The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 6, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Big Tom

A sad way to make my first kill :(

Ok I like just got home from work today. I was riding my bike home because of the extremely hot weather here in Bear, DE today (102 F). So I am riding as fast as I can listening to Rammstein on my Ipod. I am going a good 20-25 mph. When all of the sudden I notice something moving. A groundhog freezes in motion as I yell "OH S**T!" Before I could stop the bike I had ran it over, hearing a crack as I swerve off into the road and barley miss getting hit by an on coming car. I freeze for a second and then pull off my headphones. The skin on my back had goose bumps and I was sweating real bad. I then took a deep breath and turned around. I saw this ground hog kicking its legs but unable to get up. I approach it an see that its been pretty much crushed....I knew wut had to be done. I raced back to my house, loaded my pellet rifle and raced back to the seen. Poor thing was still breathing. I just said "Im sorry little guy, I didnt want for this to happen. I took aim and fired two shots to the head. Then everything stopped. I have never hunted be4 thou I do plan on going for whitetail for the first time come time for it. But still I felt bad. I wasnt out to hurt the poor fella and he was probably just looking for food or water when all of the sudden 300lbs of me comes riding right over him. The worst part was the poor thing had to suffer....my biggest regret...
Old July 6, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2
fisherman66

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old July 6, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Dave R

That is a sad way. Condolences. But you should take comfort in the fact that you did the right thing, to put the animal out of its misery.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:27 AM   #4
longranger

You are human with a soul.It disturbs most people/hunters to have to deal with the accidental death of wildlife. Their is a connection between animals and humans mostly on the humans part because we experience empathy for all living things animals do not.The groundhog population allows fo a certain amount of animals to be removed by accidental death.Your actions were humane and appropriate in my view.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
davlandrum

Glad you didn't end up as a hood ornament!

You did the right thing, and no one ever said the right thing is always the easy thing.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 6, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Big Tom

thanks guys, I feel a little bit better now.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Pahoo

Big Tom
Let me enforce the thought that you did the right thing and didn't make the same mistake I once did.

A few years back while coming home from work, I passed an animal on the median of a highway. I realized that it was a large Badger and he was hurt. Went back, picked him up and took him home whre I put him in one of my empty rabbit hutches. Spent the next hour trying to find a Vet. that would look at him, to no avail. Contacted two conservation officers and they told me that I should not have picked him up. Thought that the Badger might recover so watched him for another four hours and he got worse. Finally put him down and to this day, regret that I did not do it sooner.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 6, 2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The only good woodchuck is a dead woodchuck.

Suffering, bad.... dead, good.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old July 6, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Legionnaire

For future reference, easier to simply stand on a wounded critter; it will suffocate quickly. Works for wounded-but-not-dead-yet small game animals like groundhogs and squirrels. No need to take the time to retrieve an air gun (or .22, or shotgun, etc.).

Good on ya for wanting to put it out of its misery quickly. Glad you didn't go over the handlebars! I took my first whitetail with a Yamaha 750 ... and have been working on getting even ever since!
Old July 6, 2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
The only good woodchuck is a dead woodchuck.

Suffering, bad.... dead, good.
Sounds like a man with some land. Bad enough the piles of dirt in my yard and field, you should see Fermilab. Wild flowers, white deer, squirrel, rabbit and groundhogs, (woodchucks), galore, enough to repopulate half the midwest if there was a woodchuck calamity and they were the only source of specimens.

I'm with the kid though, better to not let an animal suffer no matter how much I don't mind it's dying. Shows character.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 6, 2010, 01:06 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump
I'm with the kid though, better to not let an animal suffer no matter how much I don't mind it's dying. Shows character.
I don't have any land, but I am friends with a lot of farmers.

I agree. Suffering is bad, but people go a little hog-wild with the "humane" killing business.

I've had people claim that I'm being "cruel" by using a gun that blows these critters into chunks. Seriously? Insta-kill is "cruel"? People are weird. I've had people (right here on this forum) say that it's cruel to kill one with a car. A car kills them just as dead, just as fast, as a gun. Dead is dead. The method is irrelevant if the lack of suffering is the same.

Anyway, yes, you should feel bad about an animal suffering but you should not feel bad about killing a woodchuck, no matter how it got dead.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 6, 2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old July 6, 2010, 01:15 PM   #12
dabigguns357

I have 3 acres but have 2 gardens that have to be watched constantly because of these critters,they love to eat everything in site and stink to high heaven.My son and i use them for target practice.As long as they stay on their side of the creek i don't bother them to much,but when they cross to my side and head for my gardens i have to do what i have to do.

Btw aren't they also called whistle pigs.

Last edited by dabigguns357; July 6, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Big Tom

well since I live in a highly populated suburban area I felt it best to use the air gun. Point blank, 2 pellets, not gonna live from that one. Plus its quiet and it give me the time to leave without anyone hearing or noticing a thing...
Old July 6, 2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Have you ever seen a woodchuck hit by a car? It kills them quickly.... and no, I don't go out of my way to hit them with a car. As a matter of fact, I have personally never hit one with a car, intentionally or otherwise.

BUT, I would not go out of my way to miss one either, and I have been in a car that hit two in the same day, completely by accident.

Guess what though!? Every single one that I've ever seen that has been hit by ANYTHING bigger than a bicycle.... was dead. "Instantly."
Old July 6, 2010, 01:49 PM   #15
RGR3/75

i didn't know we were so touchy feely about groundhogs

ranchers in colorado will give you $5 a pop for ground hogs. i guess if they're destroying your land you'd have a different opinion about them...
Old July 6, 2010, 02:06 PM   #16
fisherman66

When ya come across a skunk in the road you aim fer it's head. Bad juju happens when you miss.

Who will love a little (INSERT FEATHERED OR FURRED CREATURE)?
Will no one write her eulogy?
"I will," said the Earth,
"For all I've created returns unto me,
From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be."
Old July 6, 2010, 04:48 PM   #17
markj

My dog kills them fast, I hit them on my motorcycle, do I stop? Why I am not gonna eat the durn thing.

Had a bird fly into the bike this morning, spit it out dead. Happens. Dont give it another thought
Old July 6, 2010, 05:13 PM   #18
Chris_B

I accidentally ran over a sparrow once. Little f'er had just landed and I guess the part of a bird's brain that handles "landinglandinglandinglandinglandinglanding" couldn't shift gears into "ohcraptakeoffohcraptakeoffohcraptakeoff" fast enough. It actually popped like a balloon, and I felt terrible
Old July 6, 2010, 05:26 PM   #19
stargazer65

Quote:
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
I've never met him, but I can just picture Big Tom dancing off into the sunset with his woodchuck pal.
Old July 6, 2010, 05:51 PM   #20
S&W Kinda Guy

Quote:
markj PETA???? didnt know they posted here.
You didnt? ALOT of People who Eat Tasty Animals post here.

To Big Tom, it happened its done. Nothing you can do about it. Now he's doing what ever Groundhogs do, and eating what ever Groundhogs eat in a better place. At least you had the integrity to go back and finished what you started.
Old July 6, 2010, 05:56 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Some folks work too hard at either misunderstanding or attributing non-existent motives.

And this thread is not about hunting, from the git-go...
Closed Thread