The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 2002, 12:25 PM   #1
ReadyOnTheRight

Duck/Goose Hunt at Lac Qui Parle - Minnesota

[URL=http://www.prairiewaters.com/attractions/stateparks/lqp_wildlife_mgt.php3]

Has anyone hunted the Lac Qui Parle Wildlife Management area in western Minnesota? I'm thinking of going there for somewhere new to do some duck hunting this year. I'm looking for info on places to camp and maybe even some of your semi-secret hunting spots.

I'll have a camo boat w/ both gas and electric motors and decoys. Can I get by without a blind -- setting up in some weeds?

Thanks!
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old September 10, 2002, 11:27 PM   #2
SteelyDan

As far as lodging, you probably have two options: (1) there's a state park on the southwest side of the lake where you can camp, and (2) there are several motels in Montivideo, and possibly some in Appleton, Madison, or Dawson. A third, more remote possibility (only because it takes more time), is to find a farmer who will rent you space to park a trailer or camper.

As for hunting, you have three options: (1) the state (DNR, I think) rents blinds on the west side of the lake on a daily basis; you're very close to the water and will probably get some shots if there's a west or northwest wind, (2) the state also owns land about six miles west of the lake (west of Highway 40) that you're free to hunt on; some of this land has ponds that have ducks, at least for the first weekend, and (3) probably 95% of the surrounding area is farmland; a few of the farmers have signs advertising blinds for rent, many more are willing to let you hunt their land if you ask politely (you can use a portable blind if you want, or just hide in a fenceline), and at the end of the day stop by and chat with them for a bit and offer them $20 or a bottle of hooch, and you'll be welcome back anytime.

In truth, the hunting in the area is not as good as it was even 10 years ago. Ducks are usually decent, especially the first weekend. After that, the goose hunting tends not to heat up until the last week or two, when more of the Canadians (geese, that is) have made their way south.

Finally, almost no one brings a boat. A dog would be much more helpful, as the potholes are generally quite small. But if you're primarily going for ducks around some of the bigger ponds, and you don't have a dog, a boat would be a good idea--you do not want to walk into those ponds in waders. That rich, submerged farmland is very nasty to try to walk on.
Old September 25, 2002, 11:52 AM   #3
cyberamish

We have had good luck with lodging in Montie. The state blinds are on a raffle system so you need to put in for them ahead of time, as well as show up 1 hr before shooting to wait for your name to be called. One piece of advice.... if you have the equipment to hunt on the water do it! #1 you can usually approach the coordinators before they start drawing names and ask if you can go right out (VERY FEW people use the water blinds), #2 you will always get shooting at ducks, and #3 We have never been skunked on geese from the water (many times we are mopping up someone elses' cripples but at least the birds are harvested) The main drawback to the sate blinds is the 6 round limit. I have also rented blinds out there, both daily and seasonally, and would not do it again. Unles you are willing to part with alot of cash the only advantage you will have is being able to skybust with no shell limit. Good Luck!
Old September 26, 2002, 01:01 AM   #4
SteelyDan

Hey Cyber, can you actually rent blinds on the lake if you have a boat?? I've never heard of that before. How far from shore are they? Where are they? I'd really appreciate any info you've got. Thanks.