The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 15, 2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Rob P.

Dry firing practice

I've recently re-started shooting practice after a long break. I was having some flinching problems (& shooting left of aim point) so I started dry firing with a coin balanced on the front sight.

Strong or weak side, the coin always falls off after the second "shot" to the inside. (falls to the left when held in right hand, etc). Is this "normal" or am I somehow tipping the weapon or still flinching?

S&W 3906 with factory grips. I have an XL glove size. I was thinking that changing the grips might help?
Old September 15, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
sendec

Concentrate on pressing the trigger straight to the rear and letting the hammer fall whenever it wants to. Are you familiar with the concept of a suprise break?

Changing the grips won't cure bashing the trigger
Old September 15, 2005, 08:13 PM   #3
DanV1317

pull the trigger back as slow as possible. sllllooooooowwwww. this will make you unaware of actually when the trigger is going to go off. Pull as slow as possible. If you dont know when it's going to go off, you wont know when to flinch.
Old September 15, 2005, 08:14 PM   #4
Ozzieman

First off

I dont believe in dry firing to excess. Not with out snap caps.
The coin idea is a good one but what I find works best is to use a revolver and have some one load it for you so that you cant see and leave one or two empty chambers. You can do it your self but you have to spin the cylinder and close it with out looking.
When you add the recoil and the noise it makes a difference in the way you handle the gun.
It will also allow you to see what your doing IF you pay attention to those times when the gun does not go off. Like pushing the gun forward, pulling right or left or just poor trigger pull.
Old September 16, 2005, 01:48 PM   #5
GeorgeF

Yeah, have a buddy load it and put in fired rounds (empty cases) once in a while with the live rounds. This way you dont need to worry about bringing snapcaps along and dont have to worry about damaging innards.

Alternately, you can get old crappy ammo like I did with my Webley. I'd approximate every other round was a dud. Helped me catch my flinching real quick!