and ball revolver.

Offer what you think it is worth and see if he comes down.

If it cycles, nipples and cosmetics look good and you could buy it for 150.00 or less, I would say, go for it.

The market is kind of funny. There are just too many folks out there who will pay more than a pistol than it is worth. This holds the prices of used revolvers high. But if the harpy has had the thing in his case for a while he may be inclined to move on it.
Old March 20, 2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Gaucho Gringo

I bought a Rodgers & Spencer used for $250.00 about 3 months ago. The lowest I have seen them is around $350.00 and as high as $450.00. My ASM Walker cost me $150.00, both steel framed 1851's $125.00 each, 1858 .36 Remington with a conversion cylinder $300.00, 1858 .45 Remington $125.00. All these guns I bought used, you just have to have a little patience to find a good deal. Now that l publicly broadcast what I have paid for them it would be useless to try and sell them on this forum because you know what I paid for them.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old March 20, 2014, 08:57 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

I too have gotten great deals on used B/p revolvers, even from Gunbroker. Look under b/p pistols, the ones I got were listed by people selling for late relatives and little knowledge of what they had, example a ROA listed as an unknown b/p pistol, stainless and practically unfired, blurry pic, but I could make out the thunderbird on the grip and bid $175 within the 15 min closing and got it, also got an unfired ASM Walker for the same price, also listed as a b/p pistol Colt style. Didn't even want the Walker, but couldn't resist the price, now it's one of my favorites.
Old March 21, 2014, 03:09 PM   #7
spitpatch

I recently picked up a decent Remington buffalo 12" with holster for 75.oo. Had a couple days of bad weather so I turned it into a Remington bulldog. After I sell the holster I should have around 50.oo in the bulldog. But I also use Cabelas as my value info.
Old March 22, 2014, 03:19 PM   #8
ZVP

VERY good points!
I know what you guys mean about "abused" revolvers, many are consistantlly dry fired, I have seen people clicking them at the Club!
The tolerance between the Nipple and the Hammer is small and can't take repeated dry firing without closing up!
Yea a new revolver probably would be best but I will continue just looking and maybe give a wild bid and see what happens???
Besides a new gun at least has a warranty for a short while...
Thanks a lot!
ZVP
Old March 23, 2014, 05:56 PM   #9
olyinaz

It just depends on your shop and your area. Most of my local shops ask ridiculous prices for them, but one shop (the one that moves the most guns) gives very little for them and marks them to move. I picked up a steel Pietta Remington for $99 last year, a steel Pietta Remington with adjustable sights (the target model) for $149, and a new/unfired Pietta Remington brasser recently for $79.

All were in good shape, but even with flattened nipples it's easy fix to get them back into shape (and it's always fun to work on them). Just look out for timing issues and ruined bolt catch notches as a result. You can fix a lot, but if the bolt notches are all wallered out it's a pretty tall order.

Oly