The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Ruthless4christ

00 vs. 000 buck

Ok people why is 00 always the one people buy for hd. Whats the deal with 000 buckshot for defensive/offensive purposes?

Which is better and why?
Old April 18, 2009, 09:54 PM   #2
OLNfan

000 ("triple-ought") .36" (9.1 mm) 6 pellets
00 ("double-ought") .33" (8.4 mm) 8 pellets

000 could be over kill, bigger caliber, less lead pellets, some find it harder to get a nice follow up shot..I personally use 000 I dont have issues with recoil or a follow up shot with it. but shoot either or and find which one works for you. BOTH will do the job easily. I just recently switched my hd gun from a mossberg 500 with the tube full of 000 buckshot too a 9mm glock just for fun, ill switch back eventually hah. Its just the handgun sits alot nicer and accesible by my bed then the shotgun did.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by OLNfan; April 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
MrSardonicus

I use 000.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
MrNiceGuy

I use 00bk... because it was what was on sale
Old April 18, 2009, 11:38 PM   #5
trigger treat

oo

i use 00bk, remington makes "low recoil police 00buck" they have it at my local gun range and it's only 2 dollars more than comparable 25shell boxes of 00 or 000. i trust the judgement of those who need to depend on their ammo on a day to day basis, law enforcement and the military tend to prefer 00bk.
Old April 18, 2009, 11:45 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Chep ol' 00 Super X 15 count bonus box... Still cuts a right fine ragged hole...
Brent
Old April 19, 2009, 12:25 AM   #7
OLNfan

jeez you guys sound lucky. In my stores all buck shot= same price. and they come in boxes of 5. never seen a box of buck shot in any box but 5, how much is buck shot there? Here is 6bucks and some odd cents for a box of 5.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old April 19, 2009, 12:27 AM   #8
MrNiceGuy

hold off on coming here for a little while.

With the current climate, I'm in the process of trying to find an island like that one in the tv show lost....
Old April 19, 2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Ruthless4christ

Im actually in the states right now mr nice guy. And hot weather ain all its cranked up to be. 100% humidity make the guns rust a bit too!
Old April 19, 2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Scattergun Bob

Either size works just fine in my opinion, however 00 is much more fashionable and easier to get your hands on. As a side note, Federal 2 3/4 000 double copper plated is my best load, glad I had several cases on hand before Federal stopped making it.

Good Luck & Be safe
Old April 19, 2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Lee Lapin

The pattern board is your friend. Pattern both shot sizes and use whichever patterns best out of your gun at the range you're likely to need it. I use 25 yard patterns to decide, it's a bit of an arbitrary range, admittedly, but buckshot often runs out of penetration before it runs out of pattern and I'd rather not push things too far. We live in a very rural area, BTW. Beyond 25 yards or so we go to slugs or pick up an AR carbine.

So far 00 has patterned best with the guns we count on for HD here. Your experience might vary, but you won't know till you try it and see. The computer can't tell you that, only time on the range.

lpl