The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2006, 01:00 AM   #1
newuspowner

saiga 12ga? or other semi-auto's

pros/cons? or any opinions on the gun,
it would only be used for plinking.
i know absoultly nothing about these guns, any other recomendations along this line of semi-auto shotguns?
Old February 28, 2006, 03:51 PM   #2
newuspowner

anything at all??
Old February 28, 2006, 04:03 PM   #3
orangeTJ

semiauto

I really don't know much about the Saiga, other than that it's design is derived from the AK47. I can't say much about that, but I can say that if I were getting a new semiauto shotgun, I'd be looking at the Remington 1100, Beretta 391 or 3901, Benelli M2 or Browning Gold. These were designed from the ground up as shotguns and have very proven track records. I'd say that any of them would be a fine choice. The Saiga doesn't look to me like it would be a particularly good clays or hunting gun, but I really don't know.

OrangeTJ
Old February 28, 2006, 04:34 PM   #4
grey_pilgrim

I'm currently saving my nickels and dimes for a saiga rifle.

I've found lots of good information at
saiga-12.com

I'm not sure i'd want a saiga shotgun as my first, as lots of uses require "fiddling". IE: bird hunting: have to block off a 5 round mag, clay target: small sight radius, and sight radius is about 3 inches above the barrel.

It would be lots of fun, though!

Edit: thanks 9mm mike! :"a" key was stuck on my computer!

Last edited by grey_pilgrim; March 1, 2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:43 PM   #5
SBrocker8

How about for HD use??? A 8 round mag full of 00 buck coming out of a semi platform is sure to ruin any BG's day. Are there any cool accessories out for it, such as muzzle brakes or recoil buffers, or even those sweet tacticool recoil reducing buttstocks???

Another question, are those sweet, tacticool recoil reducing buttstocks available for any other semis???
Old February 28, 2006, 06:37 PM   #6
marks655

Saigas are one of the best-buys out there for a shotgun or centerfire semi-auto. The only issue for me is the proprietary magazines. These have been hard to get recently, and some new Saigas come with only one magazine.
Old February 28, 2006, 09:19 PM   #7
9mmMike

corrected saiga link
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old March 1, 2006, 12:41 AM   #8
SemperKnight

I have a Saiga 12 with 19" barrel. I love the thing. Fast as you can pull the trigger and no jams. Kicks the shells out way up and behind the shooter. 3" or 2 3/4, buck or slug, your choice.
The only prob with it is magazine cost and availability. They are shipped with a 5 round mag. Any additional mags will cost $35+. I have seen 8 and 10 round mags selling for as much as $100.
I am sure though that if you look a little you can find a machinist that can make high cap mags (maybe even a 20rnd drum like the USAS12) for a much more reasonable price.
Old March 2, 2006, 11:17 AM   #9
pt92

Saiga's are great shotguns designed along the lines of the AK-47. I understand that they are just now beginning to import these once more. Another great value is the Remington 11-87P model. I think these are the two best values in semi's.

-Cheers