The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 17, 2002, 12:50 AM   #1
sven

Review: Jackson Arms, South San Francisco (2 THUMBS DOWN)

Recently transplanted to the Bay Area, I decided to investigate a local gun range / store today - namely, Jackson Arms in South San Francisco. I went in thinking I might buy a gun - having now experienced a new all-time low in customer service, I assure you that there is no way in h*ll these guys will get my business.

I stood patiently over the gun counter, dressed totally professionally, staring at the limited selection... waiting for someone to come assist me... after 10 minutes, I began pacing. After 5 more minutes I turned to the two young punks goofing off behind the counter and asked:

"Do you sell handguns here?"

"Yeah, the guns are in the counter behind you"

(jaw drops in disbelief)

-

Here's a tip to the ownership of Jackson Arms: hire and retain qualified staff and pay them what they are worth -> you might actually MAKE MONEY SELLING GUNS. You lost a customer today. Think about it.

-pissed in SF (and still looking for gun store recommendations in the Bay Area)
Old February 17, 2002, 12:57 AM   #2
Bowser

Bullseye Shooting Range in San Rafael.

10 lane indoor pistol and pistol caliber carbine range.

No punks.

No gang bangers either.

415 453 7465
Old February 17, 2002, 12:57 AM   #3
CZ_

^Yeah, I know what you mean. Marin Firearms (also in the Bay Area) has poor service IMO-->not only do they try to force unwanted guns down your throat, they lie and make things up about low quality guns to get quick sales. To be blunt, they lost me as a customer because of their dishonest practice.

Now, on to the good customer service gunshops in the Bay Area. I've always had excellent luck with Montana Hawk pistol range: I know the owner (Doug) and he is a great guy and honest. If you don't mind driving the long distance, I'd recommend giving them a try. They are located in Cotati (North Bay). The only down side is high prices, but I don't mind paying a little extra for good customer service and honest salesmen/saleswomen. If you do decide to go through Montana Hawk, ask for Doug. He's the best one there.

Oh, yeah I also agree with the gentleman that mentioned Bullseye Pistol Range in San Rafael. They also are a good place to buy guns, and they run an honest business.

Either place (Montana Hawk or Bullseye) will be a good choice IMO. Give them a try!
Old February 17, 2002, 01:54 AM   #4
la rue

canyon sports in martinez,nice friendly people small inventory but
will get you anything.
antioch armory in antioch
traders in san leandro,large stock but kind of expensive.
Old February 17, 2002, 05:06 AM   #5
SteveC

Bay Area gun stores

I spoke on the phone with (I think) Jim Tabor at "Tabor's Shooting Supplies", he seemed to be reasonable and he seems to have a reputation for being straight with people. Never been to his store, so I can't say anything about his prices. He seems to get recommended when you ask for a gunsmith.

The folks down at Target Masters in Milpitas are helpful, and they have a good selection, but you won't get much of a discount on their guns. Their range is decent, but they don't allow double-taps or rapid fire (Jackson Arms does).
Reeds down in San Jose has a helpful and professional staff, but their prices reflect that.
Traders in San Leandro has a large selection, their prices not all that good, and some folks complain about their customer service.

Some of the smaller outfits like Old West Gun Room and Irvington Arms seem to have better prices, and the guys who run them seem to be fairly straight, but they don't have the smoothest customer service skills (on the other hand, honesty and good prices are good things).
Old February 17, 2002, 08:54 AM   #6
Bud Helms

Moving to Retail Deals & Feedback.