The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 26, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Stuohn

Illinois shooters

I just moved to the Peoria area and I am looking for somewhere to shoot. I have tryed asking some locals at gun shops but, most shoot on " a friends farm" or advise a place over somewhere that they have heard of but never actually been.

Has anyone heard of a place called midwest gun collectors association?
Old March 27, 2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you don't mind the drive, come on up to the Quad Cities. We have an indoor pistol range and a really clean outdoor range literally down the road from my house. You're always invited...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 27, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Stuohn

Thank you for the response tuttle. Few questions How far away from galesburg are you/range located? Can I shoot a 12ga? How much to shoot? What are the hours of operation? I know alot of questions but I am already about an hour southeast of galesburg (I think) so to drive that far I am going to have to make a day out of it.
Old March 27, 2009, 12:54 PM   #4
dreamer56

Welcome to Illinois -

stop by John's store -
Midwestern Firearms Co
829 E Camp St # 3
East Peoria

He has information on the range you mentioned - it is North of Peoria up towards Lacon - takes a recommendation to join and those guys at the shop can give you some guidance -

Here is a link for that range with some pics

http://www.peoriagunshow.com/

All the best.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:55 PM   #5
chibiker

Quote:
am already about an hour southeast of galesburg (I think)
Um, not trying to sound like an ass, but try to narrow down where you live for us. An hour southeast of Peoria would put you much closer to say Springfield, maybe Decatur, half way between Bloomington and Champaign. Then you were talking about Galesburg. I grew up close to there and that is northwest of Peoria... oh, not quite and hour.

Oh and yes, I have heard of Midwest Guns... at least if memory serves. This is the range you are talking about that is across the lake from Chillicothe? Been several, actually many years back that I used their range to sight in a slug gun... if this is the place I am thinking of it seemed pretty nice, well then anyway.
Old March 27, 2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Stuohn

Sorry if I was being confusing still learning where things are. I live in Peoria about two blocks away from peoria heights. The only reason I mentioned Galesburg was that tuttle mentioned quad cities and I think that is closer to galesburg (wife works). So by my reasoning was about an hour from peoria to galesburg (drop off wife) then go to quad cities. Hope this clears things up.

Quote:
I grew up close to there and that is northwest of Peoria... oh, not quite and hour.
I did type that I was an hour southeast of Galesburg. That would put me in Peoria right?

Quote:
Um, not trying to sound like an ass
Your from Northern Illinois no explanations needed.

Last edited by Stuohn; March 27, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Peoria is about 1hr 45min from my house. It's a bit of a drive, but easy to get here. If you head up 150 from Galesburg, it's a longer yet more scenic route. Otherwise I-74 will take you to I-80, which will take you right into the QC area.

The indoor pistol range will be a bit closer since it's in town. They're open 10-6 M-F and 10-4 on Sat. I'll be more than happy to cough up the range fee for you and your wife if you're willing to drive up here. If you like Mexican food, I can recommend a restaurant close by (or any place).

I live about 15min. west of QC. The outdoor gun range if literally a mile down the road. Any pistol or rifle is allowed. We have a two story trap house, but it's only open cetain hours. They don't allow shotgun otherwise unless it's a slug load. Other than that, they're lenient on what you shoot as long as it's legal. It's a very clean and roomy range. There's rarely more than a couple of other members out there at one time. Hours are from sunrise to sunset 7 days wk/365 yr.

I know you'll be making a day of it, but it will be worth it.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 27, 2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Stuohn

Thank you for all the information I might check it out sometime but, to be honest if I was to drive that far I would want to check out Law outdoor range in Chandlerville. If for no other reason than to rent one or ten of their fully autos.

Does anyone have any experiences/dealings with this range?
Old March 27, 2009, 08:38 PM   #9
chibiker

Stuohn, my apologies, I read it wrong... the southeast of Galesburg thing I mean. I went back and read it three more times and I was still seeing it as Peoria. I just finished an extremely intense, as in MAJOR input overload, week of classes and I think my brain might actually be bruised.

I may live in Northern Illinois but by no means claim it as home. I grew up in Southeast Iowa and ran all over the Burlington area and had friends in Macomb and Galesburg. As you said, most of our shootin' was on friends and families land. I would definitely take up Tuttles's offer to check out the range in the QC area... it's a piece of cake as far as a drive goes. I spend more time than that commuting in the city every day and that is to go 12 miles...lol

Chilicothe has a range you might like to check out and there is Darnell's right near Bloomington that you might want to look at as well.

Here's a list for you to browse. http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=IL

Once you get to know a few people around the area I am sure you'll be able to find some places that you like as well as get offered to shoot as some the locals favorite spots. Downstate Illinois is waaaaaaaaay more gun friendly than upstate.. trust me.