The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Lead bullet diameter

I have been successfully reloading 9mm lead bullets that have a diameter of .356. They work well in my gun(s). The other day I had a chance to buy some 9mm's at a gun show that were .355 diameter. I have always heard that using undersized lead bullets can cause lead fouling and that, with lead, you should use .001mm larger than your barrel. Should I avoid .355 bullets since .356 seem to work. What is the likely effect of using .355 over .356
Old August 17, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Sevens

There are plenty of theories and many folks with experience that could offer their findings... but about the only thing that -REALLY- matters is what will happen when YOU try them.

Could be that those .356" you've been using work well for you for a reason OTHER than their diameter and the .355" that you try next work even better.

Could be that a different brand, lot, style, or alloy of .356" bullets work like HELL when you try those.

My recommendation is two-fold.
1) Buy some of those .355" slugs and give 'em a twirl.
2) Either the new ones, or the ones you used before-- if you find a bullet and a load that runs to your satisfaction with regards to accuracy, leading, function, performance and price -- buy them by the metric ton.

I use these in 9mm:
http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5...ategory_Code=9

They run very well for me in .356" size. I run them in 5 different 9mm handguns and I see some small traces of lead after 250 or so rounds in some of the pistols and less in others, but not enough to bother me in any of them. They feed 100% of the time, their accuracy is terrific and I have complete confidence in these bullets and the skill that Matt puts in to producing them.

When I purchase, I buy no less than 3,000 at a time.
Old August 17, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Without knowing the specifics of your firearm(s), there's no way of knowing whether the .355s will cause a problem. Even then, the load itself can sometimes make up for poor diameter selection.

Shoot them. See what happens.

Like Sevens, I suggest buying large quantities of whatever bullet you do find to work well. My last order of 9mm projectiles was what I consider to be an absolute minimum: 4,000 bullets. (2,000 piece price breaks on shipping for 9mm bullets, so I order in multiples of 2k.)
Old August 17, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4
chris in va

Try a few and find out. My CZ was keyholing badly with 356's and finally saw accuracy a 358.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:37 PM   #5
dunerjeff

The only 9mm barrel I've found that worked good with .356 bullets was a Storm Lake match type(it even could work with .357).All others need .357 or .358 for best accuracy,no leading,good/proper fit. I would presume those .355 bullets are made for a .380 round.
I cast my own so I can try more options with sizes and weights.