The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2006, 10:23 AM   #26
Whitworth

The Ol Lever Action

When I was young I was the last in our little group to not go to the .308, the .270, or the 30-06, from a lever action rifle.
Seems I was the one calling them, to see if they needed a little venison.
Old March 19, 2006, 11:26 AM   #27
FirstFreedom

along those lines, 2 days ago, I was a fly on the wall in a gun store, and the prospective buyer with his girlfriend asked the salesman about a rifle for deer hunting, and specifically about the remaining Win 70s - good choice I thought, then he said, do you have one in .300 WSM? I mentally shook my head, thinking poor choice. I just mentally picture these guys who are casual shooters and hunters, going to the range and getting their shoulders blasted by the first few rounds, then saying "damn, that's close enough" after 5 rounds of attempt to get a good zero, then going home. It's no wonder people have to have the sales clerks put a bore sighting on the rifle when they buy a new one - every shot not fired is a blessing!

I'm still looking for a good deal on a used marlin 336 - so I can have my ".30-30 magnum".
Old March 20, 2006, 01:36 PM   #28
Jack O'Conner

I was in Reading, Pennsylvania last January. This store had a dozen good Marlins for sale $175. to $225.

Gun Gallery 610-779-4160

Jack
Old March 20, 2006, 06:23 PM   #29
rlong5

Has anyone seen or tried the new "LEVERevolution" ammo by Hornady? The 30-30 load looks interesting on paper.
Old March 21, 2006, 11:30 AM   #30
Wild Bill Bucks

rlong,
First off welcome to the forum.

I have not used any of the new hornady ammo yet, but they tell a pretty good story.
Supposed to be safe in tubular feed rifle, 2400fps, 160grain bullet.Thats not bad for a 30-30.
I'll probably try some, and I'll bet if you own a 30-30, you will probably try some to.
Old March 21, 2006, 05:28 PM   #31
rlong5

Thanks, Wild Bill. You're right, I'll be looking for that ammo next time I'm in the gun shop.
Old March 21, 2006, 05:47 PM   #32
azredhawk44

So... .30-30 for bigger game hunting.

Not 200lb whitetail or black bear, but Arizona Elk.

Granted, bigger is better (especially at +100yds) and my primary rifle for this year (if drawn) is a .308.

But...Am I irresponsible for considering a .30-30 as my second weapon in case anything happens to my 308? It's the only other rifle I have (other than .22LR).

I have 2 30-30's, a 1970's model with iron sights and a brand new '06 with a swift 3-9x40 mounted up top. It is surprisingly accurate. I didn't measure, but 3-shot group all inside the bull, holes touching each other while I was standing at 50 yards. I didn't run out to 100 yards.

So, can I do it fellas? I haven't had the fortune to bag any big game yet in my very young hunting career. Only bunnies and birds so far. Haven't been drawn for deer or elk yet, only javelina and black bear. Didn't get either of those when I went out.

Elk and .30-30?
Old March 21, 2006, 06:04 PM   #33
Scorch

I don't know why you couldn't use a 30-30 on elk. Elmer Keith (you remember him of 44 mag and 45-70 revolver fame) used to say the best rifle for elk was a 25-35. As long as you don't try to shoot through the shoulderblade or take them head-on, it will kill them. I'd make sure to use 170 gr bullets, and don't expect them to drop in their tracks, but a lung shot or two should make them lay down after a minute or so.
Old March 21, 2006, 08:22 PM   #34
Fat White Boy

I have a Savage Model 340 boltie in .30-30 That I got from my dad. It is well over 50 years old. The iron sights were barely adjustable so I had a gunsmith friend put a scope mount and a 4X fixed power scope. I hand loaded some 110 gr Hornady's for it. It's not perfect but at 100 yards everything is inside the 8 Ring....And, in one of the luckiest shots I have ever seen, I saw a guy hit and kill a 250 pound hog on the run (running away from him)at over 200 yards using a Model 94 Winchester in .30-30...
Old March 23, 2006, 09:16 AM   #35
P-990

First Freedom,
I work in a sporting goods shop and we have customers all the time asking for rifles in the short magnums and regular magnums. (We stock none, though I keep telling my superiors to get the buyer to get us some! We'd sell them easily enough. Whether or not they are necessary is another matter. ) Early this year the .325 WSM was the one everybody was looking for. Must be a lot of local guys going out West elk hunting or something to need that kind of firepower!

