The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 12, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
cocopolo

ManuFrance...La salle shotgun

I have a La Salle Manufrance shotgun that I bought in the early eighties. Manufactured in St Etienne France...Nice looking shotgun with really smooth action, 3 inch chamber with chrome lined barrel....

Hard to find anything on it on the internet...what it's worth or about it's reputation...I was young and had no knowledge of firearms when I bought it and I have no idea how much I paid for it...Not much I'm sure...

Anybody know some history on it or it's value...It is in very good condition.
Old March 12, 2008, 06:36 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

From 5th edition standard catalog of firearms: Page 384

Lasalle France Manufrance
Chambered for 12 or 20 gauge and is offered with a 26", 28", or 30" barrel with improved-cylinder, modified, or full chokes. The reciever is alloy, anodized blue; and the vent rib barrel is blued. The stock is checkered walnut.

Exc. 275, VG 250, Good 200, Fair 150, Poor 100
No pictures just the text
I had one years ago, built under the Montgomery Ward label. I think Colt also rebranded into there pump.
In the 1963 Gun Digest the Colt custom (149.50) and the standard (89.50) are listed under the shotgun section. Also Marlin lists the Premier Mark I, II, IV . The shotgun was four shot and the bolt release is a button just forward of the trigger guard.
I hope this helps Tom F.
Old March 13, 2008, 07:43 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those relatively low prices indicate a general disdain in the U.S. for French guns, not lack of quality. To the contrary, Manufrance products are of very high quality, fully equal to anything out of Italy.

Jim
Old March 14, 2008, 07:40 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

You are very right, I just quoted price's from the book. And it is well over 10yrs old. Price's will change over time and go up as people reliaze certain guns are made much better than others. I just bought a Franchi Black Majic 12ga for $200 because it is not the hot seller right now.

Please note the price on the Colt custom was $149 in the same Gun Digest the Winchester Model 12 is listed at $109 starting price. Tom F.
Old March 15, 2008, 10:28 PM   #5
cocopolo

Thank you for the insight. You are right about the stock. It looks like checkered walnut to me...very nice varnish finish. Gun is light and hanldles well and the machanism is really smooth... I handled many U.S. made shotguns and liked them very much but this is a beauty for sure. I wonder how this got into a second hand firearms shop in Manitoba in the 1980's . If firearms could tell their own stories...........