The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 30, 2000, 04:43 PM   #1
wakal

Since the local club doesn't do the SASS match thing (in west Texas, go figure), I finally stepped forward and agreed to put on a monthly shoot.

I have the "So Ya Wanna Run a Cowboy Match" package coming from SASS, have two years of experience running monthly IDPA-style competitions, and am probably way out of my league.

My only saving grace is that the local Armed Track Meet folks (IPSC) are letting me play with their props (tons of steel, bear traps, all the goodies) and are willing to help out.

My first task is checking the $%#@& mailbox for that SASS kit, and the second is building up some long gun racks for the bays. My third task is deciding on a number of stages. Usually, our IPSC matches run five stages here (we have seven pistol bays), and I was thinking of doing four stages due to the slow loading of the venerable SAA. With four hours to spend and 20-30 people, does that sound about right?

Does anyone have any advice for me, before my head goes below water for the third time? (good trick down here, too.)

Thanks,
Lone Iguana
SASS 21509
Old March 30, 2000, 05:36 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Well, Lone Iguana, I can guarantee you are going to have fun. First time, four stages is plenty. Need to find out who your experienced cowboys are. Try to have a Safety officer, er I mean Posse Marshals meeting to review safety rules. Cowboys shoot in squads, er... I mean posses.Get a copy of the SASS Range Operations-Basic Safety Course to review. We were pretty much the same way. Everyone and I mean everyone wanted to play Cowboy. No one wanted to be Match Director. Finally, a sucker, er, I mean a brave volunteer stepped forward. Our Glock Match Director (GSSF) stepped forward to put on the top cowboy hat. After we decided that glocks weren't cowboy guns everything went fine. We did a exhibtion shoot. Charged nothing and invited anybody to try. Thirteen brave souls shot out three stages in a light drizzle rain. We figured if thirteen would come out in the rain we stood a chance. One year later, 65 shooters at our last match. 44% are families shooting together. 18% are cowgirls shooting. It is lots of fun.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old March 30, 2000, 06:03 PM   #3
wakal

heh heh...at least you had Glocks to argue with, the current reasoning around here is that since the 1911 is a single action, and a .45, it MUST be OK...

I just moved here from Hawaii (great CAS club there), and found out that "the locals" have been trying to rope someone into setting up a match for two years.

Thanks for the advice, and I rather like the idea of a free 'demo' match to hook folks. Not that the average gun person needs much work...some of the folks on base are already floating the "but honey, I have to have a new revolver/lever gun to shoot this Cowboy stuff..." trial balloon. Lots of wives hate me. My wife is fighting back by trying to get THEM to shoot, too! I have noticed that CAS is a much more family oriented shooting sport that IPSC or IPDA.

And less whining.

Old March 30, 2000, 09:31 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Aloha, cousin! Me go Radford HS, Aiea HS, and Damien HS. Father was USMC stationed at CINPAC. Do what I did. Get wife involved in taking gate. Then when she sees how much fun it is , she will want to go cowgirl!! Both my wife and her sister shoot. Wife has 7 1/2" Colt in .357, Marlin Cowboy II .357, and IGA sxs 20 gauge. Her sister has Cimarron Lightnings, 38sp. They share rifle and shotgun. The whole family, me included shoots 38 specials. Cheaper that way! Surfs up! Mahalo