Yet oddly enough we still sell .30-30s fairly regularly. Marlins only now, no more Winnies left in stock. They're reasonably priced, lightweight and cheap to shoot. I actually kind of want one myself, but have a .44 Magnum Marlin already and can't justify the .30-30 at the moment.
Old March 24, 2006, 11:46 PM   #36
jamaica

30-30

My Father had a 30-30. When I became old enough to hunt deer, he took me hunting. I had never even fired the gun but had used a 22 single shot quite a lot. Well that first day I killed 2 deer with the first 2 shots I had ever fired with the gun.

I soon afterwards bought my own 30-30 carbine. I started to reload for it and shot the 30-30 the way most kids shoot a 22. Squirrels, Chucks, deer, elk, rabbits, magpies, no problem. The real trick is simply shooting enough to learn what the gun can do and where to expect it to hit at various ranges.

As for a gun to use in close cover, it's hard to beat. Light and quick to point and hitting a deer under 75 yards with open sights is a piece of cake.

Does it have enough killing power? Consider this: The largest Grizzly bear ever killed was killed with a 25-35. ( Do A Google search for Old Ephriam)

I am not suggesting that the 30-30 is the best deer rifle ever, but in the hands of a good shot it will put the meat on the table. I now use a 270 for deer hunting and appreciate the flat trajectory, but my custom rifle weighs 9 pounds. Quite a load compared to packing the little carbine.
Old April 5, 2006, 01:41 PM   #37
belton-deer-hunter

i own a marlin 336 in 30-30 and it is topped by a set of see-thru rings and a 3-9x40 tasco it cant be beat for deerr it has been around for many years and killed many deer
Old April 5, 2006, 02:10 PM   #38
Dark Canyon

People who believe the .30-30 is not adequate for deer size game to 200 yards either has very little experience with the caliber or is a mediocre marksman. It also does very well on feral hogs here in Texas.

In addition to several more powerful centerfire rifles, I have always owned a Model 94 in this caliber and it does its part if I do mine.
Old April 5, 2006, 06:21 PM   #39
biglabsrule

most caliburs can take down a white tail easy enough, personaly i have 2 30-06s i use remington 760 and a 7400, have used a .270 (rem 760) and even a wingmaster 870 with slugbarrel a few times...
I always recomend any of the following and have seen them all used .270, .30-06, .30-30, .303 brit , and .35 whelen... lots of bullets can do it if placed properly, i like these ones though cause ammos easy to find in my area..

oh and on a side note, i know a kid my age that will never step away from his .30-30 and has always had luck with it, i have always used .30-06 and never had a problem, its all what you were raised with and get used to...:P
Old April 8, 2006, 08:39 PM   #40
cje1980

It is amazing how many people trash the 30-30 as a deer rifle. Are you saying a .30 caliber rifle can't take down deer reliably? The 30-30 definitely has the power just not the range. Used within its limitations it is an excellent deer rifle. 90% of deer are taken within 200yds you know. It is actually somewhat silly to take a shot longer than 400yds no matter what you have. You should always try to get in closer. In wooded country shots are typically less than 100yds and a good hunter can stalk to within handgun range.
Old April 9, 2006, 07:12 PM   #41
357shooter

I dropped a spike last year at 90 yrds.rifled sights, with a marlin 336.That was the first deer I have ever taken with a rifle.Most have been with a bow or shotgun slug.I must say i was impressed,dropped him right on the spot,like someone pulled a rug out from under him.Granted he wasn't a monster but it was meat on the table.Next season I'm going to try to take one with my winchester 94' 45.colt.Seems like It has plenty of knockdown power for whitetails.
Old April 12, 2006, 12:50 AM   #42
TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT

I have used a model 94 Winchester in 30-30 to take 2 wild boars both over 250lbs. and had complete penetration with decent exit wounds. Given this nobody can say that it is not capable of taking a deer. I recently had a Williams peep sight installed on it and I plan to one day take a deer with it. So far I have only killed 2 deer, one with a Knight 50 cal. muzzleloader and one with a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. But I will never have to think twice about the rifle being able to get the job done when I take it out of the safe.
Old April 15, 2006, 08:05 PM   #43
aspen1964

