The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2009, 09:35 PM   #26
robfromga

dylan, man you crack me up!

glad you worked out the kinks. the double disc comes with the heavy return spring, its a good thing to have as your pretty limited with what powder to use when you only have the single disc. havent heard anything before about being able to double charge it? hope i dont have a gun killer loaded up

but any more than a normal charge in the .223 and the case over-flows.
Old March 5, 2009, 09:48 PM   #27
Inspector3711

Quote:
The pro 1000 does not (as I understand it) come with a spring return.
Mine did. It's installed between the bottom of the ball chain and the hole in the press that the ball chain goes through. Look at your instructions and you'll see the procedure for adjusting the chain. I think it shows the spring in that picture.
Old March 5, 2009, 10:09 PM   #28
protectedbyglock

Well thanks, rob! I'm glad you had the same problem and could help me out.
Not really glad either of us had the problem, but you know what I mean..

Inspector, I think we're talking about two different springs. Mine came with the little one on the end of the chain.
However, the one some other people are talking about (and I think the one pictured in crustys post above) did not come with mine. I don't even know where you would attach it on mine. Maybe the difference between the Pro and standard model? Strange thing is that crustys looks like the pro model from the pic, though.

BTW: Rob, I am using the double disk kit. No other way to really load .223, I don't think. Well, you could load some at like like 24gn, (H335 is like 24.3gn but that's one of the highest).

Last edited by protectedbyglock; March 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: btw
Old March 6, 2009, 01:20 AM   #29
Inspector3711

Ohhhh That spring... No sir... No big honkin silver spring on mine.
Old March 6, 2009, 07:58 AM   #30
robfromga

Dylan... guess your right on the spring, thought it came with the kit, but I guess thats part of what Pat at Lee sent me. Call em up and get that spring, they sent me mine free and I have zero powder spill now(more smileys)

I loaded up 100 or so last night!
Old March 6, 2009, 09:55 AM   #31
protectedbyglock

Inspector... ha ha... that is a big honkin spring.

Rob, I'm glad you got yours all straightened out, too. It's a good feeling, isn't it? I don't think I've been aggravated this bad by anything in along time.
I'm swaging some brass at the moment, actually (don't tell my boss) ,
so I'll have another couple hundred to load tonight.
If I see any more problems at all, I'll call up Pat at lee and see what he (she?) can do. As it stands now, though, the measure is working perfect even without any weight or anything. Hopefully this continues. It tells me that the bushing definately needs polished smooth when you get it (or lee should do a better job at manufacturing them).
Old March 6, 2009, 12:18 PM   #32
CrustyFN

Mine came set up for the chain but the spring and extra arm were included in the box. I bought my set up almost three years ago before they offered kits. They might package things different now.
Quote:
havent heard anything before about being able to double charge it? hope i dont have a gun killer loaded up

but any more than a normal charge in the .223 and the case over-flows.
Rob I agree that you wouldn't be able to double charge a rifle round. Most people were concerned with loading pistol you could lower the case and raise it back into the die and double charge where you couldn't do that with the chain return. To me it doesn't seem like a big deal because we are supposed to be paying attention to what we are doing.
Rusty
Old March 6, 2009, 01:11 PM   #33
protectedbyglock

I see, rusty. That makes much more sense.

I also agree that it would be impossible to double charge a 223 round with the H335 you're using, Rob (or most other powders intended for this case). No worries there. If you didn't see the big powder spill, still didn't notice when seating the bullet, I doubt you'd even be able to blow yourself up.
Now, if you accidently used pistol powder, sure. Big problems.
But with slow-burning and bulky rifle powder, I don't think so.
Old March 6, 2009, 08:40 PM   #34
TEDDY

spring

I have an older measure and it has the spring which hooks in front of arm and on back of casting.I kept wondering about the weight on the measure.now I know no spring.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:56 PM   #35
protectedbyglock

You laughin' at my weight??

I loaded another 50rnds last night in about 1/2 hr with NO spills and NO weights. I'm getting more convinced with every new round that it was a crappy rough bushing from lee. Maybe I'll polish the other bushing before I send it back to the guy who accidently sent me 2, just to save the guy who ends up with it from the aggravation....
Old March 7, 2009, 01:55 PM   #36
robfromga

Good to hear that you got her rolling

Ive got a super swage on the way, it'll be here wed-thurs. Ive got about 5k LC to keep me busy
Old March 7, 2009, 02:40 PM   #37
protectedbyglock

I'm glad I got her rolling, too. I just did 25 more in 10mins. I'm getting faster. I wonder where I'll (safely) max out at?

I also have 2k military on the way. I think I might just get that RCBS case station. I looked at the dillon swager, too. Pretty sweet.
Old March 10, 2009, 06:57 AM   #38
robfromga

I was tired of hand reeming and Im thinking swaging produces a better final product than a reemer.

I dont go so much for speed, but with cases prep'd I'm some where in the 150 a hour range. So in 2 hrs I get a nice time at the range

Hows it working for ya? Still smoothing out? My biggest issue now is stinking primers and powder. I use a local mom and pop shop and they go out of business this month. They havent ordered anything new so they're getting low, no more primers and little to no powder. Im down to 4k primers and maybe 10# of various powders. Sux to have to order that stuff now, never had to worry about it before.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:21 AM   #39
protectedbyglock

I still haven't had a single spill. I've loaded about 300 more cases. Thanks for asking. How's yours working out? I still haven't had to modify anything else yet.

I hear you on the lack of components. I'm gonna go back to my guy today and try to get some more stuff. He was sold out of a couple of the powders I regularly use,but I'm researching some different ones to try. I wanted to try some Varget, but he never had it anyway. Now I'm looking at some Alliant powders and Winchester. He's out of the IMR I wanted to try, too.
As for primers, I know he's out of CCI (well, I'm guessing. He only had like 300 left on saturday. I know he had Federals, but everyone keeps telling me to steer clear (including Lee).

So, I'm down to 1lb of powder and 1k primers. Sounds like you're in better shape than me. I have a bunch of varmint bullets on the way, and I still have about 600FMJBTs left, but I really need to find some primers and powder!!
I'm going straight there after work...I just can't wait any longer.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:46 PM   #40
robfromga

so far everything is working well, setup my super swage today holy mother of God...that really is the only way to remove the crimp, its so easy a caveman could do it!

im set for components, but worried about where to go when im out. Ive always used hogdgon powders, h335,h322,blc(2)... im kinda worried about not having any powder or primers
Old March 11, 2009, 11:42 AM   #41
CrustyFN

I'm glad you guys got the problems worked out. It's a lot more fun when everything works right.
Rusty