The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Buck88

New to Reloading

I'm trying to get started reloading here. My Grandad used to reload rifle rounds back in the 60's and 70's, so I have a lot of equipment. I will be primarily loading .45 ACP.

My first question is that I have an old powder measure that is throwing pretty consistant charges - plus or minus .1 of a grain. How detrimental is that .1 grain?

My second question is I have my Grandad's old powder, Du Pont SR-4756 and SR-7625. If I had to guess this powder is probably 30+ years old, is that going to cause a problem?

Thanks, Buck
Old June 30, 2008, 08:13 PM   #2
flycaster

First off, welcome to reloading! A tenth of a grain accuracy is fine for almost all purposes. As for the powder- I'd take a pass on it, if I were you. Remember too that you will want to work up loads with powder that's easily found today. There are so many good ones around, so stick with a current powder.

Chuck
Old June 30, 2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Buck88

Flycaster, thanks. I figured I should just be on the safe side and get some current powder. Data on the Hodgdon site shows the powders that I listed, but only show a max load. Can you guys recommend a powder that will go well with 230gr. FMJ's and CCI primers?

Does it matter if the data shows a 230gr LRN and I'm wanting to use a 230gr. FMJ?
Old June 30, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
crowbeaner

Just open the cans and take a sniff. If they still smell like ether, they're still good. The Du Pont versions can be loaded a bit heavier than the newer IMR stuff because the lawyers hadn't gotten to it. Get the 1990 or earlier booklets for the heavier charge weights. They are both good stuff, and will do a yeoman job in your 45 ACP.
Old June 30, 2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Dearhunter61

Welcome to reloading

I started reloading back in December last year. I have had a great time reloading for my rifles. It has brought me a lot of satisfaction to work on loads for most of my rifles.

So far I have reloaded for the following and managed 3 shot groups of less than 1 inch at 100 yards:
22-250
7mm Mag

I still have to work on 300 Mag and 7mm-08.
Old July 1, 2008, 11:19 AM   #6
ryalred

Congratulations on entering the wonderful, exciting world of reloading. It is the most enjoyable and useful hobby I've ever had.

.1 grain deviation will not have a detrimental impact on accuracy.

I, too, would skip using the old powder.
reloading -- addicted
Old July 1, 2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Buck88

Thanks guys, definitely gonna get new powder. Another question I've got is do I need a crimp die? I talked to the guys at Midway, and the way they explained it is that its just an added security measure. But I want to do this right. Thanks, Buck
Old July 1, 2008, 01:14 PM   #8
gandog56

Most bullet sizer dies also crimp, so it is not really necessary. But they do put a better crimp on and also act as a final sizer die. I like them and use them. But I also set the seater die so it does NOT crimp.
Old July 1, 2008, 01:55 PM   #9
Buck88

I decided to order one anyway. I ordered through Midway, so if I end up not using it, I'll send it back. Thanks, Buck
Old July 1, 2008, 03:59 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Quote:
Does it matter if the data shows a 230gr LRN and I'm wanting to use a 230gr. FMJ?
Yes it does. A lead bullet will normally load 10% less than what a FMJ loads at. If you don't have one then I would suggest a current reloading manual. Speer 13 or 14 and Lyman 48 if you can find it. Lyman should be comming out with the 49th this month. Welcome.
Rusty
Old July 1, 2008, 10:21 PM   #11
Buck88

yeah, I ordered a couple of the books off of midway, specifically refering to the .45 ACP. The books look sorta cheap and flimsy so I'll probably end up ordering one or two of the more main stream books like Nosler or Barnes. I was just asking because on the Hodgdons website it only lists Winchester powder for the FMJ's. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what these books have to offer as far as reloading data for the FMJ. Again guys, thanks for all the direction. - Buck
Old July 5, 2008, 03:48 PM   #12
benzuncle

