The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 30, 2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Talybama

More Holster Questions

I am looking for concealed carry holsters for my Ruger LC9 and my S&W m&p 9c. I understand that a lot of the decision is personal preference, but after looking online I am completly overwhelmed. Lol I am planning on using a bra holster for the LC9. But I am torn on what to use with the m&p. Unfortunately I live in the sticks and don't have much of an opportunity to go try any on to see what "feels" right... not to mention the seemingly endless options.

I am 5'9" and weigh about 170 (eek).. ooh and I'm a girl! Lol. I mainly wear t-shirts and jeans. I work at a sheriff's office so I will have to remove my weapon before I can go into work. So being easily removable is a plus... any tips or suggestions on what to look for are greatly appreciated. I am new to the concealed carry world, and am just looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Talybama; May 30, 2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old May 30, 2013, 02:22 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

lifestyle ?s holsters.....

Im a bit confused about what type of holsters you want or how you plan to wear them.

There are many choices & styles. In general Id buy a simple strong side owb holster for the M&P Compact. Kydex polymer or synthetic are good. The Blackhawk SERPA the Safariland SFS or ALS, the Highnoon Holsters Skin Tite line, the Wright Leather Works Predator.
The Wright Leather Works leather Predator holster is a great choice for the M&P. It has a side body shield and a metal band to reholster.
You may want to look at at a DeSantis Nemnesis pocket holster or the Super Fly for the compact LC9. Clothing from www.gunvideo.com or 5.11 Tactical can aid deep concealment.
Carry only factory rounds for defense. No reloads or handloads.
For 9x19mm Id get DPX Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P Golden Saber 124gr +P JHP bonded, PowRball, MagSafe SWAT, Hornady Critical Duty +P 135gr.

www.Safariland.com www.wrightleatherworks.com www.blackhawk.com
Old May 30, 2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Talybama

I've been looking at iwb, owb, and purses mainly. I've seen some that look promising from flashbang, but I've never tried them on. I'm mainly worried about printing, and comfort. I've gained a few pounds lately and I'm afraid that any iwb ones might not fit with my jeans, or make drawing too difficult. And I'm afraid that the owb might not fully conceal, or print too much. I'm open to any suggestions on what to look for, or things I haven't thought about when looking for a holster.

I never use reloads, although I do save my brass for friends of mine that do reload. I've been pretty lucky to find bulk factory ammo at reasonable prices. It helps most of my family are into shooting too,s they can usually find us all good deals.

Edit: I plan to wear it as much as possible, but since I work at a sheriff's office I cannot take my weapon inside. So I need it to come off fairly easily. I've had some threats made at work on my life, and even though they are probably empty threats I can't afford to take them lightly, so I will be wearing the gun as much as humanly and legally possible. But since I have a child, we often go to sporting events for him, tball games and such. So I NEED the printing to be minimal. Don't wanna scare the mom's ya know. Lol

Last edited by Talybama; May 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: more info...
Old May 31, 2013, 12:07 AM   #4
JimmyR

For the M&P, I would suggest a leather/kydex hybrid style IWB holster. They carry the weight of a gun well, and minimize printing. I personally reccomend an Old Faithful Holster (get the stage 3 kit for $35, takes 10 minutes to assemble), with a forward cant, making the gun easier to draw while keeping close to the body. It uses steel clips that go over your belt, making removal fairly easy.

If the waistline is a problem for you (like it is for me, I confess), you may need to go up a size in pants, or try to lose weight (I opted for bigger pants).
Old May 31, 2013, 12:26 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

serpa M&P compact paddle....

From your posts Id start with a Blackhawk M&P Compact SERPA with a paddle attachment.
Blackhawk sells them with both belt & paddle systems.
Its fast secure & easy on your wallet.
The Wright Leather Predator is still a great concealed choice if you are off duty.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Talybama

Thanks for the info!! I will definitely look into these.. there are just so many options out there, when you are honestly kind of clueless on what you want, to what you need, it can get very overwhelming. I appreciate all the advice!
Old May 31, 2013, 01:01 PM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Another good option is the G-Code INCOG.
http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INC/INCOG.html
Feedback from female shooters has been outstanding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_mMZBI4KA
Old May 31, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

carrying on your person.....

