The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2002, 08:36 PM   #1
30ish in Ga

Colt Pony -- dry firing?

The owner's manual recomends NOT dry firing the Colt Pony Pocketlite.

I would like to use this gun occaisionally (twice a year) at the IDPA match but the saftey procedures require dropping the hammer at the end of each stage (about eight times for the match). I can't get a variance from the match director for this gun which is, of course, understandable.

So how much dry firing can this gun take? I DO rely on it as a primary concealed defense weapon while at work. It must be reliable.
Old January 25, 2002, 09:04 PM   #2
Catbird

I also have a Colt Pony Pocketlite and have read (and follow) the recommendation NOT to dry fire the gun. I don't understand what you mean about "dropping the hammer"; how can you do that on a DAO gun? The hammer doesn't stay back when the slide goes forward....I'm confused.

If you mean pressing the slide release lever (dropping the slide) on an empty magazine, that's okay.

If you mean after ejecting the magazine and clearing the chamber, the range master wants you to dry fire for proof of an empty gun, I would get an official to overrule that decision or select another gun for IDPA. The warning in the manual not to dry fire is there for a reason.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old January 25, 2002, 09:13 PM   #3
30ish in Ga

At the end of each stage the gun must be either dry fired or the hammer dropped to show that the gun is not loaded. "Dropping the hammer " is the loosley used phrase used to execute this manuver. Not technically correct, but understood by all in the context of the moment.
Old January 26, 2002, 07:16 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

In other words they want to hear it go click. I don't think dry firing as you describe will hurt anything. But it might not hurt to have an extra striker/firing pin on hand just in case. George
Old January 27, 2002, 09:35 AM   #5
Sackett

For dry firing, why not use a dummy cartridge such as "Snap Cap" or some other brand? Rack the slide just enough to engage the firing mechanism but not enough to eject the cartridge. Then the firing pin has a "primer" to strike.
Old January 28, 2002, 08:58 AM   #6
Ultraman

I have 2 Ponys and a Mustang. Love them! I dry fire my carry PONY every day. I try to dry fire it at least 50 times. The trigger just keeps getting better and better. After reading the post this morning I got out my instruction manual and what it saids is "never dry fire the pistol WHEN THE SLIDE IS REMOVED FROM THE RECEIVER" not never dry fire the pistol.
Old January 28, 2002, 10:38 AM   #7
30ish in Ga

Ultraman-- You're right. I must not have been paying full attention when I read that part of the manual.

Thanks for clearing that up. -- 30ish.

"Never overlook the obvious"