The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2024, 07:56 PM   #1
David L. Smith

“Yellow Boy” Commemorative Rifle (Little Big Horn) - 44-40, Model 66

My Dad passed away, a few days ago, leaving me his "“Yellow Boy” commemorative rifle, and fifty rounds of 44-40 ammunition. Supposedly, it has never been fired (except maybe at the factory). I am debating on whether it would be better to sell it, and buy something more useful... or, hold onto it to see if it gains anything in value. What do you think?

The rifle is a Model 66, "Yellow Boy", 44-40, lever action. One side of the receiver is stamped with "1876-1976"; and, "To Commemorate The Indian Victory At The Little Big Horn June 25 1876". The other side of the receiver is stamped with decorative artwork.

One side of the barrel is stamped with "Navy Arms CO. RIDGEFIELD N.J. MADE IN ITALY". The other side is stamped "MOD 66 CARBINE CAL. 44/40" (with a small rectangle box, below that, containing what looks like 2 inverted V's - upside down.)

The under side of the receiver is stamped "2916", with another stamp that says "139 of 1500"

What do you think? Keep, or sell?
Old February 3, 2024, 05:09 AM   #2
ligonierbill

I have one. I would need to dig through my poorly arranged files to find what I paid for it, but it isn't a particularly valuable piece. With some exceptions, commemorative guns don't have much extra value. It does seem to be a well made, smoothly operating rifle.

One note, however. Researching the gun, I read that Val Forgett sent copies of the original '66 drawings to his Italian maker, who followed them closely. One item they followed too closely was the length of the cartridge carrier. Supposedly, it is sized for the original 44 Henry round, just a bit short for a standard 44-40. Indeed, mine will chamber and fire a 44-40 round single loaded, but will not feed them from the magazine. My solution is to trim cases a little short, 1.2". Since I load either Unique or blackpowder substitute, this leaves plenty of room.

I don't know how many of these were made or if all had short carriers. But it is something to consider if you choose to shoot it (I do), and it should be revealed to prospective buyers.
Old February 3, 2024, 08:30 PM   #3
44caliberkid

I have a ‘66 Uberti Yellowboy in 44-40, bought new around 1999-2000. It is my main match rifle for CAS and cycles 44-40 shells perfectly.
As for your Commemorative, you could put it on gunbroker with a crazy price tag like $2000 and see if someone wants it bad. Any Uberti 66 that is like new is worth a grand, new prices are around $1300 now.
You could also keep it and shoot it. I have a Uberti Henry that is a Civil War Commemorative, silver plated or polished steel receiver, engraving, very fancy. I didn’t shoot it for awhile but finally just said, Oh , what the heck. It’s a shooter now.
Old February 4, 2024, 10:13 PM   #4
Lurch37

A search of completed auctions on GunBroker gave one recent result, which seems similar to the rifle you have. This one is a saddle ring carbine with Little Big Horn and 967 of 1500 engraved on it. it sold 02/24/2024 for $1825.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1032352512