Id add that you should always carry a weapon on your person too.
No bags purses cases binders etc. You can tote a back-up or 2nd gun that way but you should always have your main gun on you. Bags or purses can be knocked away or stolen.

You should also tote at least 1 spare pistol magazine when you carry. The chance that you may need more rounds are rare but they can be needed if you are in a lethal force event.
Old May 31, 2013, 02:21 PM   #9
BarryLee

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the site called Cornered Cat or not, but it focuses on self defense and concealed carry from a woman's perspective. I believe the site owner is a Moderator here on TFL or at least a member.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 1, 2013, 05:05 AM   #10
Talybama

Thanks Barry!! That site is awesome!!

Edit: I agree Clyde. Most of the officers I work with suggest a woman carry AT LEAST 2 guns. Just because you never know what can happen. I am planning on carrying 2 on my person and possibly 1 in my vehicle... but what girl doesn't like having a good excuse to buy a new purse!

Last edited by Talybama; June 1, 2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: more info...
Old June 1, 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

2 guns; travel....

To have two firearms is a smart move.
Many armed professionals & savvy gun owners carry a main sidearm then use a compact/sub-compact pistol that takes the same pistol magazines in a emergency. Like using a Glock 17 9x19mm with a Glock 26 9mm as a back-up or carrying a SIG P229R DAK with a P224 SAS as a 2nd gun or a PX4 with PX4 Sub-Compact as a back-up.
The controls, trigger pulls & features would be the same on both pistols too.
A argument could be made for a BUG to be DA/SA so you can fire it single-action(cock it) if you are wounded, must fire one-handed or fire with your weak(off) hand. This is a topic for another time, .
I'd add that you should also be well versed in the local/state gun & use of force laws; www.gunlawguide.com www.deltapress.com www.nra.org www.knifelawsonline.com www.handgunlaw.us www.mylegalheat.com .
To speak to your agency's legal affairs office or a few sworn LE officers about who a good local atty is available is smart too. Author & tactics trainer Massad Ayoob advises armed citizens to keep their lawyers business card with their carry license or DL if needed in a lethal force incident.

CF
Old June 1, 2013, 06:36 PM   #12
K1500

IWB with a Comp-Tac Infidel is about the easiest to conceal and is really fast to put on and take off.
Old June 2, 2013, 12:37 PM   #13
arizona98tj

Except the OP said she didn't think IWB would work for her (post #3).
Old June 2, 2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talybama
Thanks Barry!! That site is awesome!!
The author of that site is also a moderator here. She goes by "pax."
Old June 2, 2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Nathan

One potential issue with the Serpa design...

Frankly, I would say a pancake holster is the best place to start when thinking about holster. A pancake design which snaps over the belt might be a good place for you to start.

milt sparks axiom

TT Gunleather
Old June 2, 2013, 07:01 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

M&P 9mm full size SERPA holster....

I obtained a new M&P full size pistol in 2011. I got a left hand Blackhawk SERPA & had no complaints or problems.
Old June 5, 2013, 05:54 AM   #17
Talybama

I found a great holster for my secondary weapon (lc9). It's the Flashbang from Looper and I love it. I'm still kicking around what to get for my m&p 9c, but since I don't have my ccw permit yet Ive got some time to do some shopping around. I'm hoping it will be here in a few weeks. I know I cannot legally carry anything till I get it, but I have still been practicing at the range for when I do get get my card. Since I live in a rural area I am seriously looking into a purse. Not a lot of purse snatchers around here, and it would be practical for going to my sons sporting events. I'm still looking into all my options to find what's going to work best for me, and is always good (imo) to have options for carrying. I just have to make sure I practice with them all. Lol

Thanks For everyone's suggestions!! Keep em coming... the hunt is still on!

Tags
concealed carry , holsters