The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 7, 2000, 11:28 AM   #1
Jeff, CA

Alright. I've looked through other threads about gun safes, and looked at several web sites. Here's my next decision:

I misspoke when I said I don't have room for a big safe. My apartment has an attached, 2-car garage, and I have 1 car. I can either get the most massive, impenetrable colossus available, and have it delivered right into the garage, up against the wall, or I can go with something smaller and lighter (no more than 30" wide and 65" tall), and put it in the bedroom closet. This would require going through the front door, and temporarily taking off the bedroom and closet doors (not really a big deal).

The climate here is rainy & foggy in winter and brutally hot (>100) in summer. I'm not too worried about the heat, but guns in the garage would be continuously exposed to near 100% humidity in winter.

What would you do?

Old June 7, 2000, 02:49 PM   #2
KilgorII

If I had the room and could afford it... Huge safe with plenty of desicant (sp?) bags.

Old June 7, 2000, 03:50 PM   #3
missmanytoes

Put it in the garage and buy the colossus safe. Safes are like houses...no matter how big it is when you first buy it, pretty soon you manage to fill it up. I'm pretty sure you can buy a dehumidifier from most safe manufacturers. Check the accessories they offer and you'll probably find what you need.

-sarah
Old June 7, 2000, 04:08 PM   #4
brionic

I wouldn't leave any of my "tools" out of my immediate vicinity. I considered putting my cabinet in the garage, until I recognized that locking 'em up away from my control would effectively disarm me...

Also, I figured that it would be MUCH easier for an undesirable to get into my garage than into my house, so I ruled out that idea post haste.

Consider getting two cabinets, so that you have access to your weapons from either end of your crib.

Also, remember that 30" is generally the width of residential doorways, but you *MUST* consider the doorstops within before negotiating the doorway... if it's too tight just pop of the stops and then reinstall 'em after you're done. It's much easier than trying to squeeze through, and you won't mess up the finish on your safe!

Regards,
--
Brian

Old June 8, 2000, 01:29 PM   #5
JNewhouse

I feel like I am getting in here kind of late, but I'll tell you what I did.
Not being able to afford a nice safe (read "colossus"). And since I didn't want to deal with the logistics because I live in a one bedroom upstairs, I bought a hundred dollar safe from Wal-Mart.
I put all of the pistols, bolts, magazines, and shotgun shells into the small safe. (I'd like to see someone try to pick it up.) I figure that if an essential part of the weapon is missing, someone might think twice about bothering. They might just opt for the bag of golf clubs and camera equipment sitting around the safe.
I know this isn't the most secure way of dealing with it, but I have renter's insurance and I felt that it was the best that I could do in my situation with the funds that I have available. (i.e. I want to spend my money on guns and reloading equipment right now)
Old June 8, 2000, 10:19 PM   #6
Jeff, CA

Thanks for the input...

Old June 10, 2000, 11:53 AM   #7
Bennett Richards

For something novel for rapid handgun access check out www.gammaiii.com

I have one of these and LOVE it.

Radio works great too~!

Ben
Old June 10, 2000, 04:57 PM   #8
Different

If your bedroom closet is big enough then try this. Measure the width of all the doors leading outside. Using the largest door width, i.e., 35" go to the lumber yard and have three 3/4" thick plywood sheets cut into 36" x 36" squares. When you get a safe make sure it has holes in the bottom. Then using 2" long screws, fasten the safe to the sheets of plywood that have been stacked under the gun safe. Then no one can hand truck your safe out the door to their van while you are at work. Of course, this assumes the thief doesn't bring his power saw with him.

Old June 10, 2000, 11:46 PM   #9
CrociJA

Ehhh...About that "colussus complex", we routinely get 55 gallon drums that weigh 6-700 lbs apiece. Although a forklift does the majority of the work, we still have to roll them into the semi. With a dolly or hand-truck a "skilled crew" can quickly move just about anything up to 1000 lbs.
If you do put it in the house, might I recommend you "sink it" into the floor about an 1". Making getting it out all the more difficult.
Hey I'm paranoid I know, but I also take pains to NOT let anyone in my neighborhood know I have ANY guns.
Got my wee-wee stuck on this one before.
"Silence is golden".
Granted I don't not know how many firearms or of what quality you own, which is good, even better if nobody else know's what you have to begin with.

Jon
Old June 11, 2000, 08:48 AM   #10
chris in mo

Jeff CA

If moving the safe into the bedroom is a problem and you are not worried about fire protection, you may want to look into a Zanotti sp? safe. They are a modular system and come disassembled. The safe can be moved one side at a time to reduce size and weight. When they are assembled you can not tell them from a one piece safe.