The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Gol499

Newbie, .223 flare or not flare

Brand new to the forum and new to reloading. Question about reloading .223 brass with Nosler 64Gr bonded performance bullet. Should I flare the brass to help seat the bullet? I am new to reloading and the bullet does not want to go into the brass at all, didn't know if I should flare the brass or if that would be a bad thing.
Any advice would be very hepful.
Old September 23, 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
jwrowland77

No flare.

Did you chamfer the inside of the neck to help? If you did, you might want to chamfer a little more. There's also a VLD tool that is also useful. That's what I use all the time on my rifle rounds. Get a Lyman VLD tool, and you won't ever have to worry about it again.
Old September 23, 2013, 10:15 PM   #3
rg1

Don't try flaring. Good advice to use a VLD mouth chamfer tool. A Hornady bullet seating die bought separately helped a bunch on seating all bullets in .223. The Hornady seating die has a sliding alignment sleeve which takes the bullet from your fingers and holds the bullet straight with the case and makes seating much easier and with less run-out than standard seaters. You'd like the Hornady bullet seating die.
Old September 23, 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Ifishsum

Flaring the mouth on bottleneck cartridges is only for lead bullets. With jacketed, all you want is an inside chamfer at the case mouth. Flat base bullets will take a bit of force to start in but that is a good thing.