I'm a little late to the game folks, sorry. Welcome to reloading! I began loading 230gr RN 45ACP's in February as a hobby to feed my growing addiction. I use Hodgdon's HP-38 which is akin to Win 231. I use 5.1gr and have found it to be very suitable. I use CCI Large Pistol Primers and have to date built and fired 2500 rounds with nothing to show for it but pure satisfaction. I'm about to enter the cast lead bullet arena. This will reduce my costs to $6 per box of 50 rounds (I pick up and reuse the brass.) At 5.1 grains per bullet, I can "build" 1350+ rounds out of a single pound of powder. Having said that, I'd chuck the olde stuff just to err on the safe side. As for the factory crimp die: I use a 4-hole turret press and use the factory crimp as the final step. As I use a Lee Classic Turret Press, the cost of the die is nominal. It's a great hobby for me, especially when you realize that there isn't much on TV these days but politics and tragedies. BTW: a case gage is an inexpensive, nifty way to check your rounds for size and Overal Length after you build'em. Best of luck to you!
Old July 5, 2008, 04:09 PM   #13
zxcvbob

Get new powder, but I wouldn't throw away the old powder unless I knew it was bad. Save it for a few months until you have more experience. (I assume we are talking about more than just a few ounces of powder)
Old July 7, 2008, 05:23 PM   #14
ForneyRider

I've used powder that is 20+ years old with no ill effect, worked as well as new stuff.

It should smell still.

Not familar with those powders. I use W231 and Power Pistol for 45ACP.

1/10 grain is pretty much what accuracy you get with powder measuring devices.
Old July 11, 2008, 09:31 PM   #15
butta9999

if it is a volume measurer be sure to check your loads. As the powder goes down in the cylinder it will change the volume that is thrown. The density changes,
Old July 11, 2008, 10:28 PM   #16
Threefeathers

I have some 50 year old powder Du Pont #7. I did the smell test and have loaded 200 rounds of it in 45 ACP. No problemo. In fact it is so accurate i wander why DuPont discontinued it.
Old July 11, 2008, 10:43 PM   #17
Sidetracked

If the powder smells good, load 20 rounds and test it.

If you can't find starting loads in any of the manuals, drop 10%-15
% from the listed maximum and use that as your starting load. Work up in 0.1, 0.2, or 0.3 grain increments and you should be fine.

As long as the cans were sealed, my bets will be placed on the powder being just fine.
Old July 12, 2008, 12:20 AM   #18
Edward429451

Old powder is good for a couple things. To make cheap plinking loads in anticipation of going shooting with friends, or to dump on the rose bushes as fertilizer and watch those roses take off!
Old July 12, 2008, 12:42 PM   #19
shu

Buck88-

Welcome. Reloading has really expanded my understanding of shooting. Been at it about 8 yrs.

The paperback comb bound loadbooks (what you probably ordered) are a collection by caliber of data published by bullet and powder manufacturers. Nice to have to help get a handle on the rather disturbing variations you will find in the various published 'maximum' loads.

But do get yrself a current book by Speer or Hornady or one of the others. You will want the general background on components (bullets, cases, primers, powders), equipment (press, scale, dies, calipers), and process of reloading. The info and advice available on boards like TFL is great, but is no substitute for a thorough and organized presentation.

I do have a couple of Lee Factory Crimp dies (9mm and 45acp). Don't use them much. My loading is on a single stage RCBS rock chucker press. Mostly now I crimp as little as possible anyhow (a real challenge with 357sig; the best answer I have found is to use BlueDot powder, a compressed load).

Got the 45acp when I was new with the 1911 and swaged lead semi-wad-cutters kept jamming on the feed from magazine. Didn't help. Some 1911's just dont like anything except round-nose.

Got the 9mm when 9mm were not going into battery in an afermarket barrel for my G-31 357sig. Didn't help there either. The barrel is just *really* tight in the chamber.

-shu
Old July 13, 2008, 08:23 AM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Don't get carried away on crimping. The ACP headspaces on the front edge of the cartridge case.
Old July 13, 2008, 10:14 AM   #21
WESHOOT2

Powder? W231.

Crimp? .469--.471".