The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 8, 2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Glennster

WIPE OUT cleaner - opinions?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.......but, I just started using ''NO-LEAD'' and '' WIPE OUT '' cleaners. While I am pretty impressed with the NO LEAD, I'm thrilled and amazed with the WIPE OUT.
I'm curious to hear what others think about this stuff, it seems too good to be true. I've never cleaned a rifle as easy or as good as I have with this stuff. Is there a down side to this stuff???

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

If this post is relocated, please let me know where it goes.
Thanks!
Old March 8, 2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Six Shooter Steve

I use Break Free with good success. I like it because they also have handi wipes, good for wiping of the revolvers at the range before you head home. I like to get the powder off the ports in one of my revolvers asap makes claenup alot easier.

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old March 12, 2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Glennster,

There are several more modern cleaning chemistries that have been getting out into the market. These are water based and I expect they work by chelating—reacting the residue metals to form organic compounds. Bore Tech Eliminator was the first one I tried. The first patch of that stuff I put through a bore came out so deeply blue I couldn't believe how fast it had worked. For copper, check out Jim Owens' sight. He has a European copper remover called KG-12 that removes so much copper so fast it is mind boggling. I'll put a link in here to the test results he got soaking bullets in it to compare it with more conventional cleaners. The test method is detailed, so you could compare Wipe Out if you wanted to?

In addition to these guys, I find I like Gunzilla, which is not a metal remover, but is a good fouling and carbon and rust cutter. It is totally benign to steel, and an overnight soak on hard-caked carbon turns it into mushy sludge. Slip 2000 has a gas tube cleaner that also works well, as does their Carbon Killer product for more general carbon removal. Slip 2000's stuff is faster but harsher. The Gunzilla is vegetable oil-based and doesn't bother your hands or skin at all, even if it takes longer to act. Plus it leaves a lubrication layer behind when it dries.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 12, 2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added Links
Old March 13, 2008, 01:07 AM   #4
hoghunting

I started using Wipe-Out about 2 years ago when I began using Magnum rifles most of the time. I just put the rifle in my vice, put one finger in the chamber and spray Wipe-Out into the muzzle. All it takes is a two second burst. Since Wipe-Out doesn't contain ammonia, I leave it in the barrel overnight. Patch it out the next morning and the barrel is completely clean. It's the easiest and most effective cleaner I've used. I wont' go back to scrubbing with brushes.
Old March 14, 2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Merill Martin pointed out you can see surface bore scuffing from bronze brushes with a bore scope. It is best to avoid brushing if you can find a way to do it.

I notice the Hoppe's Elite line now seems to have a bore cleaner claiming some of the same properties described above.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 14, 2008, 03:01 PM   #6
iskjohnson

I started using Wipe out this past summer on my prairie dog guns. I leave it in for about 8 hours or over night and swab it out. Most of the time once is all you need, but on a really dirty gun (100 rds+) I have had to do it several times before 100% of the copper was gone. It is without a doubt the best cleaner I have used. Even if the gun is really fouled and I have to put it through a couple cycles of Wipeout, I am still only running the cleaning rod through the barrel a few times, and it is my opinion that the fewer times the rod goes throught the barrel the better. There may be others as good or even better that I have not tried, but I highly recommend WipeOut.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Ruger4570

I used Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner for years with good results, but, I did worry about the amonia. I used Wipe Out last year and I am sold on it. Sweets is good, but when they say 15 minutes I have to wonder. Wipe out can be left in the bore overnight with no problem so far.