I have gone through various models of handguns, shotguns & rifles..keeping a few permanently...I recently wanted a good, all-around hunting longarm..and I found and bought a mint pre-64 Win 94 30-30..it suits me just fine here in Arizona...I plan to put in for both deer and elk tags & unless I find something I like thats bigger..this gun will go elk hunting as well...I don't plan on changing it's metallic sights for anything else...unless in an unusual situation, I would try to limit my deer shots to 200 yds or less and no more than 100 yds for an elk...my father hunted more than myself(when he was younger) and has pictures of enormous downed mulies while holding his 30-30 94..pick a good arm and practice and let others talk if they insist to..
Old April 16, 2006, 05:53 AM   #44
Jack O'Conner

This big buck fell to a single 30-30 bullet through the chest. Distance was about 125 yards or so after a half hour stalk in rough country. Plain Remington core-lockt ammo did the job. The buck bounded away at the shot but collapsed a couple jumps. The 150 grain soft tip destroyed both lungs in an instant. Even the mighty 460 Weatherby MAG could not have performed better!

I've killed 3 elk with the 30-30 cartridge. They all died and none got away. The trick is go for bone with the first shot. Here is where you aim: place your scope's vertical line even with the front edge of the front leg. Place your horizontal line about one third down from the backline. A good 170 bullet placed here will drop the animal where it stands. But watch your distance, DO NOT fire if the animal is farther than 150 yards or so.

Good 30-30 hunting to you.
Jack
Old May 5, 2006, 05:45 PM   #45
DobermansDoItGoofy

Love the 30/30

It's just a well balanced practical round... My lever gun 30/30 is light, accurate,flat shooting,quicker than a bolt gun, and packs a 30 cal. 150gr. bullet that delivers a powerful punch of 1000 - 1500lbs+ energy to just about anything within 200 yds. I personally try to limit my shot with the 30/30 to less than 100 yds.(mainly because I'm in brush/timber where that's the maximum range!) To top it all off - it has very mild recoil! Great gun!
Did I mention it has a wide variety of factory ammo and of course now it has the pointy hornady bullets!? Great caliber! Great Marlin Lever Guns!
It might not be as sexy as a $2000 Mk.V Weatherby...but it's a lot sexier than a slug gun...and it has a way of putting more meat on the table than those fancy guns that tend to end up not getting used inasmuch just getting displayed. The 30/30 lever gun is a working dog - not a show dog. In fact, I think a 30/30 might be a good choice for a kid to start out with as a first deer rifle... Afterall, if you learn how to hunt well with an iron sighted 30/30
- then you will hunt all that much better when it comes to scopes and longer ranges!!!
Old May 5, 2006, 06:24 PM   #46
Jseime

Quote:
ME, I, MYSELF cannot see hunting exotics that cost that much money without a sure clean killer like a weatherby mag.
I hate to be nitpicky but I will, these little wee exotic deer would fall to a .22lr in proper hands and a .243 in mediocre hands. I see your point about not risking the money but a Weatherby magnum shouldnt have to be used on deer. If all the country that I hunt wasnt so open Id sure as heck be shooting a .30-30 but since its mainly open and flat my .270 serves rather well.

I saw a pronghorn that someone had shot with a .22lr dead as could be laying out in our pea field a few years ago and Im sure that these deer arent much bigger than a pronghorn. (Yes I did report it the game warden said a few of those had been showing up around the area)
Old May 6, 2006, 10:15 PM   #47
aspen1964

my 'new' hunting arm...

Jack...if I get out this season, I will try for the aforementioned spot if a shot presents itself..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w94.jpg (151.2 KB, 23 views)
Old May 7, 2006, 12:28 AM   #48
kingudaroad

Maybe it's just me but are those deer both gutshot?
Old May 7, 2006, 10:15 AM   #49
kraven

I hunt with a recurve bow, primarily. When I don't fill my tags, I hunt rifle season with my bow until the last week. When the last week comes, a 3030 goes with me. Here in the Appalachians, the 3030 is nearly the perfect weapon.
Of course, the guys who sit on top of a pile of bait in a heated treestand in walking distance of their 40 thousand dollar diesel trucks that are hotrodded to the max don't care for the 3030. They have the uber-magnums. But, for those who still care to actually hunt deer and can stalk in closely, the 3030 is a great weapon.

And, for the record, I can use a large bore rifle out to 1000 meters better than most. But, I use the 3030 here because I prefer to keep honing my skills and because it is terrain appropriate. I can afford whatever I want.
Old May 7, 2006, 10:32 AM   #50
RobRocket

The new 30-30 Hornady round seems to have great results...

Hornady LEVERevolution Ammunition

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm