The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 3, 2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Skarekrow88

Which AK Recoil Buffer?

I was ordering some parts from Midway and came across some recoil buffers. I gave these a thought at one time a while ago but saw so many people saying they caused malfunctions and that they weren't necessary that I immediately dismissed the thought of buying one.

Seeing these once again on the site made me decide to check the receiver and bolt carrier on my rifle for wear. Although minimal IMO for the amount of rounds I have put through my AK there still is visible wear so I have decided to just give one of these buffers a shot. If it causes problems, oh well. I'll just toss it, be out 10-15 bucks and life goes on.

I was just wondering which is the most recommended, less likely to cause malfunctioning, lasts longer, etc. I've seen that several different manufacturers such as Wilson Combat, Buffer Technologies, and Blackjack produce their own. I've heard mixed things about each of them. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: In case the specific make and model of the rifle makes a difference I am running an Arsenal SGL-20
Old July 3, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I was just wondering which is the most recommended, less likely to cause malfunctioning, lasts longer, etc.
You answered your own question

Quote:
I gave these a thought at one time a while ago but saw so many people saying they caused malfunctions and that they weren't necessary that I immediately dismissed the thought of buying one.
I really wouldn't ever use one. If they worked or were needed any of the 100+ countries that issue AK pattern rifles to their military would use them. I vote for putting that 10 or 15 bucks toward some ammo and fun times at the range.
Old July 3, 2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Ludwig Von Mises

I've heard around my LGS and range of other problems created within the receiver, possibly from the change in energy distribution, e.g., while the stock AK trunions will take a good battering over their lives, it is incidental erosive wear, while the focusing of the force into that one area (buffer) is actual mechanical wear aka stress. I dont know if the terms are right but it seems logical.

as someone else said, I'm sure one of the combloc countries would have used them if they were viable in any way, and besides, the x39 is a relatively low recoil round, and I don't see VEPR using buffers on their 308's or 54r's, which have 80 and 90 percent more recoil energy respectively.

Buy some Tulammo.
Old July 4, 2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Mausermolt

I use Wilson Combat shock buffers in my 1911. my brother told me that he used to use them in his 1911 until one disintegrated while firing and cause serious malfunctions. one thing he did mention after the fact was the buffer was over 5000 rnds old! Wilson recommends (in the 1911) to replace every 500 rnds. DOY! although i dont see the value in using one in an AK. those guns are beat to crap all over the world and they dont malfunction. My AK is just a noise maker anyway, i have the slidefire stock on it so im sure it takes a little more of a beating than normal civy use, but i still dont really see the need to put a buffer in it. if it starts to wear out, ill trade it off and buy a new one and enjoy wearing it out too!
Old July 6, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I've never in 40 years of shooting shot enough rounds through a well built gun to ruin it. The AK platform certainly runs just fine without a buffer. I'd pass on it.
Old July 6, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
5.56RifleGuy

Doesnt it already have a buffer? Isnt that part of the recoil springs job?
Old July 11, 2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Patriot328

Which AK Recoil Buffer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56RifleGuy View Post
Doesnt it already have a buffer? Isnt that part of the recoil springs job?
Pretty much, watch this slow mo video...

Sorry it's a mobile link I believe.

http://youtu.be/Mu1_Wm7pqKo

The carrier barely makes it all the way back. Not sure a buffer would do much. Now of course it will depend on the individual rifle and ammo, but why reinvent the wheel?
Old July 13, 2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Mike38

Pistolsmiths such as Bill Wilson and Jerry Kuhnhausen suggest the use of shock buffers. If anyone here thinks they can stand tall along side gentlemen of this caliber and say shock buffs are not necessary, feel free to make such claim. As for me, I’ll keep using them.
Old July 13, 2013, 11:34 AM   #9
5.56RifleGuy

They say that about AK rifles?
Old July 13, 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Mike38

Same principle. The bolt or slide comes back and kisses the receiver, on firearms without buffs. On firearms with buffs, the bolt or slide comes back and kisses the buff, never coming in contact with the receiver. Repeating, never coming in contact. Tell me, which firearm is going to last longer?

I know, I know, a properly made precision machined perfectly square firearm doesn’t need a shock buff. Show me an off the shelf precision machined AK. Come on, show me.

As for longevity, my M1911 goes about 2000 rounds per buffer. Never had one crumble apart after that long, but it’s been close. My AK has about 2000 rounds through it, and by the looks of the buffer, it’s good for another 2000 rounds.

I would never use a buffer in a self defense firearm, but always use them in range guns.

Oh, by the way, Ed Brown ships all his target guns with shock buffers installed. Again, who ever is willing to tell the likes of Brown, Wilson and Kuhnhausen they don’t know what they are talking about, feel free to do so. You’re a bigger man then I am.
Old July 13, 2013, 03:54 PM   #11
5.56RifleGuy

Any well respected AK guys sell their high end guns with buffers? Marc Krebs comes to mind.

Last edited by 5.56RifleGuy; July 13, 2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 13, 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
5.56RifleGuy

"I would never use a buffer in a self defense firearm, but always use them in range guns."

Why, does installing a buffer make them more likely to malfunction?
Old July 13, 2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Willie D

Quote:
Why, does installing a buffer make them more likely to malfunction?

It changes the motion/length/timing of the recoil stroke; specifically, it can make the stroke shorter or faster - which from a reliability standpoint is not the direction you want to be going.

If your bolt carrier is causing wear on the rear of the rifle maybe the recoil spring needs replacing.

As to why any high end manufacturer would put one in their rifle: because customers expect do-dads on their expensive rifles, regardless of performance (best case scenario, buffer has no effect on perfomance - it certainly can't make the rifle run better).
Old July 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #14
5.56RifleGuy

"If your bolt carrier is causing wear on the rear of the rifle maybe the recoil spring needs replacing."

My thoughts exactly.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:54 AM   #15
TB9

to my thoughts on the subject. after 60+ years the russians still dont put them in thier AK's they must know some thing about the design.