The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2007, 09:33 AM   #51
tyrajam

Those are some great pics, the only good pictures I get are on my trailcams. The limits in Indiana are 1 buck per year, but each county has their quota for does, usually between 2-6. If you travel a little, you can shoot as many does as you can. But I'd give up shooting lots of does and one buck to move back to my homestate of Oregon where I can hunt deer, elk, bear, cougar, and draw for sheep, goat, antelope...even though when I lived there the only thing I was succesful for was deer
Old November 21, 2007, 12:18 PM   #52
gedenke

Rembrandt, with that much of a problem, I wonder if the [your] state would grant you permission to "thin the herd" a little and maybe take more deer than normally allowed? Who knows, maybe you could even sell some of the extra meat to compensate for your loss? Just a thought, I know farming is a business, and you have the right to protect your investment.
Old November 21, 2007, 12:56 PM   #53
kingudaroad

We don't grow em that big in Central Texas but here's a nice Hill Country 11 point my son shot last weekend.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jareds deer 001.jpg (128.6 KB, 575 views)
Old November 21, 2007, 04:41 PM   #54
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
Four days before the Missouri opener I blew out my right knee and that put me on crutches. I let somebody else have my stand on the first Sat. That is his 8 point (Mo. count) in the pic.

Finally on the last Sun. I got so down I just had to get out, so I dumped my crutches and rifle the ATV and headed out about 2:30PM. Got to the back fence and there stands a little 100 lb yearling looking at me. A 175 gr. Sierra put her on the deck. I managed to get her field dressed and in the back. I was back home by 3:15.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...07Kelly017.jpg
Old November 21, 2007, 06:26 PM   #55
Rembrandt

gedenke, the guy who farms my place also farms about 7000 acres. The state gave them 250 depredation tags to thin out the deer population. Tags are only good for doe's and can be taken starting August first. Deer meat cannot be resold because it's not USDA inspected. I like venison, but 250 deer is more than I can eat.
Old November 21, 2007, 07:25 PM   #56
rr4406pak

Shot this buck out behind my house on Monday 11/19 at 7:05am.
Saw him running up the cornfield when I woke up.
Ran outside wearing my PJ's and slippers.
Dropped to one knee and nailed him with a double lung shot.
Not a bad 9 point for my backyard here in New York.
Man was I psyched!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20071119124932(2).JPG (217.9 KB, 107 views)
Old November 21, 2007, 10:19 PM   #57
bclark1

as previously mentioned in another thread, worst opener ever in terms of deer numbers seen - however, this was the only guy that gave me a decent shot inside 200 meters. if you're only getting one, it's not a bad one to get.

wish i could get a better angle on the rack to show off more but the taxidermist's got him now. first buck ever, no less, i'd been passing on smaller ones and shooting does for the past few years waiting for one worth hanging up.

backstory:
second morning of the season, about 0645 he comes bounding in tail up but slows in the corner of the clearing. he seems to be heading up the hill at a slow walk after that to other folk's property and out of range. i'm in a fairly high tree stand with some branches obscuring shots out that far, so i wait until he comes into one of my holes and figure i'd better shoot or somebody else is getting him on the neighbor's property. little shaky from my perch but now or never, i shoot and he goes down. however, because of the tall grass, i can't tell whether i hit him (i figure some bucks are wiley enough to duck when alarmed), and especially not if any wound is mortal. i decided not to wait and see, but rather to be closer for any followup shots, unhitching and laddering down quickly. takes me a minute to find him in the brush, he was a bit further out than i'd initially estimated. paced it at about 175, i forgot my rangefinder on this trip so it's the best i can do. shot was high and left, hit neck and the bullet deflected inside somehow, coming out behind the outboard ear. 30-06 remington premier accutip 165gr out of a charles daley mauser. the draw i was in was steep - way too steep for my gator, even for the neighbor's ATVs - and it took 3 of us to get him up the final near-vertical edge to the crop field. butcher guessed him about 210 field dressed. 6 points on left side including the split brow tine, 4 on the right, with some nice mass. pretty happy, and will hopefully be happier with some does this weekend.
Old November 22, 2007, 12:51 AM   #58
BIGR

Nice deer bclark1, I would take a shot at it if I saw it in the woods. After getting a 9 point with the muzzleloader I went back for rifle season and got three does. I have seen 60 to 70 deer so far since NOV. 3. I have hunted hard though, but I have not seen much rut action other than the 9 point that had just made a scrape and was after a hot doe when I shot him.
More to come in December whn I get some time off to go back.
Old November 22, 2007, 10:00 AM   #59
Sarge

NICE buck, Bclark!
You too R440- I hunted hard for the first 3 days and wound up with a 'yard deer' myself this year. Take 'em where you find 'em. I am kinda disappointed that nobody got a pic of you shooting from the yard in your PJ's...that would have been a TFL classic
Old November 23, 2007, 11:07 PM   #60
7mm-08

Here are a couple of pics of the 4x4 I took this year.For the most part of the season it has been very windy seen about 11 deer in 3.5 days which is better than the 3 deer I seen last year in 10 days.A bigger one had went by 15 minutes earlier treestand was swaying too much to get a shot.Then this guy came out.Got him with my new Browning micro hunter in 7mm-08 150gr federals.Some very nice pics and bucks so far,good luck all.

