The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Big Caliber

308 seating die for...

seating bullets into a 30-06 case. Can it be done??? or is there not enough room in the die? I know I need the FL sizing die.
Old March 22, 2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Dufus

You can do that, but your cartridge concentricity might not be kosher unless you are really careful. I am not sure if the 308 die will hold the case properly unless I tried it myself. Ain't got anything to lose, so why not give it a try?

The 30-06 is some 0.013" narrower at the shoulder.
Old March 22, 2016, 07:53 PM   #3
condor bravo

Certainly can, even applying a crimp if needed. Works every time. I'm not aware of any objections, such as bullet alignment, to doing that.
Old March 22, 2016, 08:02 PM   #4
emcon5

You got me curious, so I just went out and tried it, seems to work OK.

The -06 case is longer, so put the case in the shell holder and run the ram up, then screw down the die until it contacts the shoulder.

Not ideal, but if that is all you have, and I don't know if you can get a consistent crimp.

I was using the seating die from Lee Collet die set.
Old March 22, 2016, 11:52 PM   #5
Big Caliber

Hmmmmm. 0.013" narrower??? Well, that fact and some discussion w/ friends tells me to stop trying to pinch a penny and just buy the 30-06 dies. Thanks guys!
Old March 23, 2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah, the 30-06 has a greater taper on its sides. However, that won't necessarily make a huge difference. The clearance for the resized case in the die is usually a few thousandths, but that's already enough bullet tilt to affect accuracy adversely. If you are looking to keep your bullets really straight, the Redding Competition Seater die is the best I've found, but it's price is not for the economy-minded.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2016, 10:21 PM   #7
F. Guffey

Difference; the 308 W die is shorter by .479”, that is not a problem because the 308 W case is larger in diameter at the shoulder meaning the 30/06 die chamber reamer will not clean the 308 W chamber up. The case body/shoulder juncture will remain after reaming.

I have used other dies for seating by adjusting the die off the shell holder with a feeler gage. Same when forming cases.

F. Guffey