The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

My new BT 99

I have been looking for a trap gun for about a year now.
At first I wanted an O/U, but I really prefer my semi-auto for multi shots, so I was on the lookout for a quality single shot @ steal prices. Found one

BT 99 Special steel 34 inch fixed full choke
the stock has some serious dings. Many I can iron/steam out if I want but some are too deep.
The bluing is worn off the normal handle areas.
NO rust NO pitting
adjustable recoil pad
Engraving is still pretty sharp.
Locks up tight(not brand new, but tight)
$350

I will probably have it set up for the remington thread chokes eventually and a new stock, but something that will serve me very well to begin with and that I can add to as I get money over the next few years.
Old June 1, 2009, 09:56 PM   #2
JWT

The BT-99 is a very solid gun. Sounds like you found one at a very good price. Guy I shoot with has an older one with a fixed full choke that he bought new for $350 about 30 years and it's still going strong after many rounds of trap.

Mines newer with choke tubes and a GraCoil recoil reducer. Extremely satisfied with it and continue to be amazed with the number of them I see being used at the local club.

Congrats on the great find. Believe you'll be very happy with it.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
olddrum1

What a deal. I believe that you got the deal of the day.
Old June 2, 2009, 12:24 AM   #4
zippy13

Congratulations!
I'm with olddrum1 on this, but I'll go as far as saying you've made the deal of the month!!
Old June 2, 2009, 07:32 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I did call my local PD and give them the serial number and model and they said it checked out.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:00 AM   #6
BigJimP

Congratulations - I hope you enjoy it !
Old June 5, 2009, 08:08 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Took this out to Thursday night trap last night, worked wonderfully. I can't say I shot all that much better, but the recoil was much lighter and easier to handle. I guess the recoil pad is a very desirable no longer manufactured one and some of the guys thought that was especially good.
Old June 5, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Ruger4570

Having refinished MANY guns in my long life, I will suggest that you do not give up on a dent that didn't raise the first time. I have had dents that I have steamed 6 ot 7 times to finally get them back into shape. The only dings that do not raise are the ones where the fiber is cut. Even these can often be raised to at least a point of being able to work on them.
I love my BT, great gun, never a ftf and they don't have a lot of internal parts to break. Even worn BT's are generally pretty easily rebuilt. Great luck with yours, sounds like you hit the brass ring this time 'round.