The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 20, 2011, 04:56 PM   #51
lt dan

Art, i would like to hear your comment. like i said we have berries here in africa, they start out green, and all are feeding on it in this stage. they then turn orange and finally red. as soon as they turn orange no buck touches them from then on. same as dangerous frogs and beetles with light red and orange colors. no bird or predator or baboon comes near them. all of them still blind to orange or just the North American game?

i have long been a against the " African wild live are tougher more intelligent; more agile" than that of the rest of the world. simply because they are from african origin.
Old April 20, 2011, 10:00 PM   #52
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...as soon as they turn orange no buck touches them from then on.
That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that. The only answer I can think of is that while they may be able to distinguish the color as something that's not good to eat they don't associate it with being shot at or hunted.
Old April 21, 2011, 12:15 AM   #53
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Art, i would like to hear your comment. like i said we have berries here in africa, they start out green, and all are feeding on it in this stage. they then turn orange and finally red. as soon as they turn orange no buck touches them from then on. same as dangerous frogs and beetles with light red and orange colors. no bird or predator or baboon comes near them. all of them still blind to orange or just the North American game?
Pretty much most or all artiodactyls are partially color blind in the same way. They don't see reds in the way we see reds. That doesn't mean that anything red is invisible just like seeing Santa in his red suit on a B&W TV program of yesteryear. You can still see Santa.

Let me point out a few problems here. You assume that color is the only distinguishing characteristic that denotes when a berry turns poisonous. No doubt that as they ripen, their smell changes as well. Humans tend to be much more vision-oriented and a lot less smell-oriented. Subtle changes in smell would be readily apparent to your African bucks though it would not be apparent to you. They rely on their sense of smell for survival and have done so on an evolutionary basis. You and humans haven't, not to the extent of bucks.

The same holds for various dangerous bugs and frogs. Color isn't going to be the only que.

Also consider this aspect. The African bucks may not see orange, but do see green. They can very plainly see when the berry changes from green to what they would perceive as gray. It isn't anything amazing. They aren't blind. They certainly can see when the change takes place.
Old April 21, 2011, 02:39 AM   #54
ZeroJunk

One thing for sure, if you elk hunt and are on a high ridge opening morning in a busy area you will see plenty of bright new orange vests out as far as a couple of miles. I find it hard to believe the elk don't see them whether they perceive orange or just bright spots moving around.
Old April 21, 2011, 05:49 AM   #55
B.L.E.

Humans are also pretty colorblind in their periphial vision. Try this experiment just for fun. Get a bag of multicolored jellybeans or M&Ms and draw them randomly out of the bag without looking at them, then slowly bring one of them into your periphial vision area while you direct your gaze at some object in front of you. See if you can tell what color it is while you see it out of the corner of your eye.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:29 AM   #56
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

lt dan, all I know about color vision is from reading what the science boffins say about rods and cones. "Varying shades of gray."

So as mentioned above, the change from green to red would be a variance in whatever shade of color is seen.

Just off the cuff, as far as my own vision is concerned, I see motionless camo no better than anybody else. But I've noticed that my eye is attracted more quickly to motion by somebody wearing camo than by somebody wearing earthtoned clothing which fairly well matches their surroundings.

Which takes me back to my belief that being motionless and working the wind are more important than whether or not one is "hiding" via camo. (Mammals, not birds, as the intended prey.)
Old April 21, 2011, 09:20 PM   #57
A_Gamehog

So that Other hunters won't shoot you. Lots of animals are color blind. Movement is the key to concealing yourself. Funny how another active post here is about a Child being shot by a Hunter!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448529

Last edited by A_Gamehog; April 21, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:45 AM   #58
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
So that Other hunters won't shoot you. Lots of animals are color blind. Movement is the key to concealing yourself. Funny how another active post here is about a Child being shot by a Hunter!
Turkey shotgun hunters commonly don't wear orange and are not required to do so by law because turkeys are not color blind.

The father was hit as well, but uninjured.

Poor example as they would not be shotgun hunting turkeys if they were wearing orange.

-------------------

Why is it we consider anything that doesn't see what we see to be color blind, but animals such as deer that are dichromatic in what we perceive as the visible spectrum (we are trichromatic) see further into the UV spectrum than we do, but we don't consider ourselves colorblind for not seeing into that UV area. Are we not colorbind as compared to what they see?

http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatVision.htm
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/res...vision/4d.html