The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 17, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Brutus

walker ear protectors

Was at Cabelas today scouting out a new chronograph. Took a look at the Walker ear protection offerings which vary in price from $70.00 to $249.00. In reading the descriptions I really couldn't tell the difference between one or the other. How does this work? If you pop for the $250 model do you then need a another lesser model for the other ear?
Old May 17, 2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

I am guessing you are talking about the "single ear" game ears.

I have used the Walker Game Ear Muffs for several years and really like them. IIRC I paid 90-100 bucks for them. They not only amplify the ambient sound, they shut off at a certain decibel level to protect your ears.

Unless they have changed, the single ear versions don't have any hearing protection built into them. They were designed for archery use. If you just want the amplification feature a single unit will work fine for you.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:53 PM   #3
oldandslow

Brutus,

I bought two of the Walkers game ears for about 130 dollars each. The first died after a years use, about one hundred hours (not from battery failure). The next died soon after. They worked OK for still hunting with winds of less than 10 mph. Any more wind and it sounded like radio static in your ears. When walking, even at low volume settings, it sounded like you were walking on potato chips. To get the units evaluated for repair was going to cot 99 dollars each.

Thus-expensive, short lasting with marginal performance.

Now I just use a set of Leights electronic muffs and it works fine for my pig hunting.

good luck-oldandslow