Old November 24, 2007, 05:40 PM   #61
BILLDAVE

Nice Bucks all around! can't wait to ge back in the tree stand!!!!
Old November 25, 2007, 05:45 PM   #62
T-Ray

I took a nice spike (really big for a spike)after missing a smaller spike an hour before. both at about 50 yds with sako .223 with leupold vxIII 3x9-50. same night, actually about 10 minutes before i took my spike, my cousin hit a 150 lb pig in the middle of the spine on the run right after he missed it. we're mixing the venison and pork for some good sausage. this was all on the same property at different stands
Old November 25, 2007, 05:47 PM   #63
jsflagstad

I got this one with a bow this year in Wisconsin. It was 204lbs dressed and is my best with a bow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jf_arch_102007_sm.jpg (231.0 KB, 111 views)
Old November 25, 2007, 05:52 PM   #64
Charles S

jsflagstad,

Great buck....especially with a bow!
Old November 25, 2007, 08:58 PM   #65
jsflagstad

Thanks Charles,

I was amazed on how it happened. He was the last of 5 bucks in a bachelor group that walked passed my stand that mid October evening. Started with a fork buck, then a basket 6 point, then a basket 8 point, then what I now know was a small 14 point, and then this 10 point that I shot. I passed on the 14 point as I could tell that he was young (2 1/2 yr old) and knew that he will really be something in another year.

Anyway, each buck came directly under my 20 foot ladder stand and stood 5 yards in front of me quartering away on the edge of the field looking over the field for 5 or so minutes before entering the field. They did this one by one and I was amazed that they kept getting bigger and bigger as the next one came. When the 10 point that I took came up, he gave me his left side quarter first, I drew and then he turned giving me his left. I settled in shooting at an extreme downward angle and sent the arrow on its way. Somehow I got both lungs and teh heart and the expired in 25 yards.

JSF
Old November 28, 2007, 09:01 AM   #66
Full-choke

Yearling Doe!

Well, even though I have been out in the woods several times, this is my first deer folks. I've gotten plenty of other critters but never been privileged enough until now. She was only a yearling, but she presented well and I marked her for the kill.

She was about 25-30 yards away in a thicket. I planted the slug dead nuts behind her right shoulder blade and destroyed her heart. She ran about 25 yards kicked the back legs up and did a face plant. I couldn't have asked for a cleaner kill or a better day to do it!

Happy Hunting All!
F-C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deer 3.jpg (14.5 KB, 80 views)
Old November 28, 2007, 09:29 PM   #67
Kreyzhorse

Okay, I'll play. This is my first deer taken using my new Ruger No.1 in 45-70. I passed on a couple of questionable shots but finally got a clean shot on this doe at 40 yards. I hit both lungs, she ran about 100 yards and was done. Very pretty animal.
Old November 28, 2007, 09:38 PM   #68
Kreyzhorse

Sorry - forgot to post my pic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0467a (2).JPG (212.0 KB, 95 views)
Old December 2, 2007, 01:21 AM   #69
Dirty_Harry

I=Jealous

I was not able to get out this year. I had even bought a new rifle for deer hunting too.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old December 2, 2007, 09:17 AM   #70
ZeSpectre

No Joy for me

First year hunting and the schedule only allowed for 3 days out.

Day one - warm, HUMID?!?, and saw several deer...across the property line on the neighbors "no hunting please" property

Day two - 13 freakin' degrees and a chill wind to boot. Saw ONE deer meandering around in the edge of the woods. I spent almost two hours patiently waiting for it to decide to step into the clear which it never did. Six hours in that cold was enough, I went home.

Day three - Saw a deer early on, somebody's dogs showed up and spooked it. Decided to move to another location and was apparently having a clumsy day because I was making more noise than the 3'rd tank battalion. Saw nothing else that day.
Old December 2, 2007, 12:27 PM   #71
pipoman

Firearm season opened in KS last Wed. I hunt on a 40 acre tract in the middle of a section of farm ground owned by my father-in-law. I arrived at their house at around 2pm Thurs. I was sidetracked talking to my mother-in-law. At around 4pm my father-in-law came in and asked if I was waiting for the deer to find me. I went out to my area and walked about 1/2 way around it. I spotted a tiny fawn eating so I stopped and watched it. After around 5 minutes this big boy (8 point non-typical) came around the side of a cedar tree. Facing me, chest shot, S&W M29 6" P&R, Winchester platinum ammo. The entire hunt lasted around 1 hour. I'll be going out to get a doe or 2 next week.

Old December 9, 2007, 01:46 PM   #72
Capp35

Sorry, Oregon guys. I've been told not to reveal where those Blacktails are at.

Here are some more pics from my place.
The first two are the pics of the buck I got.
The third is a pic of a cull buck that I let a co-worker take.

Old December 9, 2007, 07:44 PM   #73
BIGR

Great deer guys. Sitting thinking how much I'D like to be hunting this week looking for a big white tail buck, but I gotta work this week. I get to go back on the 17th for one more hunt.
Old December 10, 2007, 02:09 AM   #74
MrCleanOK

13 points, 174 lbs. Shot him with a .243 in northwest Oklahoma. As a final "screw you", he went down halfway through crossing a river.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dads pics-245.jpg (77.2 KB, 57 views)
Old December 10, 2007, 09:42 AM   #75
Freakdaddy

This was my son's first big buck! He's 16 and he shot him opening morning in Missouri and we were hunting public land. Live weight was at 250lbs and it's a 9 point. He used a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in a .260 caliber. This is his third deer overall. Needless to say, he was walking on air all weekend long. It helped that the Ol' Man didn't get a buck...yeah, he skunked me LOL!!

[IMG][/IMG]